Considering a BIGHORN Model 3055

Superduty

Grand Canyon
Thought I would chime in here.
I have owned three of the RV's that were mentioned..

1st was a 2001 Cedar Creek 29rkbs
2nd was a 2005 Everest 366I which was traded in september of 2007 for the 2008 3670rl Bighorn...
Of the three I would have to say the Cedar Creek was the most solid built RV. From the day it was bought till the day we traded, We never had one problem with it. Never saw the dealership for any problems..
The Everest had a claim sheet one inch thick.. From fresh water tank falling out, to hydraulic hoses breaking,, due to a splice !!! at the factory. Enough said on that one.

The Bighorn has had a few problems,, from not being able to get all the water out of the fresh water tank. To the air conditioner not cooling in the front of the RV.. You can read up on all of that on this forum..

Quality wise I would have to say the Bighorn is as good as our Cedar Creek was. It seems to be a very tight coach... The everest let dust in just parked in the shop with the slides closed... The dealership said that our RV was an exception, not the norm for Everest.. I have to make one point about Keystone warranty... One time at a campground, a few friends and me were standing on the drivers side of the RV when someone pointed out what looked like a word beginning to form from the dust. ( When they sealed the windows,, The person evidently took his finger after sealing something and proceeded to write profanity on the side...) It took time, but after awhile and some gravel roads, the word begin show. After a few pictures and a call to keystone,, I was granted lifetime warranty...

I am 6'4" I can stand fully in the bedroom of the Bighorn.

The selling point for us with the bighorn was the bathroom and bedroom layout. We have 3 kids.. and privacy in the bathroom was must... Also the walk in closet in the front was big enought for me to turn it into 3 bunks for the kids...

I also have a shortbed Ford PU and have never had any problems with any of the three RV's. The Cedar Creek had the smallest turning capability. But you have to just watch out, so that the rear windows does not hit.
The Bighorn also pulls the easiest.. With the Cedar Creek pulling the hardest..Which is a plus at $4.16 diesel..

And that is my story on the three.

geeksrus

IMHO: Big Horns have better ceiling clearance in the bedroom than the Montanas, especially at the clothes closet. I'm 5'11" & was quite uncomfortable with the height when we were looking at Montanas.

Also, I had very way fewer problems in the 3.5 years I had the Cardinal compared to the multitude of problems in the two years with the Big Horn.

Eh!

DMitch

I'll share our experience with you. We own a 2010 3580 RL it is our third 5ver. We first owned a Sunnybrook we bought used, camped with that unit for a couple seasons and like it. It was a basic unit without the frills and we only had a few small problems with it. Then we retired and wanted a new unit. We searched around and decided to jump off the deep end and by a Mobile Suite. It was georgous and we were so excited about retirement and spending the winter in warm weather. That all didn't last very long. The thing was a nightmare. CONTINUOUS serious problems and I mean serious (I could write a book). It was so bad I kept it one year. We really started looking at 5vers and comparing them feature and $ wise. We finally decided on the BH, I think it is the best bang for the buck on the market. We have had only a few minor problems and absolutley love the unit.

azbound

We love our Fireplace and it does a great job of heating the Lounge and Kitchen areas. Personally I would buy another 5er with out a Fireplace

Fishingicon

We bought our 2008 BH3055 after seeing it and a Montana sitting side-by-side at a RV show in Denver - in our opinion it better met all our needs and tastes.
We have taken our BH to Alaska (over 10k miles round trip) for a summer and traveled to Montana (the state) twice. We are totally satisfied with it.
One aspect we would consider if buying again is bed size. We bought the queen size and it REALLY fills the bedroom area. We would probably get a double to gain a bit more maneuver room in the bedroom. While on the topic of beds, we purchased one of those foam pads/mattresses (about 2" or 3" thick) and it made a huge difference in sleeping comfort.
Our coach came with a fireplace, an option we would not have ordered. Now that we have it, it has become mandatory. Many time when we are plugged in and it is chilly, we can heat the coach using electricity we are already paying for vs depleting our LP (especially important on long road marches.

Peteandsharon

I have to echo all the positive comments about the 3055 RL. We have spent two seasons in our 08 3055 and we love the floor plan AND the quality. It is well built inside and out. I'm 6'4" and in no place do I feel "low ceiling'd" Plenty of headroom everywhere. Sorry Jim, I definitely have to disagree about the fireplace though. Dear wife would not have agreed to sign the papers without the fireplace and we love it. That was her most important feature. The other point is that I pull it with a short bed F250 and I have zero problem with turning radius. I am able to make a very turn when backing into my driveway and have never touched truck cab to trailer. I do not have a sliding hitch. We made the decision at purchase time to go with a standard Reese 16K hitch and are very happy with that decision. You'll love this rig!! Enjoy.

Fishingicon

I have to make one correction to my earlier post - we have a king sized bed vs a queen size = we wish we had gotten the queen.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
We to have an 08, 3055 and love it it's been up and down calif and to oregon and not one problem. I pull it with an 06 2500 and it does a great job averaging from 10 to 12 mpg. The only thing we have had to replace were the snap pins on the landing gear, the origionals were a little flimsy. You will not be disapponted in the 3055.

dynaguy

hope you enjoy your 3055 if and when you take delivery, Heartland makes real nice quality and we love our new cyclone 3950. If you need a refferral for a good honest dealer try lakeshore rv in michigan.