Cracked wheel fairings

I have a 2011 North Trail 22FBS with the Wide Trax axle system that I have towed for a little over 10,000 miles. On the most recent trip I noticed that there was something flapping on the driver side by the wheels and pulled over fearing tire problems. I found that 6 of the 12 mounting screws had cracked plastic around the fairing. I removed the fairing and placed it in the back of the truck. I feel that this is a design issue in that there is no support for the center of the fairing and it is free to move far too much. I contacted the factory and was told to order a new fairing.

Has anyone had this problem and made a repair of any kind? If this was fiberglass I know I could repair it with no problem but I am not sure of what type of patching material will adhere to this plastic.

Any advise would be appreciated.

hole4.JPG
hole1.JPG

priorguy

Find a plastic welder in your area, any motorcycle shop should no one. It won't look perfect but it will work. I've had it done on bike parts.

danemayer

I had a crack that was a couple of inches long and used a thin layer of putty-like epoxy from Home Depot. Comes in a package about the size of a roll of nickels. Cut off a piece and knead it, then apply. Covered with a strip of Gorilla Tape. Has been holding for 7 months.

1231ChaseB

Is it possible that maybe this is a result of a tire being out of balance and giving you some shaking or vibrating ?
chaseb

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's probably due to the lack of support. I had the fairings on both sides at the Goshen rally. Drove 350 miles and one of the mounts on the DS was cracked again. That sides flops in the breeze as you drive since there's little support for it.

Ron-Cookie

Go check out Ebay.... Do a search "heartland fender skirt" and you will find some that are available...

Is it possible that maybe this is a result of a tire being out of balance and giving you some shaking or vibrating ?
chaseb

The first 4 tires were those biased ply and they deffinitely may have caused vibration the way they cupped. The new radials are fine though.

HappyKayakers

Fiberglass repair kit. Apply material on the back side. Yes, you'll still see the crack on the other side but it will hold forever.

It's probably due to the lack of support. I had the fairings on both sides at the Goshen rally. Drove 350 miles and one of the mounts on the DS was cracked again. That sides flops in the breeze as you drive since there's little support for it.

That is exactly what I think it is. The guy that called back from customer support suggested that I fabricate a brace and install it myself.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That is exactly what I think it is. The guy that called back from customer support suggested that I fabricate a brace and install it myself.

Yeah, it's on my fall work list at the storage yard before the bottom drops off the thermometer.

I picked up some JB stick, cleaned and roughed up the surface and built it up on the back side. I think it is going to work but the braces are deffinitely going to be made.

RoadJunkie

Mine was too far gone for a decent repair so I ordered a new skirt. Before installing the new one I renforced the area around the mounting holes with JB weld, on the hidden side, of course. We have driven about 900 miles with no problems...we'll see.

Theresau

Heartland replaced for us at the Goshen rally. I guess they cost about $50 to replace but was done for free at the rally.

I have a 2011 North Trail 22FBS with the Wide Trax axle system that I have towed for a little over 10,000 miles. On the most recent trip I noticed that there was something flapping on the driver side by the wheels and pulled over fearing tire problems. I found that 6 of the 12 mounting screws had cracked plastic around the fairing. I removed the fairing and placed it in the back of the truck. I feel that this is a design issue in that there is no support for the center of the fairing and it is free to move far too much. I contacted the factory and was told to order a new fairing.

Has anyone had this problem and made a repair of any kind? If this was fiberglass I know I could repair it with no problem but I am not sure of what type of patching material will adhere to this plastic.

Any advise would be appreciated.

View attachment 26860
View attachment 26861

Heartland replaced for us at the Goshen rally. I guess they cost about $50 to replace but was done for free at the rally.

I guess they admit that it is a problem but there was no offer over the phone to make it right. I am trying a repair on my own. It sounds like they brought them to the rally with them.

danemayer

I guess they admit that it is a problem but there was no offer over the phone to make it right. I am trying a repair on my own. It sounds like they brought them to the rally with them.
Heartland brought the parts needed at the National Rally because the repair requests were submitted in advance so parts would be available. If you attend the 2015 Rally in Goshen (odd years are home rallies), you'll be able to submit a couple of minor service requests too.

Heartland brought the parts needed at the National Rally because the repair requests were submitted in advance so parts would be available. If you attend the 2015 Rally in Goshen (odd years are home rallies), you'll be able to submit a couple of minor service requests too.

By then it is going to be fixed. I went to Camping World and checked out the new trailers. The fenders are made of a different material but there is still no bracing. With the wider space of the Wide Trax I think the brace is needed.

Manzan

I have 14300 miles on my 2011 21fbs and I took delivery on March 1, 2011. Same wide track that the 22fbs has. No cracking at all so I think how it was assembled must be a factor. No bracing for them but I keep thinking I should apply some. I have towed in some pretty big winds and still no problems.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I noticed at the Pomona RV show today that many rigs, including some Heartland models, seem to be using a heavier material for the fender skirts for the new model year. It appears to be a heavier thickness, pebbled finish plastic. Almost like an ABS type material.

Hopefully that design change will help resolve the vibration/cracking issue of these skirts. Trace

Last edited: