Cyclone 4200 (2015) Spare Tire

im_1406

We lost our spare tire on our trip home from the dealership. Since I had paid for an upgrade to Michelin G614's, they kindly acknowledged they may not have tightened the spare correctly back in place and agreed to replace at their cost. The rim I received does not match my others and the tire is a ProMeter G rated (so they obviously took off the "Blowmax" and put this on instead). I am inquiring back with them why the switch but wanted to know if others have a matching spare rim or the typical white kind as seen in photo???

While on the subject, can I use the LevelUp system to change a tire? I'm sure this has been discussed before so apologies for rehashing. Bottle jack instead?

Thanks in advance. image.jpg

DocFather

We lost our spare tire on our trip home from the dealership. Since I had paid for an upgrade to Michelin G614's, they kindly acknowledged they may not have tightened the spare correctly back in place and agreed to replace at their cost. The rim I received does not match my others and the tire is a ProMeter G rated (so they obviously took off the "Blowmax" and put this on instead). I am inquiring back with them why the switch but wanted to know if others have a matching spare rim or the typical white kind as seen in photo???

While on the subject, can I use the LevelUp system to change a tire? I'm sure this has been discussed before so apologies for rehashing. Bottle jack instead?

Thanks in advance. View attachment 36695

The Lippert manual says "no" but it works fine as others will attest.

danemayer

Hi im_1406,
Since I had paid for an upgrade to Michelin G614's
Did you mean Goodyear G614?

If you spent the money on a Goodyear G614, I'd think you'd want the replacement to be a Goodyear G614. Goodyear charges a premium price and provides premium service if something goes wrong on a G614.

As for changing tires, Lippert currently advises against doing so, but in the past, Lippert reps used to tout it as an advantage.

I've used our 4 point auto-leveling jacks to change tires. As a safety measure, you'll want to be hitched up and have the truck chocked.

pegmikef

Since I had paid for an upgrade to Michelin G614's

If you paid for the upgrade when you ordered your rig and it was done when your rig was built then the spare Heartland provides is in fact a G614, but the rim is just a generic steel rim and doesn't match the others.

im_1406

Right....Goodyear! I'm replacing my Michelin Tow tires later this week....must be on my mind. Thanks for your info!

vakthund

... if others have a matching spare rim or the typical white kind as seen in photo???
While on the subject, can I use the LevelUp system to change a tire?
We ordered the G614 from Heartland and the spare has the same rim as the other wheels. We had two flats on our trip to FL due to valve stem issues so we had good looks at the spare :)
We have LevelUp and used that to change the wheels. Back on the road in less than 10 minutes.

Sowie

Does anyone know if the 2016 4200 comes with a lug wrench? My sister in laws keystone came with a wrench located on the wall of the basement but I haven't come across one unless it's mounted somewhere hidden. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Does anyone know if the 2016 4200 comes with a lug wrench? My sister in laws keystone came with a wrench located on the wall of the basement but I haven't come across one unless it's mounted somewhere hidden. Thanks.

I don't think Heartland includes lug wrenches with the trailers.

The owner's manual says: Always use an accurate torque wrench to tighten wheel nuts.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

That may not be a lug wrench. Our ElkRidge had a hand crank type wrench that lowered the spare tire from under the front of the trailer, but it did not fit the lugs.

OEFVET

Thanks in advance. View attachment 36695

After the dealer installs your new matching wheel and tire in the spare tire carrier I would strongly encourage you to make sure it is secured correctly. I've seen several secured incorrectly. If not you could possible loose a considerably more expensive spare. Level up is the way to go when changing a tire on these rigs. Manual mode lifting one side off the ground at a time.

OEFVET

That may not be a lug wrench. Our ElkRidge had a hand crank type wrench that lowered the spare tire from under the front of the trailer, but it did not fit the lugs.

Yes the hand crank type wrench is for lowering the spare tire only. The toy haulers don't usually come with a lug wrench. I made mine out of a 20" 1/2" drive extension. I bent it and use it as a lug wrench for the toy hauler. It's still 18" before the bend. Works really well and if necessary you could easily get a pipe over it for more leverage. Keep in mind this tool is for removal ONLY. You still need a torque wrench to reinstall lugnuts.

IMG_2181.jpgIMG_2182.jpg

Sowie

Yes you all correct the wrench I saw is for lowering the spare. And since ours doesn't have the same setup for mounting the spare tire then why would we have that lowering wrench. duh! Thanks all. Next time I'll think for a minute before posting.:confused:

danemayer

Yes you all correct the wrench I saw is for lowering the spare. And since ours doesn't have the same setup for mounting the spare tire then why would we have that lowering wrench. duh! Thanks all. Next time I'll think for a minute before posting.:confused:

Our rig came with a wrench to lower the spare and also manually operate the rear stabilizers in case of electrical/motor problem.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Not a dumb question. I think we thought it was a lug wrench, until we actually tried to use it.

rocrider50

We ordered the G614 from Heartland and the spare has the same rim as the other wheels. We had two flats on our trip to FL due to valve stem issues so we had good looks at the spare :)
We have LevelUp and used that to change the wheels. Back on the road in less than 10 minutes.

Curious how you used the level-up? While it levels the vehicle I have not seen it lift the tires, unload certainly. How did you lift the tire off the ground?