Deadbolt lock recall

DickO

Have a 2010 Bighorn. Were Fastec Industrial Corp. locks used on the 2010s? I read where they are being recalled and the picture of the locks looked like the same as on our unit.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
My 2010 ElkRidge has the Fastec lockset, and had it jam as reported. We no longer use that lockset. I still have the old one. I called the Fastec 800 number and left a message but no one has called me back yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

B

BouseBill

Bringing this back to the front so to speak. Was wondering what was happening with this recall as we have heard nothing from Heartland or Fastec concerning this recall.
Went up on their webpage (FASTEC) and filled out the form for a new lock set. We'll see what happens.

Bill

Gizzy

Bringing this back to the front so to speak. Was wondering what was happening with this recall as we have heard nothing from Heartland or Fastec concerning this recall.
Went up on their webpage (FASTEC) and filled out the form for a new lock set. We'll see what happens.

Bill

I went thru the procedures identified in the recall and was sent a package with new locks to replace the "bad" ones. All went as it was supposed to, however I did have a little difficulty installing them, but a phone call to Fastec cured it. The customer service was great! If you have completed the requirements and have not rec'd new locks yet I would make a followup call Fastec.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Bill

Same here. My OEM lock was replaced in early 2010 due to a break-in, but the replacement has a key code on the list. Not really sure if the key can be removed from the 9:00 position (and there's too much snow in the storage yard to check), since when we lock the door we're both outside and nobody is inside risking getting trapped.

wdk450

I have not received a recall letter from Heartland as Fastec published should happen. I copied and pasted the posting below into a quiery to Heartland Service today:
"[h=2]Re: Deadbolt lock recall[/h]

//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Silverado23 //heartlandowners.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
Here is a link to an article regarding this recall.
http://rvnewsservice.com/2013/08/08/...ocks-recalled/

Here's the key (ha ha) sentences from that article: " The vehicle manufacturers will notify their consumers. The recall is expected to begin September 10, 2013. "

"

B

BouseBill

I guess tomorrow I'll call Fastec on the phone, because we have yet to receive a new lock set after filling out the form on their web page.

JohnDar

I guess tomorrow I'll call Fastec on the phone, because we have yet to receive a new lock set after filling out the form on their web page.

Please post your success/failure in contacting them. It's been two weeks since I emailed them and haven't heard a thing.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I wound up calling them last fall. They asked if I could change it myself and would I be willing to return the tool required if they sent a SASE with the new cylinder. Parts came about a week after that.

jimtoo

I wound up calling them last fall. They asked if I could change it myself and would I be willing to return the tool required if they sent a SASE with the new cylinder. Parts came about a week after that.

Same here, filled out form, got nothing. Made the call and got great service.

Jim M

JohnDar

Same here, filled out form, got nothing. Made the call and got great service.

Jim M

Looks like I'll be giving them a call, then. But until the temps rise and the snow melts, I won't be doing anything at the storage yard.

GlenStMary

I used the link you posted online 2 weeks ago and received the new cylinders, SASE, and tool this past Friday. Took about two minutes to change out the parts and the old ones are already on their way back.

B

BouseBill

Spoke with the lady at Fastec this morning. She says the new lock set was mailed last Monday, Did not check the mail on Saturday so maybe it's sitting in the P.O. Box waiting for ME! :)

Update. Lock set was in the mail box, changed out old for new and back in the mail.

All without one word from Heartland about a recall...strange

Last edited:

JohnDar

Lo and behold, my replacement cylinder kit showed up in the mail today. Never said patience was one of my few (if any) virtues.

wdk450

I filed my online claim several months ago, heard nothing, so I re-filed online again a couple of months ago, still nothing. I called Fastec this morning, and the lady said that they were overwhelmed by this recall of millions of locks. She said they had months of paperwork to just ENTER into their database (I guess it isn't automatically uploaded from the online claim submissions). My name wasn't yet on their computer database. I was told to wait a few more months.

caissiel

I just bought a new lock and kept the old for future spare parts. The new lock works great and the 2 locks are keyed alike. Figure now they are. 3 years different.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk