Damaged Camper and Landing Gear-- Repaired--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bones

Re: Damaged Camper and Landing Gear

Sounds like great info. I would contact Lippert personally, to see if they have actually been contacted. It would not be hard for the dealer to "Have lippert come and inspect it". The dealer lied to you before, make sure he does not continue too.

Good Idea

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Maybe even ask to be present during the inspection, that way the dealership can't twist things or downplay the results in their favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Maybe even ask to be present during the inspection, that way the dealership can't twist things or downplay the results in their favor.

I plan on requesting the report from Lippert and not from the dealership.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Bones, your dealer said that someone from Indiana is going to drive/fly to Maryland?? I would do as others have suggested. Contact Lippert yourself and make sure that the "story" is true. Find out the persons name and PH# that is coming. If it is at all possible...you should be there to make sure there is no hanky panky going on. Sorry, I'm old now and don't trust anybody....been being lied to for too many years (70). Point in fact....had my coach repaired by a RV service center I thought I could trust. When the Horn was done, they gave me a pix of the work in progress. Outer skin peeled back and the plywood bracing they installed. The pix is a fraud..its not my coach and there is not any fiberglass repair to the outer skin. Should I contact my insurance Co. and tell them....sure....but what would I gain.

Bones

Bones, your dealer said that someone from Indiana is going to drive/fly to Maryland?? I would do as others have suggested. Contact Lippert yourself and make sure that the "story" is true. Find out the persons name and PH# that is coming. If it is at all possible...you should be there to make sure there is no hanky panky going on. Sorry, I'm old now and don't trust anybody....been being lied to for too many years (70). Point in fact....had my coach repaired by a RV service center I thought I could trust. When the Horn was done, they gave me a pix of the work in progress. Outer skin peeled back and the plywood bracing they installed. The pix is a fraud..its not my coach and there is not any fiberglass repair to the outer skin. Should I contact my insurance Co. and tell them....sure....but what would I gain.

That was very sneaky. The good news is that the info came from heartland that the dealer would have a representative but I did cover a few bases and asked the contact I have if he has seen anything come across about requesting an inspector.

Jim.Allison

"He who has the most paperwork wins." Sounds like the dealer has arranged to get himself some paperwork. If Lippert is looking at your rig, they need to be looking at it at a professional repair facility other than that dealership.

As far as asking to be present, I would not ask, it would merely be a "foregone conclusion" that I would be present.

Bones

Good evening all. Update on our camper.
First I must say that Heartland and Lippert were a very big help during this process. We received our unit back this past Thursday and I have had the weekend to go through it as best as I can. Heartland worked with The dealership and the dealership agreed to have the unit inspected by a Lippert representative. That inspection came back all clear for the unit and I have a signed inspection report stating that fact. The dealership although, they dropped the unit did honor the damage and make right their error. The least they did was to included some stabilizers for me and delivered my unit back to me. They also apologized for their mistake.
A few pointers for future reference. The lawyer was not much use for this instance neither was our insurance company. I made out better on my own with a lot of leg work. I also found out that if I was going to pursue this that I would have to retain a lawyer in the state that the dealership was centered in. There are many other reasons not to pursue with an attorney unless there is a significant amount of money involved. This is due to the fact that the unit was not damaged beyond repair.
We have scheduled some camping trips and can't wait to get out on the open road. I have included a few pictures :)

IMG_20150319_110717.jpgIMG_20150322_110628.jpg
0322151514.jpg0322151514a.jpg0322151514b.jpg0322151515a.jpg0322151515b.jpg

jayc

Legendary Member

I'm glad you got your trailer back and repaired. I hope that everything works out for you and your rig in the future. Please circle back and tell us how things are working out.

Jim.Allison

Glad you got it back and you are happy. But the fact is that you would not have the security and confidence in the repairs had you not pursued it so aggressively. It was your diligence as a package that steered the repairs and inspection that you desired. You may have compromised a little because of impracticalities, but you got your repairs and inspections as you wanted. Which was way more than that dealer wanted to give in the beginning.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Congrats on getting a positive outcome. Glad they made it right. Now go have fun!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Yes!

Glad you got it back and it looks like they did a great job on the repair!

Now, after looking at the photos you posted, that first shot of the whole trailer looks like you still have the Towmax (AKA - BlowMax) Power King or Tow King tires on it.

Get rid of those tires . . . ASAP!

Before you find out the hard way . . . and earn a free lifetime membership to the BlowMax Club!

There are countless topic threads about those tires here and eleswhere . . . and which ones to get as replacement tires!

Bones

You are correct. I still have those tires on there. I have a difficult time keeping the right air pressure in them. They seem to loose air at the drop of a hat. I have one rear tire that looses more than 20 lbs of air just sitting. I have been reading the threads and the only question I have is why does the manufacture keep putting those tires on if they are so bad? But that is another question for another thread.

whp4262

You are correct. I still have those tires on there. I have a difficult time keeping the right air pressure in them. They seem to loose air at the drop of a hat. I have one rear tire that looses more than 20 lbs of air just sitting. I have been reading the threads and the only question I have is why does the manufacture keep putting those tires on if they are so bad? But that is another question for another thread.

If you are loosing pressure and can't find the leak there is a possibility that air is getting through the inner lining and between the belts. Watch the tires closely for deformation and bubbles or bulges.

Jim.Allison

Ditto!

You will loose a towmax in an abnormally short period of time, and your rig will be back in the shop with $2K worth of damage. 30 days downtime while the dealer waits for the parts. Its $2k if it does not damage under the slide out. Sorry but this is critical. Mine went 90 days 1800 miles. Others have gotten more but not much more.

Smart money will not argue this point, just take our word for it, and look for a solution.

I have put together a $600 American E rated LT tire solution. I will repost it if you want it, but it involves selling your NEW "will pops, blowmax" tires.

Yes!

Glad you got it back and it looks like they did a great job on the repair!

Now, after looking at the photos you posted, that first shot of the whole trailer looks like you still have the Towmax (AKA - BlowMax) Power King or Tow King tires on it.

Get rid of those tires . . . ASAP!

Before you find out the hard way . . . and earn a free lifetime membership to the BlowMax Club!

There are countless topic threads about those tires here and eleswhere . . . and which ones to get as replacement tires!

Roller4tan

There's also the possibility that your tredit rims are losing air. I've had three bad rims from them over two different trailers from two different manufacturers. The first two rims had hairline cracks, the last one had a pin hole. Tredit replaced all 3 no charge (10 year warranty).

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Bones, great news about your 5er. Looks good....so go have some fun. BTW, what was causing the buckle in the floor you mentioned??

Bones

Bones, great news about your 5er. Looks good....so go have some fun. BTW, what was causing the buckle in the floor you mentioned??

Hi Bob,
Hard to tell if it was the slide or the people taking the fridge out of the slide. There is a good chance they dropped the fridge on the floor when they were removing it. I drove it around town for a little bit and everything seems to work good. Only thing I had to do was to put my wedge back for my Sidewinder and install the stabilizers.

Bones

There's also the possibility that your tredit rims are losing air. I've had three bad rims from them over two different trailers from two different manufacturers. The first two rims had hairline cracks, the last one had a pin hole. Tredit replaced all 3 no charge (10 year warranty).

How can I tell if the rims are the cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.