Dish off of house to use with camper???

Boxrkisses

We will be moving into our Trail Runner on June 1st while building our house. Can I just take our existing Dish satellite off of the house and make some kind of tripod for it and use it and my hopper receiver in the camper? I REALLY dont want to give up my hopper and I dont want to spend alot on another system. I am "guessing" that my phone has an app for finding where in the sky the satellite is for pointing the dish in the correct direction. Of course this may be much more difficult than what I am thinking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Gina

jnbhobe

Yes you can use everything from your house. I have Direct but they are all about the same. Dish may put it on a pole next to your new home for nothing and run a cable to the TT.

jimtoo

Yes James,, it will work for you in the Trail Runner. Just make sure your mount is straight up and down that you mount the dish on. Might take a good compass reading as to direction it is aimed. Then when you make your new mount, just aim as close as you can to start with. In the setup area of the receiver it will have a place to show satellite signal strength. With some help you can aim your dish by slowing moving one way or the other.
I'm sure some others will jump in soon.

Jim M

dave10a

You have to determine which satellite you are using, Eastern or western arc, and then make certain the skew and elevation are set. Then make certain the mast if level and mount the dish and point the dish in the general azimuth direction. Then listening to the dish pointer software in the receiver fine tun the azimuth for the loudest tone or most signal. This link http://www.dishpointer.com/ provides the information that is needed for the elevation, skew and azimuth. Then run check switch on the receiver to verify the set up.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
You can use a Satellite Finder (even cheaper on EBay or Amazon) to help with aiming too. It uses a needle and tone to let you refine your aim. Directv has an app that uses your zip code to provide the correct tilt and azimuth. If you wade through the Setup on the box you can find the info there too. I too would guess that Dish has a similar arrangement.