Satellite placement on the roof

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
All,

Considering placement for the Winegard Travler Dish on the roof. I received plans from Heartland that specify the backer is a 36" square, located between the front AC and the bathroom vent. However, Travler specifies a diameter of 85" of clearance, at least 8" above the roof, for the antenna to swivel/aim properly. Between the AC and the bath vent, I have 48". How can it go there? Can I locate it elsewhere on the roof? We have also purchased Winegard's mounting plate, SKA-008, but I am sure I can't use it in the place Heartland has backer.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Erika I used the mounting plate and moved mine about 2' or 3' forward of the factory backing plate.
I'm glad i did because I think it would of hit the bathroom vent cover.
I'm told if you use the mounting plate you can put it anywhere.
I think I have 3 or 4 screws into there backing plate. All seems good to me.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

plshilo

Erika,
Let us know when you get it all done we want to do the same when we get to Goshen in June. So looking at all the ideas everyone has.......

TravelTiger

Erika I used the mounting plate and moved mine about 2' or 3' forward of the factory backing plate.
I'm glad i did because I think it would of hit the bathroom vent cover.
I'm told if you use the mounting plate you can put it anywhere.
I think I have 3 or 4 screws into there backing plate. All seems good to me.

Jerrod

Good to hear Jerrod, we are considering between the kitchen vent and rear AC, lots of room there. We would have to get an extension for the control cable, if we still want to run it to the front where the in-roof wiring is located. There's about 7ft of wiring coiled in the roof. We'd need about 6-7 more feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I would try my best to get it as close to the supplied wires as possible.
As for myself I wouldn't want any splices up there or any more wire running across my roof then absolutely necessary.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Erika,

On my previous 5th wheel, that did not have a Heartland backer plate, I installed the Traveler between the front A/C And the kitchen vent with the Wingard SKA-008 plate. I applied Dycor self leveling caulk under the plate near the edge, screwed it down and placed and screwed the Wingard Traveler to the plate. Then I caulked around the perimeter of the plate and the Traveler, and on the screws.

When I transfered the Wingard to my current 5th wheel I had to cut the caulking to remove the Traveler, because the caulking was acting an adhesive. On my current 5th wheel I installed the Traveler in front of the front A/C without the
Wingard SKA-008 plate, because of the lack of space between the front A/C and the kitchen vent. All the cables reach the Traveler without extensions. The traveler has not loosened and is still mounted solid in it's current position.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Erika,

On my previous 5th wheel, that did not have a Heartland backer plate, I installed the Traveler between the front A/C And the kitchen vent with the [FONT=Calibri, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Wingard SKA-008 plate. I applied [/FONT][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Dycor self leveling[/FONT] caulk under the plate near the edge, screwed it down and placed and screwed the Wingard Traveler to the plate. Then I caulked around the perimeter of the plate and the Traveler, and on the screws.

When I transfered the Wingard to my current 5th wheel I had to cut the caulking to remove the Traveler, because the caulking was acting an adhesive. On my current 5th wheel I installed the Traveler in front of the front A/C without the Wingard SKA-008 plate, because of the lack of space between the front A/C and the kitchen vent. All the cables reach the Traveler without extensions. The traveler has not loosened and is still mounted solid in it's current position.

Thanks Terry, good to hear.

sjandbj

On our Big Country I mounted the traveler on the door side just down from where the backer was suppose to be in the roof. As others have said there was not enough room to fit the antenna between the air conditioner and the bathroom vent. I chose to use the large mounting plate since there was no backing plate to attached to. Between all the little screws and the Dicor sealant I don't think it will ever come off. It has traveled aprox 6,000 miles so far and is still rock solid. I would strongly recommend the backing plate even if I could have bolted it to the backing plate. It makes for a nice flat surface and provides a few more screws to attach to the roof.

BTW... I would keep the runs as short as possible. The wires will deteriorate in the sun and heat and the connection points will always be the weak link in the run unless they can be soldered and sealed correctly.

Lowflyr

Erika,

On my previous 5th wheel, that did not have a Heartland backer plate, I installed the Traveler between the front A/C And the kitchen vent with the Wingard SKA-008 plate. I applied Dycor self leveling caulk under the plate near the edge, screwed it down and placed and screwed the Wingard Traveler to the plate. Then I caulked around the perimeter of the plate and the Traveler, and on the screws.

When I transfered the Wingard to my current 5th wheel I had to cut the caulking to remove the Traveler, because the caulking was acting an adhesive. On my current 5th wheel I installed the Traveler in front of the front A/C without the
Wingard SKA-008 plate, because of the lack of space between the front A/C and the kitchen vent. All the cables reach the Traveler without extensions. The traveler has not loosened and is still mounted solid in it's current position.

Hello.

I have a 2015 Big Country RL3150 and have ordered a Winegard Trav'ler but will have the same issue, with not enough room between the front air conditioner and bathroom vent. Could you possibly send me a couple photos of where you mounted it?

Thank You,

Lowflyr

richheck

Seasoned Member
All,

Considering placement for the Winegard Travler Dish on the roof. I received plans from Heartland that specify the backer is a 36" square, located between the front AC and the bathroom vent. However, Travler specifies a diameter of 85" of clearance, at least 8" above the roof, for the antenna to swivel/aim properly. Between the AC and the bath vent, I have 48". How can it go there? Can I locate it elsewhere on the roof? We have also purchased Winegard's mounting plate, SKA-008, but I am sure I can't use it in the place Heartland has backer.

