Dish TV or Direct?

Pizzaguy

We have Dish and still use a manual tripod with our HD Dish. After setting up a few times I have gotten pretty good at it, it usually takes me about 5 minutes to get the Tripod / Dish out, setup and aim it. We do not have the Hopper but do have the Dish Network Dual Channel Dish Receiver which allows us to use one receiver in the living room to feed both TVs and we can watch different channels on each TV.
X2.
I have had both Dish and Directv and use the manual tripod. Once you get to know how set it up, they are about equal in effort to lock in the satellites. Directv HD is nicer than Dish in the fact you only need 1 cable and easier to send the signal to 2 or 3 different receivers.

dave10a

Does any body have the tailgater working in there rv and dish at home on the same account. That will be the deciding factor in my choice
I use my home receiver (211) for both RV and home. for the RV I use the Winegard GM-18 autodish, That way I get the same programing with HD where ever I am at. While in Florida for the winter I suspend the Dish account because the RV resort I am at has good cable and I don't need satellite until I travel . If I decide to change to DirectTV in the future my Winegard will work with it as well-- but I think and adapter is available to get the HD stuff.

dave10a

Capture.JPG This is how the Hopper/Joey is hooked up for Dish for those interested. If one has a DPP compatible Satellite Dish and a Dish Network account, this is a good way to get HD satellite on two or more TVs. My trailer is wired to allow this so it should not be a problem to get Satellite TV on my bedroom and main TV.

DesertThumper

I currently also use the Dish 211K receiver for home and take it with us when RV traveling. We also use the Tailgater and works great!!! 5 minutes to setup. No problems.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Whichever you decide on I would recommend a portable auto seeking satellite dish.

mobilcastle

Update: I went with the tailgator since we only want a feed to one TV and it was easy to setup. Quality of picture is very good-HD. I decided it was one less thing to hassle with when we setup. Packages are reasonable and I like no contract. I am sure it is not for everyone but it works for us. Thanks for all the responses.

wdk450

X2.
I have had both Dish and Directv and use the manual tripod. Once you get to know how set it up, they are about equal in effort to lock in the satellites. Directv HD is nicer than Dish in the fact you only need 1 cable and easier to send the signal to 2 or 3 different receivers.

I have a Dish 722 dual receiver in my home which I take with me on the road. It uses only 1 cable to the Dish 1000.2 antenna. It has 2 separate tuners for the 2 TV's I use at home and in the trailer. My trailer wiring setup literally mirrors my home wiring setup. I simply call in a new local location when I want the local network stations, but during the summer, leave the service address set to Sacramento, and the I can see my Bay area Baseball games wherever I am. I have found that the local spotbeam for Los Angeles is pretty big, having received it as far away as Quartzsite, Arizona, San Diego, and Porterville (North of Bakersfield). With a good digital compass and a cheap satellite finder meter, I can set up the dish antenna pretty quickly.

Flyerone

I have Dish at home, not very happy that they are blocking several local channels because of a cost dispute. How did you get them to change to a west coast feed, I asked about it and they said they couldn't do it. Also with the Dish 722 how did you get both TV's to run off the one receiver, were you able to use existing wiring, or did you have to run your own?

wdk450

I have Dish at home, not very happy that they are blocking several local channels because of a cost dispute. How did you get them to change to a west coast feed, I asked about it and they said they couldn't do it. Also with the Dish 722 how did you get both TV's to run off the one receiver, were you able to use existing wiring, or did you have to run your own?

Flyerone and all:
Here is one secret I have figured out: When you call Dish to change your service location they can't verify what location you are telling them is true. I was at TT San Benito last week, and had my service location set to my home address in Sacramento. If I had given them the San Benito address, I would have gotten the Bay Area (or Monterey?) local network stations. Instead I got the full compliment of Sacramento local stations (only in SD) due to overlap of the satellite spotbeams. I related on another post how I got the L.A. network stations in Quartzsite, Arizona due to the big L.A. spotbeam.

The wiring is a little complex due to the use of frequency-dependent splitters/combiners called diplexers. These allow 2 distinct signals of very different frequency bands to share the same cable. Hee is a link to one of these (Radio Shack stocks them, too): http://www.parts-express.com/rca-antenna-satellite-diplexer-splitter--189-011?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla
Bighorn Coax wiring diagram from "Tools/Manuals" tab at top of this page: http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...-BH_and_2012-2013_BC_Coax_Layout-FEL-5045.pdf

My wiring starting at the dish antenna goes to the UDC where it goes into the "Sat" connector of a diplexer (I will not use the terms "input" or output on the diplexers, since they are bidirectional). The "Ant/Sat" connector is connected to the Bighorn's "Input from Satellite Dish" connector (see cabling diagram - blue cable). The antenna signal goes to the entertainment center connector where a jumper connects it to the Dish 722 receiver wiring. The Dish receiver wiring starts with a diplexer, the dish antenna signal connected to the diplexer "Ant/Sat" terminal. The "Sat" terminal of the diplexer is connected to a special signal splitter ( http://www.3starinc.com/holland_hfs-2_2-way_horizontal_port_satellite_broadband_splitter.html ) that can handle the 12 Ghz band dish antenna signals. The output of this splitter feeds the 2 antenna inputs on the 722 receiver. The UHF picture signal for the 2nd (bedroom) TV comes out of the back of the 722 receiver, goes to the "Ant" (some diplexers are labelled "UHF" on this connector) connector to the diplexer previously used for the incoming dish antenna signal. The rear TV signal then rides back to the UDC on the same cable as the incoming dish antenna signal and is split out at the diplexer in the UDC. This connector is connected by a short jumper RG-6 (like some of the others) to the "Sat" UDC connector (purple cable on diagram) to the rear TV. The rear TV is tuned to whatever channel is set-up in the 722 modulator programming set-up (CH 90 cable on mine).

When I move the receiver from home to the Bighorn, besides the front TV signal connections and power plug, I just disconnect/reconnect the single cable from the shared dish antenna/rear tv signal cable at the receiver diplexer.

I know of no network signals blocked here on Dish due to cost disputes. When these things have happened before, usually they are ironed out a few days before the threatened cut-off date or a few days into the cut-off. Is this the dispute you are talking about?: http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/01/dish-network-raycom-abc-fox-nbc-cbs-blackout/

Theresau

Earlier response indicated you can't get Directv HD with a portable dish. That's not accurate. Winegard Traveler provides HD for Directv. You can also put a dish on a tripod. We used that until we got the Traveler. We usually got signal in about 5 mins. Directv set up the SWM system for us.

We used to swap our house DVRs between the house and RV. We now have separate for each. Turn off those we're not using. We have Directv modify our receiving address when we are out of state so we can get locals.

Directv has great customer service. Reason we continue with them.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey Mrs T I think he meant you can't get directv hd from the carry out/cube/tailgater type dishes. Or atleast that is what I took it to mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I believe the only receivers (211 and 411) that are compatible with the Tailgater do not offer DVR.

All of the 211 series dish receivers have the ability to have an external hard drive added for a one-time fee. The DVR feature works fine on my 211K receiver. Home or away.