considering new ashland

Jonah

Hi all. We are planning to full time starting in 6 months or less. After several months of research we (that would be wife :)) have decided the Ashland as being best for our long term adventure. Really, we are in agreement - did not enjoy driving a MH down the highway esp in wind and traffic. So we have a few questions and would love to hear from you. What cc can the Ashland safely handle? I've seen a couple of different numbers in various brochures. What are your loaded trailer weights? And how do you distribute the weight for best balance? We are making a list of everything we plan on taking and weighing what we can to have some sort of beginning benchmark. We drove Chevy Silverado and really like it. Ram would be our second choice. How do you have your trucks set up? Or what are the musts to have on the TV? Larger fuel tank? Air bags? Opinions on air hitch vs trail air hitch pin? Other? I've seen reviews that say the trailer cap design affords better mpg. Really? Please share your numbers. What about the trailer? Disc brakes better than the std drums? What options are musts vs wants? Really appreciate any advice, criticism and comments you have. Thanks. Mike & Jayne

davebennington

We have a Ashland that is an upgrade form a 2006 Landmark/Golden Gate that was a lot lighter and shorter. I would not consider towing the Ashland/Landmark with any thing less than a dually truck. Our 2006 Dodge Ram has a 60 gallon aux tank, air bags, with a Reese hitch. As far as how much it weighs I cannot say as we have not been to the scales yet.
We will be installing the Mor/ryde IS system with the Mor/yde disk brakes this coming June. The options that you select are your choice what works for one person may or may not work for another.

dave

davebennington

Mike,

By the way welcome to the forum, I would suggest that after you get your rig join the Heartland Owners Club, you will meet many people and make life long friends.

dave

Jonah

Hey Dave. Thanks for the warm welcome. We will definitely join and look forward to meeting everyone. Agree on the dually and was wondering about larger fuel tank, even though that would cut into our total carry weight a bit. i have read good things about the Mor/Ryde. Not sure the budget can afford it now. Maybe a year or two. How does the Ashland feel behind your dodge?

jbeletti

Hi Mike and Jayne,

Love the Ashland - just got one myself. I see you're in TN, about 2.5 hours from me. Be a long ride but I invite you to come to Crossville, TN to see my setup. Or a shorter ride would be to your nearest TN dealer for LM 365 in Knoxville (RVs for Less).

I haven't weighed my unit but there was a well appointed LM 365 Ashland at the Chattanooga RV Show a week ago that weighed around 15k with a gross of 17.5 k - so that leaves you with quite a bit of CC.

I tow with a 2012 F450 but honestly, would not be afraid to tow with a 350/3500 of recent years. A diesel is a must and in this weight class with a full-profile coach, my suggestion is a dually. Whatever you choose, just make sure to compare the 5th wheel towing specs of the truck to the GVWR of the RV (today, 17.5k).

I have a Trailersaver TS3 air hitch that I like better than a standard hitch. I have the MORryde pin box, MORryde Independent Suspension and MORryde installed Kodiak Disc Brakes. On a coach of this weight, it's super-nice to have the stopping power of disc brakes. Landmark 365 comes standard with 8k Dexter Axles and Springs - pretty good stuff. Going with MORryde IS is a luxury. If you plan to full-time in your RV or travel North America extensively, it's going to be real nice to have IS (read: no axles or springs :)).

Wishing you all the best and please keep in touch on this forum, via email or PM with myself and others. We're all happy to help answer questions and help in any way we can.

davebennington

Mike,
The coach pulls really nice behind the Dodge, I do not know why but the fuel mileage is better than my old Landmark. It could be the flat roof, stream line front, or the fact that is higher off the ground, either case I welcome the difference. We now average around 11 to 12 mpg going to and from Florida were as before 10 to 11 mpg.

We have a RDS 60 gallon tank in the bed so far it has worked well.

dave

jbeletti

Mike,

Great chatting via PM. I remember doggy sitting Jonah while you and Jayne went into the Key West.

Jim
Dog Lover :)

Jonah

Jim, We really enjoyed meeting you in Chattanooga. Heartlands commitment to the community is a strong reason for our interest. That, and the support of the community helping each other. Spent today mowing the yard and caring for the house. Hard to believe 6 mos from now a whole life begins. Can't wait!!
This has probably already been covered but would love to hear what options others think are important and why.

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mike, you guys will love the Ashland. We picked ours up in VA. On 2/20. Wonderful coach and pulls easily behind our 3500 Diesel Dually. I would not be comfortable with anything less. It tows much better than our Sundance did and it is 3-4K heavier. Go figure. The only thing about the Ashland is that there is so much dang storage in this thing, that I have to ask Janet where everything is!

Have fun and safe travels!!

HEH458

Mike, as others have said, I would recommend the Mor Ryde IS withe disc brakes. Another thing I would suggest, especially since you will be fulltiming, is the 3rd ac option. In Temps above 95* it will keep your wife happy.