Direct TV - Wireless Reciever "Genie"

Georgia_Biker

Direct TV has just come out with a Wireless Reciever System named "GENIE". You can have service on multiple TV's without having to deal with cables. The Genie also has DVR capability.

To me this would be a "Godsend" for us RVr's trying to run cables to the basement, other rooms, etc.

I contacted Direct TV and asked was this available for an RV using a Winegard Satillite and was told yes.

I haven't ordered one I yet because I want to get more information but, have any "Forum Folks" heard of or have this?

Last edited by a moderator:

rdufek

I have had the "Genie" for 2 years now using it in my home. The wireless capabilities works wonderfully to 4 other TV's in my home. On that note though, you can run a max of 3 TV's on the system at one time. I'm not sure how many TV's you could run at one time on your Winegard. The DVR is shared among all the TV's and works very well. A receiver box is needed on all TV's which of course is an additional cost.

Bob and Valerie Dufek

And our beloved Saint Penelope
2015 BH 3750FL
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
HOC # 2858

padre44

This has been out for some time. I had it at home and it was fine, but Direct TV got too expensive. I switched to Dish which has the same type of system (Hopper). I think their system is superior. I bought a receiver for my RV($50) and a portable automatic dish ($400) and pay only $7 a month for service. If you want it throughout your coach, you might need the Genie or Hopper. I would imagine that would be much more expensive than just the one. You cannot get your local (major network) channels unless you call and have your zip code changed when you change locations (works for Dish, I don't know about Direct).

farside291

We use the big Genie (Server) in the living area and a stand alone receiver in the bedroom. The stand alone receiver has no DVR capability only the big Genie in the living room. If you want DVR in the bedroom or even on the outside TV bring the wireless video bridge that connects to the big Genie and a couple of the small mini Genies (clients) for the other areas. You can buy wireless video bridge for the clients off Amazon for about $69.00. That way you can leave it in the RV and only bring the big Genie and clients with you. I thought about buying a couple of clients to keep in the RV but you would have to detect them each time you moved the genie from the house to the RV. I am not sure if DTV would allow more clients than you currently pay for. Using the ones from the house makes the hookup in the RV plug and play. Also, I purchased a couple of spare power supplies ($7.99) and leave them in the RV also. Saves crawling behind the TV to disconnect them.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have the equivalent Dish "Hopper" and wireless "Joey". Works very well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Direct TV has just come out with a Wireless Receiver System named "GENIE"
I contacted Direct TV and asked was this available for an RV using a Winegard Satellite and was told yes.

I haven't ordered one I yet because I want to get more information but, have any "Forum Folks" heard of or have this?

DTV Genie, wired or wireless.
The older wired Genies have a main box (DVR and tuners) and separate "clients" for each TV.
The older DVR which is still in play has a built in power supply and is about the size of a VCR

I have the wired version with 4 TVs. 4 TVs is the max IIRC, as the receiver itself counts for one of the 5 built in tuners.
I leave one of the clients in the trailer most of the time using an extra power supply and remote.

The newest receiver doesn't add much other then you are supposed to be able to add up to 8 TV's, with wired or wireless clients. This receive is also smaller and uses an external power brick for power.

DTV needs the elongated dish for the antenna to get HD. The roof top Winegard auto antennas have different electronics between the DTV and Dish versions. The Dish version can be upgrade to the DTV version.

The newest DVR's they don't talk about are capable of 4K video. You have to ask for it and tell them you have a 4K TV

Georgia_Biker

DTV Genie, wired or wireless.
The older wired Genies have a main box (DVR and tuners) and separate "clients" for each TV.
The older DVR which is still in play has a built in power supply and is about the size of a VCR

I have the wired version with 4 TVs. 4 TVs is the max IIRC, as the receiver itself counts for one of the 5 built in tuners.
I leave one of the clients in the trailer most of the time using an extra power supply and remote.

The newest receiver doesn't add much other then you are supposed to be able to add up to 8 TV's, with wired or wireless clients. This receive is also smaller and uses an external power brick for power.

DTV needs the elongated dish for the antenna to get HD. The roof top Winegard auto antennas have different electronics between the DTV and Dish versions. The Dish version can be upgrade to the DTV version.

