DirecTV Trav'ler Satellite Installations

Az_Ernie

Hello all,
I purchased a new Winegard DirecTV Trav'ler Satellite system for our new 2015 Bighorn 3160EL. Upon reading the installation instructions, I found that installing the dish on the factory pre-installed satellite backer plate is not possible because the clearances called for by Winegard's installation instructions. On my Bighorn, the backer plate is pre-installed between the front vent and front A/C unit. Also the OTA antenna, when stowed lays directly over the backer plate. Does anyone own a 2015 Bighorn 3160EL and have a Winegard DirecTV Trav'ler Satellite installed and if so where is it mounted? Heartland technical support informed me that they do not approve of installations anywhere on the roof other than on the backer plate (where it will not meet Wingard's clearance requirements).

SeattleLion

I have the 2014 3160 EL and we have the Wingard Trav'ler installed. I've attached a picture. It is just behind the front AC. Camping World did the install. They had no trouble mounting it. We've dragged the trailer over 2,500 miles and the mount is solid. I hope this helps.

sat-antenna.jpg

Az_Ernie

I have the 2014 3160 EL and we have the Wingard Trav'ler installed. I've attached a picture. It is just behind the front AC. Camping World did the install. They had no trouble mounting it. We've dragged the trailer over 2,500 miles and the mount is solid. I hope this helps.

View attachment 37025
Please check your private messages. Thanks.

DaveTyler

Ernie, why not just use the portable Wingard? They work fine and sometimes when under trees they work better by moving the Wingard away? Just an idea, I use a wingard antenna for Dish Network. Not much problem but have newer better models now. Good luck. Have been on top of mine putting vent covers but not sure where the backing plate is located. Good luck to you!!

SeattleLion

Ernie, why not just use the portable Wingard? They work fine and sometimes when under trees they work better by moving the Wingard away? Just an idea, I use a wingard antenna for Dish Network. Not much problem but have newer better models now. Good luck. Have been on top of mine putting vent covers but not sure where the backing plate is located. Good luck to you!!

If you have DirecTV and you want hd, the trav'ler is the only option on the market right now.

EPaulikonis

Don't know much about the Winegard, but I do have some significant background in satellite communications. Preset location on the rig will probably work without any issues 95% of the time, just be aware of possible pitfalls. I would personally go with the mobile setup mentioned by others, if for no other reason than proximity to the AC unit is too close for my comfort. Mobile also gives you the option to position antenna in best spot, within resonable distance, regardless of where you have to park the rig.

First assumption is the manufacturer is concerned about a hard-stop because the antenna is too close to an object. Any obstructions near the antenna may cause a hard-stop and you'll burn up a motor or strip the gears that allow the antenna to track and move to the satellite. If I'm checking the right manual, Winegard says no obstructions >8" within 32.5" of antenna base.

Second reason is the affect of backscatter and/or physical blockage of the signal. In the photo Bob provided, the AC unit could be problematic if the antenna is pointing over the AC unit toward the satellite at a low angle to the horizon. Only way this would become an issue is if he was visiting a northern state (worst cases are north eastern states) and had the nose of his Big Horn pointing toward the satellite to the south/southwest. Also the case where first assumption comes into play since the dish reflector would be tracking lower to the horizon and moving toward the AC to get a signal lock. Much higher probability the antenna's reflector will contact the AC unit.

The other reason for clearance on an antenna is a phenomenon called near-field coupling. If you're within a distance of a quarter wavelength of the antenna, the metal objects become (in effect) part of the antenna from a gain perspective. Unlikely this will be an issue on your RV, but it is part of the reason antenna manufacturers state clearance distances.

DocFather

I have the Winegard Travl'r DirecTV and roof obstructions are not a concern. Proper installation will take care of that. I am quite pleased with my Genie and 3 Mini Boxes and the multi-station DVR. For me, it is a matter of convenience and one-button power-up and satellite-location. However, if you like to park your rig under the trees for the shade effect, do not go with a roof-mount system. As already mentioned, if you want DirecTV HD, the portable dish will not work for you.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I would like input on my plan for equipping a new trailer. I currently use a Winegard Carryout portable antenna and have been very pleased with it. Even though the Carryout will support two TV's, I only supply a signal to the living room television as we seldom/never watch TV in the bedroom.

I am considering a new Landmark that will have an outside entertainment system in addition to the two inside TV's. In the new rig, I am planning to use a Traveler antenna mounted on the roof because it will support up to five TV's. Again, I will likely only use the living room and outside entertainment, but if I wish I could use the bedroom. I will use the dual tuner receiver to operate the wireless remote to control the two TV's.

In case of trees or other interference I can use the Carryout and not use the rooftop unit, likely using only one television.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jay we love our trav'ler and have not had any issues with it or trees. We have gotten a signal every time we go to s Toledo bend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeattleLion

Jay,

You can use your portable by unscrewing the jumper cable in the utility compartment and attach the portable to the appropriate room's sat cable. Then you will need to attach the livingroom cable to the other receiver. We have found that about 3/4 of the time we are able to find the sats with the trav'ler. We almost always go to state parks that frequently have trees in the way. This season we tried to pick sites that have a good view of the sky so our odds will improve.

