Damaged Camper and Landing Gear-- Repaired--

Status
Not open for further replies.

iaflatlander

Re: Damaged Camper and Landing Gear

absolutely not! In fact, if it was me, i am not sure that i would even settle to take the same rig home, ever. *** Demand that in-depth inspection and then a 5-year warranty on the soundness of the structure. If this was an airplane, and it was damaged in the exact same way, the faa would not even issue an airworthiness certificate without certified inspections.

x2..

Last edited by a moderator:

Bones

Absolutely not! In fact, if it was me, I am not sure that I would even settle to take the same rig home, EVER. *** Demand that in-depth inspection and then a 5-year warranty on the soundness of the structure. If this was an airplane, and it was damaged in the exact same way, the FAA would not even issue an airworthiness certificate without certified inspections.

Very Good point. I use to work in the trucking industry and have seen what happens to trailers when they are dropped. A lot of damage that you don't necessarily see. I have a back up plan but I want to afford the opportunity for the company to make it whole. I will request a certified inspection from and independent. Now I just need to find a reputable inspector capable of inspecting a rig to this degree needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeandconnie

Wow! My heart feels for you. My DW would be upset too if this happened to ours. I believe the insurance totaled a former Heartland members Big Horn after he dropped it off his truck up at a Northern California Rally. It didn't look that bad on the outside but something was bent on the frame.

brianlajoie

I would look for an independent RVIA/RVDA certified mobile service repair with experience in frames / structures. I would also ask Heartland and maybe Lippert (I assume they made the frame) if there is someone they might recommend or what to look for in an inspection. It sounds like you need someone to look at your trailer that has actually seen this type of damage before. I think you are on the right path in terms of getting as much information as you can. I would look high and low for that person. Good luck.

OEFVET

In my opinion you should contact Heartland and advise them of the business practices of their dealer. I would be very angry if a dealer did that type of damage and said NOTHING. You should also contact your insurance company and explain to them all the details related to the dealership. Once they understand I can't see them working with the dealership. Once your insurance company gets involved and it is determined that more hidden damage is present it will be kept under the same claim. Once the dealership admitted to damaging the rig they are liable. They have their own insurance as well.

BLUF - I can only imagine how stressful this is for you both. I would definitely contact my insurance company and attorney. This dealership lost all credibility when they damaged your rig without telling you.

Bones

I would look for an independent RVIA/RVDA certified mobile service repair with experience in frames / structures. I would also ask Heartland and maybe Lippert (I assume they made the frame) if there is someone they might recommend or what to look for in an inspection. It sounds like you need someone to look at your trailer that has actually seen this type of damage before. I think you are on the right path in terms of getting as much information as you can. I would look high and low for that person. Good luck.

I will look however this dealer is a certified under the RVDA website. I did send Lippert an email asking about damage and I have yet to hear from them. Heartland is out for the weekend I think so I will make sure I contact them on Monday

Bones

In my opinion you should contact Heartland and advise them of the business practices of their dealer. I would be very angry if a dealer did that type of damage and said NOTHING. You should also contact your insurance company and explain to them all the details related to the dealership. Once they understand I can't see them working with the dealership. Once your insurance company gets involved and it is determined that more hidden damage is present it will be kept under the same claim. Once the dealership admitted to damaging the rig they are liable. They have their own insurance as well.

BLUF - I can only imagine how stressful this is for you both. I would definitely contact my insurance company and attorney. This dealership lost all credibility when they damaged your rig without telling you.

I plan on contacting Heartland but My insurance company at this point in time has washed their hands of the matter. They said it is unheard of that a dealer would admit they dropped the camper. I will say that the dealer did admit to the fault That itself speaks a little bit about them. I plan on getting heartland involved because this will affect them as well because they cover the trailer and the frame.

OEFVET

I am hopeful that you get this resolved to your satisfaction. Just be mindful, your insurance company works for you. If you have comprehensive and you insist on making a claim, they can't walk away. But if you would rather keep them out of it contacting Heartland is the way to go.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I plan on contacting Heartland but My insurance company at this point in time has washed their hands of the matter. They said it is unheard of that a dealer would admit they dropped the camper. I will say that the dealer did admit to the fault That itself speaks a little bit about them. I plan on getting heartland involved because this will affect them as well because they cover the trailer and the frame.

Once when I had my trailer at the dealership getting warranty repairs, when I arrived to pick it up after three weeks of being there, it had a flat tire.

I know, not as serious of a matter as your issue, but they tried to say that I brought it in that way, even though in all of the phone conversations we had over that three week period, nobody ever mentioned that it had a flat tire, plus it was not in the same spot where I dropped it!

They fixed the tire (ie.- put a patch on it) . . . then tried to charge me $40 for the fix!

On my way home I stopped by a tire shop and had them put a plug in the tire.

By the way, last week while we were in Pheonix getting an axle repair on our trailer, I saw them move several trailers around using a forklift with the trailer slides out . . . I thought this was strange.

lwmcguir

I would ask for a new Coach and let them have that one, had the same thing happen many years ago and wound up with a door and ceiling crack issue down the road

brianharrison

Insurance companies are not your friend. I would investigate seeking legal help.

Brian

Bones

I would ask for a new Coach and let them have that one, had the same thing happen many years ago and wound up with a door and ceiling crack issue down the road
Thank you. So I am assuming they said they would fix your landing gear and that was all? Do you know how many years it took for things to show up?

