Dexter Self-adjusting Brakes

57chevyconvt

I recently installed Dexter self-adjusting brakes on my Lippert #6000 axles. I now have about 3,000 miles on the conversion, but experiencing two of the brakes running hot. Had to loosen two of the adjusters on the road this morning because of overheating. Met a fellow RV'er last evening in a Florida RV park, he had similiar experience with self adjusting brakes. He indicated that the cable that activates the adjusting arm stretches and causing the brakes to over adjust. Has anyone experienced over adjustment of self-adjusting brakes?

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I have the Dexter Self adjust on 6000lb axels and they were factory installed and I actually have the opposite, I feel they did not adjust as they wore and need to be manually adjusted for maximum stopping potential. No sure if we need to physically inspect them from time to time and make adjustments as seen needed. My unit is in storage at dealership now and a brake inspection is on the list of spring tune up items I gave them so I will have to wait to March to get my answer.

danemayer

My Dexters also failed to self-adjust over the 1st 6000 miles and braking was reduced. The brake assemblies and drums were replaced in the course of fixing the weak braking. The new ones seem to be working better as we've put on more than another 6000 miles since.

No problem with over-adjusting.

I think there'd have to be quite a lot of excess tension on the auto adjusting linkage to cause over-tightening.