SeattleLion

In the photo Bob provided, the AC unit could be problematic if the antenna is pointing over the AC unit toward the satellite at a low angle to the horizon. Only way this would become an issue is if he was visiting a northern state (worst cases are north eastern states) and had the nose of his Big Horn pointing toward the satellite to the south/southwest. Also the case where first assumption comes into play since the dish reflector would be tracking lower to the horizon and moving toward the AC to get a signal lock. Much higher probability the antenna's reflector will contact the AC unit.

The other reason for clearance on an antenna is a phenomenon called near-field coupling. If you're within a distance of a quarter wavelength of the antenna, the metal objects become (in effect) part of the antenna from a gain perspective. Unlikely this will be an issue on your RV, but it is part of the reason antenna manufacturers state clearance distances.

We have had no problems at all with reception. We live above 47 deg north and frequently camp near the 49th parallel. Even at that latitude, the dish points up far enough that there is no issue with the AC. Of course, it would be exceptionally rare that the nose would point in just the wrong direction. Also, our AC is the low profile model and is under 12" high. Our install is pretty typical of BH's. As I recall, the arm on the dish gets it clear of the AC.

EPaulikonis

Understood. Hard to give a factual based answer just looking at a picture; couldn't tell the AC was low-profile or <"8H the manual called for. Glad the install is working out for you and there haven't been any issues w/antenna contacting the AC. Happy Camping.

We have had no problems at all with reception. We live above 47 deg north and frequently camp near the 49th parallel. Even at that latitude, the dish points up far enough that there is no issue with the AC. Of course, it would be exceptionally rare that the nose would point in just the wrong direction. Also, our AC is the low profile model and is under 12" high. Our install is pretty typical of BH's. As I recall, the arm on the dish gets it clear of the AC.

jbeletti

Eric - you're terms are reminding me of my early years in the RF world with earth stations, OTA antennas on towers and headends.

Not related to the satellite issue in this thread, but I'm reminded of a seminar I went to many, many years ago, put on by then Jerrold Communications (later to become General Instrument, later to be sold to Motorola). At that seminar, I learned about "Knife Edge Diffraction" and how that phenomenon was used in the early days of cable TV when it was truly CATV (community antenna television). But I digress...

For all reading this - I have ping-ponged with Heartland Engineering on the satellite backer location versus it's best use case. The dialog remains open and I'm hopeful that at some point in the near future, our satellite prep and backer location can be improved. Thanks all for the lively discussion and please continue to post issues and solutions related to this matter.

Az_Ernie

Don't know much about the Winegard, but I do have some significant background in satellite communications. Preset location on the rig will probably work without any issues 95% of the time, just be aware of possible pitfalls. I would personally go with the mobile setup mentioned by others, if for no other reason than proximity to the AC unit is too close for my comfort. Mobile also gives you the option to position antenna in best spot, within resonable distance, regardless of where you have to park the rig.

First assumption is the manufacturer is concerned about a hard-stop because the antenna is too close to an object. Any obstructions near the antenna may cause a hard-stop and you'll burn up a motor or strip the gears that allow the antenna to track and move to the satellite. If I'm checking the right manual, Winegard says no obstructions >8" within 32.5" of antenna base.

Second reason is the affect of backscatter and/or physical blockage of the signal. In the photo Bob provided, the AC unit could be problematic if the antenna is pointing over the AC unit toward the satellite at a low angle to the horizon. Only way this would become an issue is if he was visiting a northern state (worst cases are north eastern states) and had the nose of his Big Horn pointing toward the satellite to the south/southwest. Also the case where first assumption comes into play since the dish reflector would be tracking lower to the horizon and moving toward the AC to get a signal lock. Much higher probability the antenna's reflector will contact the AC unit.

Thanks Eric,
Great satellite information. I'm sure you're right about Winegard's clearance requirements. Our Bighorn has about ten acres of roof top (slight exaggeration) and Heartland decided to put a skylight, vent, UHF antenna and an A/C unit, all within a ten foot square area. Oh, forgot they also put a satellite backer plate in the middle of all of this! This whole install project that should have been a piece of cake has turned into real cluster. I'm just going to find an area where it will fit and install it. I've ordered Winegard's optional "thin roof backer plate (SKA-008)" and I'm going to mount it as far back as the pre-installed cables will reach. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

Az_Ernie

I would like input on my plan for equipping a new trailer. I currently use a Winegard Carryout portable antenna and have been very pleased with it. Even though the Carryout will support two TV's, I only supply a signal to the living room television as we seldom/never watch TV in the bedroom.

I am considering a new Landmark that will have an outside entertainment system in addition to the two inside TV's. In the new rig, I am planning to use a Traveler antenna mounted on the roof because it will support up to five TV's. Again, I will likely only use the living room and outside entertainment, but if I wish I could use the bedroom. I will use the dual tuner receiver to operate the wireless remote to control the two TV's.

In case of trees or other interference I can use the Carryout and not use the rooftop unit, likely using only one television.

Sounds like a great plan!

danemayer

Hi Jay,

On our Directv receiver, the menu requires me to set the type of dish being used. I have a Slimline-3. I'd think if I made some other selection, it might not work. So when you use the Carryout, I'd guess you'll have to change a menu item on the receiver.

osims

bsims
On the Dish Network receiver you can change from Traveler to carryout by performing the check switch function.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Thanks for the information. Now to choose what rig to buy or just keep what we have.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for the information. Now to choose what rig to buy or just keep what we have.

Was gonna ask if we should look for a new rig when we meet up in a couple weeks. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk