Diesel exhaust fluid

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Lynn:
I don't have emission testing where I live in AZ but told that once you place the tuner back into the stock mode and remove the tuner from the OBD, it is stealth and nothing has been changed from the factory mode. So with that I would think emission testing would not be an issue! From the testing in Germany, the tuner actually exceeded the emission testing results vs the factory setting...again, not sure how all that really works.

Lynn1130

I live in Arizona also and we have emission testing in Maricopa and Pima Counties. So additions to the vehicle that change programming like tuning become an issue.

I cannot speak for other vehicles but EFI Live programmers told me that any change in the ECM leaves a footprint, even when put back to stock. This I understand is true for all GM Diesel engines except the LB7 which was prior to many of the computer upgrades.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
You are correct in most cases, however this device has two parts, one plugs into the original wire behind the obd and then the OBD plugs into it, then the tuner plugs into the obd. As I am told this set up bipasses the emc footprints and when put back into the stock mode and the device removed....no trace. I asked my Ram dealer about it and they agreed it would not leave a footprint. Since I don't have first hand experience with it, I am going on what Smarty is emailing me.
I am just relaying other options to deleting a $70,000 truck.

alexb2000

One would assume you have some faith in the factory engineering if you are willing to spend $60K+ on their product.

Take GM when they went from the LLY to the LBZ (50 more HP and 45 ft/lb.).

They changed the block and machining, compression ratio, connecting rods, radiator/shroud, intake and air cleaner, cylinder heads, injection pressure, changed the turbo, tuning, etc. all to gain that little bit of performance.

Or maybe they're just to stupid to realize that every brand of truck out there has an extra 200HP available with no downside for just a simple software change?

CoveredWagon

One would assume you have some faith in the factory engineering if you are willing to spend $60K+ on their product.

Take GM when they went from the LLY to the LBZ (50 more HP and 45 ft/lb.).

They changed the block and machining, compression ratio, connecting rods, radiator/shroud, intake and air cleaner, cylinder heads, injection pressure, changed the turbo, tuning, etc. all to gain that little bit of performance.

Or maybe they're just to stupid to realize that every brand of truck out there has an extra 200HP available with no downside for just a simple software change?

Make that 48 hp and a whopping 145 lb/ft of torque.

Lynn1130

Sometimes, however, transmissions and other parts are not designed to take that much of an increase. Most Duramax tuning programmers tell you not to try position 5 on tunes without doing some serious modifications to the transmission. The Allison is bullet proof at OEM horse power and torque but you can break it with too much.

Power247

There is more to leaving a footprint than what the tuning device may, or may not, leave behind. The computers in the newer trucks log everything. If you have an abnormal power train failure they can pull those logs and if engine parameters exceed factory thresholds then they can deny the warranty claim. Much better to be honest and up front then to be caught lying.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310