Do I need a slider hitch?

Boozecamp

The bed length on my '11 F250 short bed is 6'-9". I'm buying a 2014 Bighorn 3010RE that promotes an 88deg turn radius. 5'er has a pinbox. Do I need a slider hitch? If not, what hitch is recommended? Dealer wants to charge me $1500 for a slider I think I don't need. Confused about, single pivot, double pivot, etc.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Others will chime in, but from what I have read.... No. Get a pull rite 18.5 k hitch or even a Curt Q5 or B&W. They will all do the job.
There is an internet company in So. Ca. that sells a 20 k curt for like $450 with no tax or shipping. Someone had posted it here or on escapees forum before, I will try to find it and repost. Get one with a fully articulating head and fully enclosed jaws. If I had it all over to do again I would get the Pullrite with the super brackets. I have the Curt Q5 20k and it works great.

Boozecamp

Others will chime in, but from what I have read.... No. Get a pull rite 18.5 k hitch or even a Curt Q5 or B&W. They will all do the job.
There is an internet company in So. Ca. that sells a 20 k curt for like $450 with no tax or shipping. Someone had posted it here or on escapees forum before, I will try to find it and repost. Get one with a fully articulating head and fully enclosed jaws. If I had it all over to do again I would get the Pullrite with the super brackets. I have the Curt Q5 20k and it works great.

Many thanks! Kinda what I was hoping.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Didn't find calif. dealer, but there is one in Missouri www.chuxtrux.com Curt Q5 20K model 16525 for $425.00 no tax or shipping.
You will still need to buy a rail kit to mount it. I bought local and I if memory serves me right I paid $640.00 and thought I was getting a deal. lol

Theresau

We no longer use our slider as a slider and have had no issues with the new BC. New BC, BH and LM now have an even better front cap that accommodates the 88 deg turning radius better yet.

Also whatever you decide - get the best internet price and ask the dealer to honor it - we've had good luck doing that.

The bed length on my '11 F250 short bed is 6'-9". I'm buying a 2014 Bighorn 3010RE that promotes an 88deg turn radius. 5'er has a pinbox. Do I need a slider hitch? If not, what hitch is recommended? Dealer wants to charge me $1500 for a slider I think I don't need. Confused about, single pivot, double pivot, etc.

Garypowell

We had a 3010RE for 3 years and pulled and turned with a Chevy 08 short bed with no problems. Have a Kurt Q5.

I would buy the hitch separate and once you have your best deal tell them if they will install hitch you'll buy from them. A little labor is not a big deal.

priorguy

Has anyone tried a sidewinder. I had one dealer trying to sell me a 5er for my F150 5'6" bed and told me a sidewinder would work, and you don't have slide anything. Note: I bought a bumper pull somewhere else. This youtube videos even show my little truck doing 90 degree turns forward and back. This replaces your pinbox and can even be equipped with air ride.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Has anyone tried a sidewinder. I had one dealer trying to sell me a 5er for my F150 5'6" bed and told me a sidewinder would work, and you don't have slide anything. Note: I bought a bumper pull somewhere else. This youtube videos even show my little truck doing 90 degree turns forward and back. This replaces your pinbox and can even be equipped with air ride. This one is reese but there are others too.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iBjdXHf2yaY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=iBjdXHf2yaY

If he was trying to sell you a 5th wheel for your 1/2 ton pick up, he would probably tell you anything! lol

priorguy

If he was trying to sell you a 5th wheel for your 1/2 ton pick up, he would probably tell you anything! lol

Well, the trailer was light enough and so was the pin weight as long as I left the family and gear at home, or it followed in the car I'd be good. There are "half ton" fifth wheels on the market but you get more out of bumper pull. All you gain in a 5er is the headroom. The extra framing and pinbox not to mention box mounted hitch adds so much weight the you can't have a lot of useful things. I'm happy at 60% of my trucks capacity dry instead of 95% dry.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
NO. I could make over a 90* turn when I had the SB Chevy and the Horn. I now have a LB....so who cares.