Dish TV or Direct?

mobilcastle

Anyone using a Hopper with Dish TV service in your 5ver? How well is it working. Is it harder to set up Dish TV than Direct TV. Does Dish use one wire in to the UDC from the dish? Direct seems to want to jam down your throat their premium channels so you have to fight to get them removed after 90 days. Anyone had a problem removing those extra channels if you don't want them? I am looking at both but it seems more people on the site use Direct. Dish says they are HD? Dish also seems to be cheaper? Is it a problem to get Dish to reset local channels as you travel?
Thank you
Steve

MTPockets

We have Dish, but only one TV so can't speak to hopper. Dish is very easy to change plans and premiums at any time. No contract and can do changes any time on line. We also change local address several times/yr for local channels with no problems. We use the Dish Tailgater with single cable to operate. For us, this unit is perfect.

Gizzy

We have Dish, but only one TV so can't speak to hopper. Dish is very easy to change plans and premiums at any time. No contract and can do changes any time on line. We also change local address several times/yr for local channels with no problems. We use the Dish Tailgater with single cable to operate. For us, this unit is perfect.

X2. We have the same set up and love it. The Tailgater works GREAT, plus it was the cheapest way for us to get an automatic set up system. However, we only use it with the single receiver. I'm not sure about the Hopper, but I don't believe it can be used with the tailgater set up. You could call Dish and ask some questions. We really like the fact that we can call and have the service activated/deactivated anytime we desire and NO CONTRACT!! I'm sure Dish will try to get you to upgrade, just know what type service you want and stick to it. they have always been good to deal with when needed. Yes, only one cable to mess with, power is provided thru the coax.

ParkIt

Que the dissenter...
Using FTA (Free to Air) with Google Plus (acts like the hopper) though some opt for Amazon Prime since its streaming live or store for later viewing. You don't always need to have wi-fi at the spot, get a booster which will grab anything nearby.

The problem with Dish and Direct is they sub-contract to other providers so one place you may get everything you want while others don't have it at all or are completely unreliable. Call the main sales department for both Dish or Direct and ask who they contract through, you'll get an interesting response on that one.

Edit: you only need to replace the outside antenna that can pick up a stronger signal as well as a booster inside where the TV/Command center plugs in. No dish to haul around that way.

MTPockets

Que the dissenter...

The problem with Dish and Direct is they sub-contract to other providers so one place you may get everything you want while others don't have it at all or are completely unreliable. Call the main sales department for both Dish or Direct and ask who they contract through, you'll get an interesting response on that one.

Don't know what this means. We've travelled from FL to AZ to WA to IN and everywhere in between and always have the same programming. Only difference is the local network channels, (CBS, ABC, NBC) but we always get them thru whatever local station Dish connects us with.

ParkIt

Sometimes its through Clearwire or no-name small local company that is the actual provider where ever you are at, it can be slow sometimes or you have to adjust your receptor to specific coordinates to get the channels you want.

I still use my "wing" up front, it picks up any satellite for free but the channels are different of course. You know you hit a prime satellite when the station is direct from Japan or India...with no subtitles ;)

Dang, come to think of it there is an app now to let you know which satellites are in the area and if they are prime or secondary, upgraded my phone this fall and forgot to download it but I won't use it until spring anyway.

MTPockets

Sometimes its through Clearwire or no-name small local company that is the actual provider where ever you are at, it can be slow sometimes or you have to adjust your receptor to specific coordinates to get the channels you want.

I'm still lost. Tailgater is picking up signals from satellites and our programming never changes. I call Dish, tell them my location, in about 10 minutes or less I'm seeing local network channels. All other 180 channels never change. No repositioning, no nothing. Local Channels just appear. When we were in Rifle, CO, the locals that Dish used were in Denver. Whitney, TX they hooked us up with Dallas stations. Zephyrhills, FL we get Tampa locals...

mobilcastle

The reason I want to go with the Hopper is I want to be able to record shows to watch. I will only be hooked up to one TV. We plan to full time after we sell our house in the spring. Using the tailgater and the tuner they want you to buy- does the tuner record-the one I looked at does not? Can you also tell me if their is no contract what aprox is the cost per month?I don't mind the contact if I can control what services and channels I want without a big hassle. Thank you for all you answers.
X2. We have the same set up and love it. The Tailgater works GREAT, plus it was the cheapest way for us to get an automatic set up system. However, we only use it with the single receiver. I'm not sure about the Hopper, but I don't believe it can be used with the tailgater set up. You could call Dish and ask some questions. We really like the fact that we can call and have the service activated/deactivated anytime we desire and NO CONTRACT!! I'm sure Dish will try to get you to upgrade, just know what type service you want and stick to it. they have always been good to deal with when needed. Yes, only one cable to mess with, power is provided thru the coax.

mobilcastle

I do not have cable TV or satellite service now at my home. I stream video from the net and use the OTA channels with a tuner card and have a large hard drive(1 TB) in my computer to record to. Streaming video uses a lot of net service ad nearly all companies cap the wifi amount even if they say unlimited. Going full time I want easy access to channels. Thanks for your response.
Que the dissenter...
Using FTA (Free to Air) with Google Plus (acts like the hopper) though some opt for Amazon Prime since its streaming live or store for later viewing. You don't always need to have wi-fi at the spot, get a booster which will grab anything nearby.