Erika, here are the directions from my Traveler install manual "To ensure you have adequate clearance for the TRAV’LERantenna to safely operate, check that there are no obstructions taller than 8” within 32.5” of the center of the base ".

I'm not sure where you got the 85" from, thats almost your total width of your roof, only need 65" total circle (32.5 in from center of base)

Rich

Lowflyr

Erika, here are the directions from my Traveler install manual "To ensure you have adequate clearance for the TRAV’LERantenna to safely operate, check that there are no obstructions taller than 8” within 32.5” of the center of the base ".

I'm not sure where you got the 85" from, thats almost your total width of your roof, only need 70" total circle (32.5 in from center of base)

Rich

[/FONT][/SIZE]

Sorry, I apparently grabbed the quote, that I did not intend to from the original author. I did read about the 32.5" diameter and here is the actual quote from the Winegard instructions.

"The minimum roof space required for the TRAV’LER antenna is 43” L x 24” W.
a. The operational space requires that no obstructions taller than 8 inches be mounted within a 62” diameter circle from the center of the unit."

The problem is, while Heartland has the 36"x 36" of roof backing between the front AC and bathroom vent, the total distance between them is only about 48" making the placement of the dish there unacceptable due to 8" obstruction heights.

Lowflyr

richheck

Seasoned Member
Sorry, I apparently grabbed the quote, that I did not intend to from the original author. I did read about the 32.5" diameter and here is the actual quote from the Winegard instructions.

"The minimum roof space required for the TRAV’LER antenna is 43” L x 24” W.
a. The operational space requires that no obstructions taller than 8 inches be mounted within a 62” diameter circle from the center of the unit."

The problem is, while Heartland has the 36"x 36" of roof backing between the front AC and bathroom vent, the total distance between them is only about 48" making the placement of the dish there unacceptable due to 8" obstruction heights.

Lowflyr

Both Jerrod and myself used the full backing plate from Winegard, we tried to place as close as possible to the reinforced backing area supplied by Heartland but with the metal plate, the backing isn't necessary.

Hopefully you will be able to locate an area that will work, I wouldn't be comfortable splicing or extending the cable with it being exposed to the elements all the time. I secured all my cabling with Eternabond tape to give it an additional layer of protection. (Total covering for the entire length)

Lowflyr

Both Jerrod and myself used the full backing plate from Winegard, we tried to place as close as possible to the reinforced backing area supplied by Heartland but with the metal plate, the backing isn't necessary.

Hopefully you will be able to locate an area that will work, I wouldn't be comfortable splicing or extending the cable with it being exposed to the elements all the time. I secured all my cabling with Eternabond tape to give it an additional layer of protection. (Total covering for the entire length)

Hi again.

If I do have to extend it, I would use a longer cord and do the connection so it would be in the attic, not outside and the wires would be soldered, shrink wrapped. The exposed wires on the roof would be covered with the Eternabond tape. Just hate having to do it, if I can help it.

I've read where some mounted the dish more to the side of the camper roof, like the the over-the-air antenna, which could also be an option, without extending the wiring.

Thanks again,

Lowflyr

richheck

Seasoned Member
Hi again.

If I do have to extend it, I would use a longer cord and do the connection so it would be in the attic, not outside and the wires would be soldered, shrink wrapped. The exposed wires on the roof would be covered with the Eternabond tape. Just hate having to do it, if I can help it.

I've read where some mounted the dish more to the side of the camper roof, like the the over-the-air antenna, which could also be an option, without extending the wiring.

Thanks again,

Lowflyr

Should be no issues as long as its within the guidelines from the Winegard manual

1. Has a gap of less than 3/16” between the bottomof the antenna and the roof
    WARNING Do not install the antenna in a
    location where a gap of 3/16” ormore exists between the bottom of the antenna
    and the roof, as the antenna may damage the roof
  2. Is within 5 degrees of level, or the system mayrequire more time to locate satellites (for bestoperation, must be within 3 degrees of level)

TravelTiger

7e7d24bf304fed2b9c1b5c5b208a3838.jpg

Here is our placement. The backer according to Heartland is between the rear AC and bathroom vent. Not enough room for the arm to rotate unobstructed.

esscobra

had zero issues with mine- installed myself using plate as well- was one of the first with new roof -truss duct system and could not get any info from factory on where or if there was a backer and the changed moved vent locations on roof from of previous 2017 same model-I had taken pics of one on dealer lot when ordered mine and seen where backer was- been in 20-30 ph winds with sat up and no issues- checked dicor 2 weeks ago and all looks good

Attachments

• IMG_8687.jpg
    IMG_8687.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 74

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Hello.

I have a 2015 Big Country RL3150 and have ordered a Winegard Trav'ler but will have the same issue, with not enough room between the front air conditioner and bathroom vent. Could you possibly send me a couple photos of where you mounted it?

Thank You,

Lowflyr

Here are a few pictures from my install.

Attachments

• IMG_20170831_173852319_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170831_173852319_HDR.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20170831_173815203_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170831_173815203_HDR.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20170831_173835669_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170831_173835669_HDR.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 85

esscobra

heres mine on 2017 3760el with newer truss roof and a/c ducts