cyclone affordability !

torque1911

I really like the 4100 king that my local dealer has (GF loves it) ! but how do u people afford these things r u putting half down & financing the rest 15yrs or more ? these things r not cheap ! r they really worth the the money ! i wish the quality was like the big 3 then the prices would seem fair !
what is the secret to get a good deal ? the one he has is loaded with every option minus dual pain windows & G rated tires
maybe i should buy a smaller 5th wheel & just tow an aluminum trailer behind for the toys ? my head hurts from overthinking this stuff !

FiremanBill

Look at some of the bigger volume dealers. We got ours at RV outlet in Danville VA. There are others like them as well. We got ours there $10k cheaper than anywhere else we could find around here. We were fortunate in that our old 5th wheel was paid for and we had some cash to put down as well.

You can go as far as 20 years, like a second mortgage really. I wouldn't recommend taking 20 years to pay one off though!!!

They are not cheap for sure and you have to be committed to this thing. We have decided that some things are less important, like a new car for the wife. Her Jetta is paid for and runs and drives fine so we will keep it til the wheels fall off of it. We skimp in other areas as well to make it affordable.

Look at used as well. You can find some pretty good deals out there.

jeffdee

Torque, I understand the point you are making. The MSRP on these Cyclones are much too high. However, you should be able to negotiate the purchase price about 25% off MSRP price. To purchase one is still pricey and I suggest taking the 20 year loan with simple interest. If budgeted and planned well I suggest double (or more) monthly payments to reduce the loan to a 7 to 8 year repayment plan to keep the final cost more reasonable.

There is nothing wrong with purchasing used Cyclone that is several years old. This will let you see how they age and how much maintenance is required and how much they depreciate. Only you will know when to spring for a new one.

szewczyk_john

I have a Road Warrior because they were less expensive than the Cyclone counter-part. Exact same floor plan with less standard equipment and the RW has less layers to the exterior wall than the Cyclone models. Still rock solid quality in my opinion. On top of the cheaper sticker price I also bought from a wholesaler or high volume dealer. I was able to save just under 12000 by driving 600 miles to get my unit. One draw back to this approach is a lot of dealers will give you a herd time about warranty work if you do not buy from them but I figured that I would do most of my own repairs anyway. My unit never went to a dealer for any warranty work anyway and even if I would have had to, the closest dealer to me is 2 hours away.

We had been looking for a new trailer for about 5 years but could not justify the increased expenses that went along with it. When we saw the Road Warrior floor plan, we knew we wanted it. It took some time to justify the expense but we did it and we have not regretted that decision once.

I am younger than most on this forum at 44 years old but I learned along time ago that you get what you pay for. Likewise, I'll frequent a local mom and pop store that has better customer service and pay a little more then to drive to a big box store with terrible service just to save a few pennies. When I compared Cyclones and RWs to other brands that were around the same price point, quality and customer service convinced me that I was making the right decision to buy a heartland product.

Snaredrum

Just depends are what you are willing to sacrifice. I'm 53 and only have 7 more years on my house and will be debit free from everything except the 4100 King. I bought a used 2008 Weekend Warrior for my first TH so I could see if we would even use it much. Well, we loved it! We decided that the next one would be new and have all the things that our first one didnt. We bought the 2015 4100 King at a local dealer and will not look back. We decided to quit eating out so much and save that money for the new TH payment which is 240 bucks more a month than our last unit. Take your time and think it out. You can make it happen.

jeffdee

Snaredrum, you hit the nail on the head. I am 61 and retired. I made the same economic decisions and bought a new 2014. I haven't looked back either.

sbryan

Don't discard the usef market. We bought a used 2007 Cyclone last year for $25k. We spent two months in it this summer and love it more and more. No, it doesn't have a big screen TV or some of the fancy stuff of the newer models but it has been trouble free and we could pay cash for it. Not everyone can or should buy a new $90k RV. We didn't and haven't regretted our decision one bit.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Let me add this. RV dealers make up "their" own prices (MSRP). Get a build HL Cyclone build sheet from your dealer...take it home...pick the options you want...add it up. Then take that price and deduct 25-30% off that. The build sheet prices are HL's MSRP prices. The dealer is still making a profit.....just not 30K profit. BTW, no matter what you do....put good "G" rated tires on it ASAP. Personally, I would order one with the options you want rather than buying off the lot.

I guess I'll bring this thread back to life, I'm 27 and work for Schlumberger. I've lived in 2 older 5th wheels that I paid cash for and always dreamed of these newer TH. Came 1 pen signing away from getting a brand new one few weeks ago till I found a 2015 cyclone 4200 HD fully loaded for 50k. Usaa was more than willing to write that check for me. I got tired of wasting money at apartments so as soon as my lease is up next month I'll be full timing in the cyclone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to start with seedealercost.com Then look at nada pricing, then do a large spreadsheet, and then big bada boom, you come up with MSRP - 32%. Then you have the wife haggle off an additional 2%, and throw in any upgrades at the factory cost. That's how it's done. That was on a new non stock trailer on a 2017, with older ones sitting new on the lot.

jam20ster

As most have stated the MSRP is a much inflated price. Our dealership had a no haggle price of MSRP -34%. I had another deal on the table with another dealership who wanted to play the back and forth game and still wanted $13000 more. There are some good deals out there, just make sure you are willing to walk away though in order to find them.

A buddy of mine is looking for a new 5th wheel and the dealership he went to told him they needed $500 deposit to quote him a price. Some of these sales people/sales managers blows my mind.

Atvmos

We just picked up a 2017 4100 for just under xxk fully loaded less dual pane option. We were being told that this unit at xxk was a great deal and I should jump on it ASAP. It took some time but I am satisfied with what I paid.

Last edited by a moderator:

ray587

Look for leftover prior year ones. That's what I did and bought my 2012 Roadwarrior for 1/2 of msrp. It was 9 months old and dealer was ready to let it go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope the OP has found one haha, thread is 2 yrs old. I got a pretty good steal on a 15 cyclone 4200 HD fully loaded with 5 year extended warranty for xxk

John & Kimberly
2015 cyclone 4200
2007.5 ram 3500 qclb dually 4x4 g56 6 speed. Not stock :)
2015 odes raider 800 not stock either. :)
1984 supra comp ts6m ski boat