Edit: you only need to replace the outside antenna that can pick up a stronger signal as well as a booster inside where the TV/Command center plugs in. No dish to haul around that way.

mobilcastle

Anyone know whether Dish TV dish is any harder or easier to set up an lock in than Directs dish? I plan to set this up and play with it a while before we go out.

Rob_Fla

We have Dish and still use a manual tripod with our HD Dish. After setting up a few times I have gotten pretty good at it, it usually takes me about 5 minutes to get the Tripod / Dish out, setup and aim it. We do not have the Hopper but do have the Dish Network Dual Channel Dish Receiver which allows us to use one receiver in the living room to feed both TVs and we can watch different channels on each TV. Since we move quite frequently we chose to get Distant Network Service which allows us to get the New York and San Francisco Network Feeds anywhere in the country without having to call Dish every time we move.

RoadJunkie

I know that both providers use contractors to sell sat service, but have not heard of any sub contracting of sat leasing. I dont think that issue should be considered in your decision, in either case. I have also had no problem (while using Dish) maintaining consistent programming. I do have to call and have them change my local address-not my billing address-to get local network stations. I went with Dish because my Carry Out antenna only gets HD sat reception while using that carrier. Be sure the antenna you use is compatible with HD and the receiver (Hopper?) will work with your auto-aligning antenna (Carry out, Tailgate, etc.).

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I know that both providers use contractors to sell sat service, but have not heard of any sub contracting of sat leasing. I dont think that issue should be considered in your decision, in either case. I have also had no problem (while using Dish) maintaining consistent programming. I do have to call and have them change my local address-not my billing address-to get local network stations. I went with Dish because my Carry Out antenna only gets HD sat reception while using that carrier. Be sure the antenna you use is compatible with HD and the receiver (Hopper?) will work with your auto-aligning antenna (Carry out, Tailgate, etc.).

We used to have Dish but have had Direct for a number of years now. We have kept Direct as we feel it gives us a better picture. If you decide on Direct TV send me a PM before you sign up and I will give you my account number which saves you and I $10 a month on our bill. :)

dave10a

Everything you want to know about satellite stuff is here :) http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php

As far as aiming they are about the same. However dish has an eastern and western arc satellites that may provide more options for aiming the dish to pick them up for situations where trees are obstructing the view. I use a Winegard Carryout that automatically finds any satellite for Dish, DirectTV or Hughes based on how you set up the DIP switches.

TXTiger

There are actually two issues with sat television. First is the equipment and second is the channel package. As far as equipment, we have two choices installed or portable. If you go portable only Dish has HD, Direct does not have HD with a portable set up as yet. If you go portable I am told that you can not DVR. Only a installed dish can do this. However I have seen adds that state with a Dish receiver you can add an external hard drive to DVR. With either Dish or Direct you can choose a channel package at various prices from $19 to $89 a month depending on what channels you want. Dish also has a pay as you go with no contract on a month to month basis.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Does any body have the tailgater working in there rv and dish at home on the same account. That will be the deciding factor in my choice

MTPockets

Does any body have the tailgater working in there rv and dish at home on the same account. That will be the deciding factor in my choice
We had dish at home and tailgater for travel before the house sold. Never used DVR so can't help with that. We never paid extra for tailgater. Just plug in and go.

scottyb

I was a Dish customer for 10years and loved it, until I switched to cable to get HS internet. I was still on dial-up until 2006. Now, I have a Tailgater and I used the receiver both at home and for the RV. I believe the only receivers (211 and 411) that are compatible with the Tailgater do not offer DVR. I was using it for a bedroom TV and did not require DVR.

Getting really tired of cable bills, I recently tried to have Dish installed for the whole house to no avail. 1) The installer called me from Lake Havasu, AZ, where I had once used my tailgater and had given them an address to get local stations. I specifically told the sales person on the phone it was for my home billing address in Texas. I even gave him directions 2) After re-scheduling for the next day, my wife called and said nobody showed up again. When I called them they had no record of my work order. The manager said they would make amends and waive the one-time setup fees ($300) for the Hopper and 2 Joeys. I agreed. 3) On the 3rd scheduled install date, the tech had the wrong equipment, called customer service, and they told him there would be a $300 fee. I called and gave them the manager's ID#, and they said they had no means of contacting him or any way for me to contact him, and that they could not waive the fee. The contract installer said this happens all the time. I cancelled the order.

I like the Dish Tailgater, but I guess I will not be having Dish in my house again. I now have DirecTV with Genie in the house and my Dish account is on pause for the winter @ $5 / mo. My experience with DirectV has been 180 from Dish. Too bad.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I know somebody who works for Dish Network . . .

And she told me to get Direct TV!

We ditched our Comcast cable TV earlier this year as their price just got too high for television.

However, I did keep the Comcast internet . . . best there is!