direct tv set up help

Aristakat

Looks like this is your dish. If so you are correct. You can run up to 4 cables, one to master, one to LR (and 2 to my RV if I am beside you. LOL) because it has a built in 5x4 (5 in - 4 out) switch. Good luck. Once you do it a couple of times it's like riding a bicycle, 'cept you won't fall off unless you are on the roof.

so Moose, I am going to have to have coxial cable for each port so another 100 ft of cable for second room correct ? Thanks all for imput as I said I am completely new to 5th wheelen, we plan on spending one night at campground dealer has to make sure we understand all then I bring home and load up for a weekend of camping with our neighbors/friends who have had 5th wheeler for sometime(one of the main reason we got one)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I did buy the power pack, which is just a 9 volt battery gizmo. But I kept forgetting to turn it off and the battery went dead. So I don't use that any more. If you plug your reciever into the satellite finder and finder to dish you will get the required voltage to opperate the finder.

Peace
Dave

Aristakat

thats good info thanks I was wondering how to power finder

I did buy the power pack, which is just a 9 volt battery gizmo. But I kept forgetting to turn it off and the battery went dead. So I don't use that any more. If you plug your reciever into the satellite finder and finder to dish you will get the required voltage to opperate the finder.

Peace
Dave

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
I really like my set up. After setting the rig up I walk in turn on the TV then hit the switch on the wall and hear a humm for a few seconds and whoops there it is. I have an automatic one on top of the rig look in the picture the round thingy . The only hold back is if there are a lot of trees around me I have to hook up the CG cable.

Aristakat

wife has spoken she says just go with the $30 tri pod/directtv dish first before we spend 800.00 on vu-cube for a rv we will only use a few weeks out of the year

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Jamie - go back to post 6 cuz I have finally gotten the pics uploaded of the dish on top of the rig. We use it up on top of the rige alot because it helps not having the campground kids knock over the dish which has happen a couple of time.

Cimriver

Lot's of good advice here on what to use and how to do it. Practice is key. You are going to struggle a bit at first, but it will get easier each time you set up. You might want to consider a surveyor's tripod (transit tripod) at some point. I found a used one and adapted it to hold the satellite antenna. It makes it easy to level especially on uneven ground. I also use an align-a-site (Camping World ($160.00) amongst others have them). Dial in your azimuth, elevation, and skew, adjust your tripod to center the two level, and go in and watch TV. It is really that simple. A little pricey, but IMHO well worth it.

Moose

Lot's of good advice here on what to use and how to do it. Practice is key. You are going to struggle a bit at first, but it will get easier each time you set up. You might want to consider a surveyor's tripod (transit tripod) at some point. I found a used one and adapted it to hold the satellite antenna. It makes it easy to level especially on uneven ground. I also use an align-a-site (Camping World ($160.00) amongst others have them). Dial in your azimuth, elevation, and skew, adjust your tripod to center the two level, and go in and watch TV. It is really that simple. A little pricey, but IMHO well worth it.

Sounds interesting. Are you using the metal or wooden tripod? Do you use a "bubble" level to level tripod?

Could you post some pictures on how you adapted the dish to the tripod?

You can find these along the side of the road usually holding the surveyor's base station GPS antenna. The surveyor's are usually some distance away. LOL (I am just kidding) But if you want some fun you can move the GPS tripod a couple of yards and watch the surveyor scratch his head. (Again, I am kidding)

Aristakat

we'll I hope all goes well, I ordered align a site , finder, and a cover for for rv tonight off campers world thanks for help pick up tripod wed so now will have 230.00 for tv

Moose

Here is a great site for getting the setup data for your dish.

Select location by either streetname, zip code, (lat, lon) or zoom in on the map and drag the icon to your exact spot.

Then select "Multi-LNB setups" and in the drop down menu select your provider and/or sats. And voila your will have the proper elevation, azimuth (true and magnetic) and dish skew for your location. That will point you in the right direction then just "tweak" to fine tune with sat finder and/or "whining" receiver signal thru TV speakers.

http://www.dishpointer.com/

kerryb

I use mine and my wife's cell phones to be able to hear the audible signal from the TV when setting up. Put both on speaker and dial the other's number. There is a split second delay with the cell signal and the possibiliy of no cell service. The best device I've used is a voice activated walkie-talkie headphone set with a boom mike. I hang it one on the TV and take one out with me. I use a compass to find the general direction for the satellite. The dish and tripod were $50 on Ebay.

mstrbll

1st -- I'm sorry to read that our company reps/administrators "share"
2nd -- I used to "communicate" with my wife for signal strength with my old Direct TV system then I changed to a HD slimline sat. -- FUN !!
MY suggestion is to go and get yourself a Winegard HD slimline unit placed on your roof -- pull into your RV site, plug in your electric ,and go to you satellite "power" box and push power --DONE !!!! (not a dome) ( its automatic)