The newest DVR's they don't talk about are capable of 4K video. You have to ask for it and tell them you have a 4K TV

WOW!!! Thanks flor all of the information from everybody. I guess since Direct TV merged with A T &T they had to re-introduce it. I had DISH for a couple of years and was not satisified at all with it. I have been very happy with DTV. All of that aside I was just worried about running wires to the basement. We only have three TVs and the bedroom unit is almost never watched. Wireless will make life easier.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I've had Direct TV for several years now. At home, I have the main box in the living room and satelite boxes in the bedroom and the sunroom. When we travel, I have the main box in the livining room and satelite boxes in the bedroom and the outside entertainment compartment. I just move the boxes from the house to the camper.

Direct TV is EXTREMELY expensive and I pay not only for the service but a monthly charge for each of the three boxes. But, it works both in the house and in the camper. When we were on our 3 month extended trip this past summer, I would use the over-the-air antenna for local channels when we were staying for a night or two, otherwise, I would call Direct TV give them the zip code and address of where we were staying and I would have the local channels on the "cable" boxes. I also do this when we winter in Florida. Works well.

It's not for everyone especially when you look at the excessive price they charge for all the TV channels you'll never use, but it works for us. Just don't believe all their hype about 230+ channels, etc. It's a scam. More than half the channels are selling products and I'd guess another 25 to 30 percent are the same channels, just one in HD and one not. When you get to our age, with the weakning eye sight and diminished hearing, I can't tell the difference between HD and regular, so having a choice between two exact same programs is not really an choice, at least not for me.

porthole

Retired
Most of what Keith says as well for us. Cost now that we have had it past the promotional period is about the same as it would be either cable or dish without promotions.

In the time we have been using DTV though I have never called to give a location.
For us 'local' is just fine if we still have our local channels from home, which is the main NYC networks.

DTV has a cone of coverage for local channels and even when we have been outside that cone we still received the channels.
From central New Jersey we have been as far south as Myrtle Beach, Goshen west and the furthest distance line of site was Arkansas at 1000 miles.

With DTV you have the ability to add an over the air tuner to the receiver.
Plug your antenna into the OTA receiver, USB plug that into the DTV receiver and run a scan. Whatever you pick up over the air will be added to the the DTV channel guide.

You will see for example, 2 - 4 - 5 - 7 - 7.1 - 7.2 - 7.3 - 9 etc

If it was just me though, I would be fine with OTA and a DVD player.

As it is, I probably watch no more then 5-6 channels. And if you ask me, we should get a discount to have shopping and infomercial channels.
I really dislike being forced to pay for channels that are shopping, foreign language or what really gets me is a forced sports network access fee and I never watch any of the sports channels.

porthole

Retired
This really gets my goat:

[h=2]What is a Regional Sports Fee?[/h]Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) are cable television networks that provide coverage of local or regional sports teams, both professional and college. This includes national channels, which bring you games and coverage from some of the most highly followed college athletic conferences. In certain areas of the country (determined by ZIP code), DIRECTV also carries multiple RSNs. The Regional Sports Fee is a fee that is related to higher costs incurred for carrying those networks. Click here to check your Regional Sports Fee.

Currently $7.29 a month.

danemayer

This really gets my goat:

What is a Regional Sports Fee?

Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) are cable television networks that provide coverage of local or regional sports teams, both professional and college. This includes national channels, which bring you games and coverage from some of the most highly followed college athletic conferences. In certain areas of the country (determined by ZIP code), DIRECTV also carries multiple RSNs. The Regional Sports Fee is a fee that is related to higher costs incurred for carrying those networks. Click here to check your Regional Sports Fee.

Currently $7.29 a month.

I'm confident we'll all see more and more fees like this for sports channels, and other programming, regardless of which company delivers the programming. It'll show up on cable as well as satellite.

The content owners are all looking at charging fees for all subscribers who might view their channel - not just those who do. One of the early ones was the Longhorn Network. That was spearheaded by the University of Texas when the Longhorns were in the top ten for football. Had the team continued winning, the move to switch more and more games to the fee channel would have been more noticeable. They're not the only ones doing this. I noticed some of the recent playoff games were carried on fee channels this past season.

I see CBS experimenting with the same approach. They've started putting some of their exclusive programming on CBS All Access, the fee version of your local CBS station. You can't watch the Good Wife spinoff unless you pay extra.

porthole

Retired
And because of all these little BS fees that keep adding up we have a market that drives things like amazon's fire stick with simple youtube hack that get you a ton of stuff to watch, as long as you have a net connection.