HornedToad

The insuring agreement in your auto policy, Part D Coverage for Damage to your Auto, reads "We will pay for direct and accidental loss"
It doesn't say if it's your/their fault, if they do/don't have insurance, if they have/haven't assumed liability, or if the adjusters/agents hands are clean or dirty...
The insurance company can only close your claim "wash their hands" by paying your loss or by denying your claim in writing, after an investigation, citing an exclusion.

Often it is better to pursue a claim without a deductible directly against the liable parties coverage if they and the insurance carrier are cooperative.
However, if they become adversarial it is well worth the deductible, which you should recover, to have your insurance company pay the claim and deal with/collect from the other party.

This probably doesn't matter because most often your deductibles are the same, but I am of the opinion that this would be a Collision loss.
"Collision" means the upset of your covered auto or impact with another vehicle or object.

Bones

I think it would be safe to say that you will start finding issues (related or not) with your first trip out. I assume you are not full-timing.

This is not directly related to your issue but in 1996 I bought a new Kubota tractor. Three months later the diesel motor spun a rod bearing. It was obviously a factory defect. I refused to allow the dealer to rebuilt the new motor in a new tractor. I wanted the motor replaced with a new motor. The Kubota rep and the dealer decided to replace the whole tractor with a new one. This was more than what I asked for.

Moral of the story: Decide what you feel is a fair settlement to make you "whole" and stick to your guns. Time is on your side. The final settlement may meet and even exceed your expectations. Stories like yours makes it into forums like these and does have a lasting effect for this dealer. Can you imagine what will happen to the service department for this dealer if word got out that they severely damaged an rv and did not make it "right"? You are correct in not revealing the name of this dealer until it reaches a point that you will not be fully "compensated". Give this dealer an opportunity to make things right, but hold him to a deadline.
Thank you. Based on the opinions I have received My wife and I have decide how to proceed. You are correct that we are not full timing. The kids love to go camping. I will post the resolution at a later time. Thank you all for your help.

TX_Clay

This tells me to check my 5er with a fine tooth comb when I get it back from the dealership. I will run everything up and down as well as out and in, open every door and do a visual before I accept it back. Sorry your going through this, but good lesson for me to hear.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

If the frame is bent anywhere near the landing gear and you have a buldge/buckle in the floor inside. I would refuse to ever use/tow that trailer again. A bent frame cannot be repaired no matter who tells you it can. These frames are not like a car/truck frame. It would very..very hard to unbend an "I" beam frame and make it right. They cannot be put on any kind of frame measureing machine like they use in auto body shops that use lasers to measure everything. The whole house part of your coach would have to be removed down to the bare frame to do that...ain't gonna happen. Every 5er I have seen that this happens to, develops cracks at the slide opennings and other weak points the side walls. Sorry this happened to you, but you need to stand firm on this...get an a legal adviser involved. It may take awhile before the dust settles. BTW, do you have anything in writting from the dealer that they dropped and damaged your trailer...if not get one. Also that they are fully liable for any costs that YOU incure because of this. I would do this NOW before they try to weasle out of it. Bottom line..JMHO...demand a new coach on their dime and not any low balling because your coach is 6 months old.

Jim.Allison

Its a 2015, and even if it were not, nothing less than perfect is acceptable. Some one mentioned that an insurance company would total it and you would be stuck with the balance. This would not be the case in my mind, the person liable would still have to make up the difference. Stand your ground and reject any notion of compromise that does not make you whole again. I guarantee that the next step up from reasonable negotiation will not fare well for those liable and they know it. And quite frankly we are talking less than $100,000 this is really small potatoes in the big scheme of things when talking about a claim for damages.

Bones

If the frame is bent anywhere near the landing gear and you have a buldge/buckle in the floor inside. I would refuse to ever use/tow that trailer again. A bent frame cannot be repaired no matter who tells you it can. These frames are not like a car/truck frame. It would very..very hard to unbend an "I" beam frame and make it right. They cannot be put on any kind of frame measureing machine like they use in auto body shops that use lasers to measure everything. The whole house part of your coach would have to be removed down to the bare frame to do that...ain't gonna happen. Every 5er I have seen that this happens to, develops cracks at the slide opennings and other weak points the side walls. Sorry this happened to you, but you need to stand firm on this...get an a legal adviser involved. It may take awhile before the dust settles. BTW, do you have anything in writting from the dealer that they dropped and damaged your trailer...if not get one. Also that they are fully liable for any costs that YOU incure because of this. I would do this NOW before they try to weasle out of it. Bottom line..JMHO...demand a new coach on their dime and not any low balling because your coach is 6 months old.

The way the frame and how the RV is wrapped around the frame is what worries me. This stuff is hard to see and evaluate. You would, like you said, take the unit off the frame in order to check squareness. Another point is that it fell hard enough to bend the supports and crack some welds. This unit weights 13,500 empty with over 2k lbs pin weight. All of that force coming down from a high height, is enough to cause a momentum around the pin area stressing all points rearward. I have not run calculations on the forces the unit saw but they should be significant. I am assuming that their could be significant damage that is unseen to the RV, in part by the dent in the kitchen floor, the vinyl no longer being adhered to the floor and the main sofa/dinning slide not going out completely. All of this leads me to conclude their is a problem. We do have a statement that they dropped the RV. We will see how this week plays out. Hopefully everyone is respectable and honest and does the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.