Diesel exhaust smell in 2014 Dodge 2500

Bones

Has any one else received a wiff of diesel exhaust in the cab when they come to a stop or a sudden stop on the interstate. It does not seem to last long and the truck does not show any regen on the dash when I smell it. I have almost 6k on the odometer and have smelled this about 4 times so far. Thoughts? I know it has to be coming from the engine bay somewhere.

EPaulikonis

I have a 2014 3500 with 10K and have noticed the same burnt smell on occasion. Don't know if it's just something with break in period or what. I do notice that it's more pungent when I have the cabin heater and fan running. I haven't seen that the odor was caused by re-gen either.

You can check out Ram Forumz for some suggested fix actions. One contributor mentioned his service techs updated the PCM and DCU and performed a QUICKLEARN and he hasn't had the smell since.

camr

Could it be remotely possible that you are smelling the diesel smell from another truck, pre DEF, in the near vicinity. The new trucks just do not have the typical diesel smell of the older pre DEF trucks. I have noticed the occasional diesel smell, but after looking around at the intersection, I saw an older truck that was likely the source. Is the smell that you are occaisionally experiencing the typical diesel smell, or is it the "sweeter" smell of the current DEF "afterburner" trucks?

Bones

Looks like I'll just poke around the emissions equipment and see if there is a leak.

Bones

Could it be remotely possible that you are smelling the diesel smell from another truck, pre DEF, in the near vicinity. The new trucks just do not have the typical diesel smell of the older pre DEF trucks. I have noticed the occasional diesel smell, but after looking around at the intersection, I saw an older truck that was likely the source. Is the smell that you are occaisionally experiencing the typical diesel smell, or is it the "sweeter" smell of the current DEF "afterburner" trucks?
The smell is the typical diesel smell pre all of the emissions equipment. I assumed it could be another vehicle but when it happened when I parked in the driveway and I'm the only diesel around it had to be me. I must say that the smell of the DEF system is different. Took a little getting use to.

Jim.Allison

2013 RAM 6.7HD I have experienced it, but I do not think it is regen. it seems to occur in the winter when the heater is running. Im not saying it is the heating system, perhaps its from the outside, but it is a putrid, somewhat sour smell and should not be in the cab. Of late I have received 2 recalls. One for the electrical connection diesel fuel heater, and one for a signal feed cross wiring that is directly related to the regen process. Perhaps it is caused by one of these. The first time I smelled it I did some internet research and found nothing at that time.

Bones

2013 RAM 6.7HD I have experienced it, but I do not think it is regen. it seems to occur in the winter when the heater is running. Im not saying it is the heating system, perhaps its from the outside, but it is a putrid, somewhat sour smell and should not be in the cab. Of late I have received 2 recalls. One for the electrical connection diesel fuel heater, and one for a signal feed cross wiring that is directly related to the regen process. Perhaps it is caused by one of these. The first time I smelled it I did some internet research and found nothing at that time.

The smell did seem to occur during the cooler months and has continued. I did not own the truck until later in the summer season. I do not think it is related to any regen cycle. I have not seen the regen cycle come on yet. This part of the system has gotten a little better than previous trucks when they would seem to regen all the time. I did see the recall notice but I was told not on my truck. The smell is like the old trucks use to smell so I know it is happening before treatment and only occasionally. I did look on the internet and I see a lot of postings about it being the EGR function and that would explain it a bit because the EGR only runs during particular conditions. They point to a gasket leak or lack thereof.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bones, people have mentioned that it seems to be more when the heater/A/C fan is on. Anything (smell) will be sucked into the cab when the fan is running. When you stop...maybe there is a little bit of wind blowing and blows some exhaust towards the front of the vehicle and is sucked into the cab. Remember, when the fan is running, it creates a suction at the air intake for the heater/A/C which is outside the cab. Just a thought.

Bones

Bones, people have mentioned that it seems to be more when the heater/A/C fan is on. Anything (smell) will be sucked into the cab when the fan is running. When you stop...maybe there is a little bit of wind blowing and blows some exhaust towards the front of the vehicle and is sucked into the cab. Remember, when the fan is running, it creates a suction at the air intake for the heater/A/C which is outside the cab. Just a thought.

Quite possible this is happening but it would still mean a leak in the system prior to treatment due to the normal diesel exhaust smell

Bob&Patty

Maybe, cause my GMC does not seem to have any smell...but I have not stuck my face in the pipe as of yet. Is it possible that its just the new burning off of things or maybe an oil leak dripping on the exhaust?? You might just need your dealer to put it on a hoist and look around underneith.

Bones

Maybe, cause my GMC does not seem to have any smell...but I have not stuck my face in the pipe as of yet. Is it possible that its just the new burning off of things or maybe an oil leak dripping on the exhaust?? You might just need your dealer to put it on a hoist and look around underneith.
I'll poke around a bit then send it to the dealer. We are suppose to have a little warmer weather tomorrow.

Lynn1130

If your vents are drawing in outside air you will get all of the odors from the outside including your exhaust.

porthole

Retired
Every vehicle has some sort of vent to allow the air in the cabin to escape when you close the doors. Some pickups have them in the rear wall behind the seats The seals were bad on my GMC and would allow fumes to enter that vent.

Bob&Patty

The last 3 posts are correct. All vehicles for the last 25 years or longer have "sealed cabins". This means there has to be some air drawn into the inside. If not, on any long drives...windows closed...heater and A/C off...you would probably go "nite nite' while driving.The vents Duane is refering to only let air out when you close a door...they do not let air in. To your issue...the only time with "auto air" that your system is NOT drawing air from outside in is in "recuirculate mode". Even at that, most vehicles let in about 5% outside air. Pay attention to when it does it....maybe only in "regen" mode???

porthole

Retired
The vents Duane is refering to only let air out when you close a door...they do not let air in.

Bob, that was my point.
But, I have seen more then one truck where the vents were not one way, including my own GMC, due to either a defect or in some cases just a poor seal with the rubber flap. Not much different then a defective joker valve.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We added a tail pipe extender onto the exhaust pipe which helped take the exhaust farther away from the truck. Maybe it's my imagination but now I don't seem to get as much or as often the diesel smell.

Engine5

Not sure what years are on the recall other than the 2013 but they are having a fuel leak problem at the engine with a oring and don't have a fix for as of yet knock on wood I have not had a problem yet