Dodge....Maybe?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Looking at a 2007 Dodge DRW with 6.7 diesel, Auto. Anything good or bad? Anything to look for? What is the Towing Cap (4:10 ratio I think). Thanks for the help.

Jamie

GOTTOYS

There have been several computer updates since the early 6.7s came out. Yours probably has all of them done. The 6.7 and 6spd auto are essentially the same from 2007-2011. Solid performer, plenty of power. Many say the last of the 5.9s were better because they didn't have all the emissions controls. My 2010 is one of my all time favorite trucks. I average 11.6 mpg towing my BC3250 at 62mph on relatively flat ground with 3:73 gears. This thing doesn't even break a sweat! No major problems that I am aware of. These Cummins are supposed to last 350,000 miles between overhauls. You'll see tons of them pulling HotShot trailers all over the country...Good Luck..Don

Elevatorman

I have to agree with GOTTOYS my 08 is avg. 11.5 up and down the east coast this last trip with a combined gross at 23K. I also have 3.73 gears, and the truck, even though it knows the weight is there it handles it without breaking a sweat and hums along around 1700 rpm's around 65mph.. I love it!

Gaffer

My 2008 1 ton 6.7 has 4.10 gears. At 60mph I am right at the peak torque 1600-1700 rpm. Trailer tires are only rated for 65mph so I don't venture over 60 very often.

Bighurt

You know they don't even cal them Dodge trucks anymore.... Not once is mentioned in any commercial, everything is Ram.

In addition the word dodge is only found in two spots on the new truck.

IMO it looks like they are phasing out Dodge in favor of Ram.

I find it funny...

Cheers
Jeremy

boatdoc

I'll have to mirror everyone else on the Dodge!! It feels the weight, heck it's a 3670, but handles it very well. The number one thing for me though, is, I drive down the road not worrying about what's going to go wrong next on the 6.0 PSD.

sgtbigb

I had a 2007 Dodge 6.7 diesel, Towed very good. Only problem is that it had a problem with the check engine lite comming on. My 2007 dodge had this problem up to the date traded it. Dodge stated it was fix with later models.

Jellystone

JWalker, I have the 2009 dually with the 6.7 cummins and factory installed exhaust brake and I flat out Love This Truck. The fuel mileage is great, handling is terrific, power under the hood is fantastic, and it rides fine while towing our 14,000 lbs Road Warrior. Check the 2007 over good and if things meet your needs then buy it and enjoy.

JWalker

I stopped again today and I must say, the 07 is a very nice truck, with some pros and cons. Cons.....it is an ST model with very little options, very little. Pros......Quad cab diesel with only 9037 miles. Still trying to make up our mind.

Thanks for all the help.
Jamie

loafer

Jamie
Thats such a low mileage truck its not even broke in yet .Such low miles for an O7. Yes options are nice does it have air?
Options are good for resale but if the price is right and you can live with what it has then its like buying a new truck.Is it at a dealer?
Just my .O2 cents worth
Bill

JWalker

Jamie
Thats such a low mileage truck its not even broke in yet .Such low miles for an O7. Yes options are nice does it have air?
Options are good for resale but if the price is right and you can live with what it has then its like buying a new truck.Is it at a dealer?
Just my .O2 cents worth
Bill

It is at a local dealer and it does have air.

robnmo

Jamie

We've got a late 07 with the 6.7 like your looking at but in the Laramie, like someone else pointed out the check engine light was a plague for the 1st yr we had the truck, almost like clock work every 2K miles it came on, everything from O2 sensors, to turbo charger issues, etc. Dodge covered everything except the O2 sensor replacements, we just got another recall about 4 months ago to reset the computer and send them any bills we paid out of pocket since we owned the truck. (we bought it used also w/ 62K miles on it). We took it in got it reprogrammed per the recall, and going on 15K miles later not one check engine light and they sent us a check for the O2 sensor's we paid for a year ago. Other than the ck engine light issues at first that now seem to be solved, we absolutely love the truck, but it's also got all the bells and whistles right down to warming yer backside on a cold morning and auto dimming the interior rearview at night. It is definitely a workhorse and walks up hills pulling the Cyclone and never looks back, the exhaust brake is great. Fuel mileage empty runs 17 to 18 (depending on how close to the floor the skinny pedal goes), and towing we've gotten a low of 6.5 and a high of nearly 11 just depends on wind and terrain. Only thing we'll probably add is some type of air bag to level it a bit when hooked up (tired of getting the flashy light thing at night from oncoming traffic) and activate the SIRIUS radio, otherwise it's a great truck.

Moose

With that little mileage what the heck was it used for? 3,000 miles a year? Why don't you run it through CarFax or something like that? Are they offering any kind of warranty?

If it has the most up to date flashes (J35 I think) you should be A-OK.

Like was already stated that truck isn't broken in yet.

If the price is right you will be quite happy.

JWalker

Thanks for all the help. I am starting to lean to the Dark side......oh I mean the Dodge side. I test drove today and was pleased. Carfax, 1 owner, no problems. They are throwing some good #s at me. They really want my F250 bad. More calls for a 3/4 ton than a DRW 1 ton I guess. Anyone know what part of the VIN # tells the gear ratio?

Again, thanks for the help.

Jamie

Bernie55

To boatdoc... Been there , done that, with the 6.0....Now have an 06 Dodge 5.9, i don't get sick to my stomach anymore.....

Moose

If you go here https://www.dodge.com/hostb/crossbrand/owners/en/ and on the left side down the page a bit you can check for recalls by entering the VIN.

Here http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2007/docs/intro/vin.pdf you will fine how to decode VIN for 2007. Don't see anything for gears though.

Ask for the build sheet. It will have it. You can get this from Dodge if dealer won't give it to you. But they should be able to.

Oh and here is a link to Dodge where you can request the build sheet and they will email it to you. http://www.dodge.com/wccsapp/universal/D/index.jsp?appStr=wccs&titleStr=Contact+Dodge&familyStr=brand&franchise=D&actionURL=%2Fwccs%2Fbrand_forms%2Fus%2Fwebform.jsp&promotion=null&category=U

Last edited:

KL7j

Thanks for all the help. I am starting to lean to the Dark side......oh I mean the Dodge side. I test drove today and was pleased. Carfax, 1 owner, no problems. They are throwing some good #s at me. They really want my F250 bad. More calls for a 3/4 ton than a DRW 1 ton I guess. Anyone know what part of the VIN # tells the gear ratio?

Again, thanks for the help.

Jamie

Usually there is a tag on the differential with the ratio.

Using the vin, check it's service/repair history at a dealer.
That history would also cover update flashes it should have or needs.
It also should reveal if it had any issues.
Sooting in the exhaust system DPF (diesel particulate filter) was an issue back when the 2007.5's came out and flashes were developed later that addressed it better. Later models have a little different EGR design, but if worked, that truck should do well. There is a limit on long idle times with the 2007.5's and up and including the 2011's which is mentioned in the later manuals and needs to considered on operating habits.

JWalker

Usually there is a tag on the differential with the ratio.

Using the vin, check it's service/repair history at a dealer.
That history would also cover update flashes it should have or needs.
It also should reveal if it had any issues.
Sooting in the exhaust system DPF (diesel particulate filter) was an issue back when the 2007.5's came out and flashes were developed later that addressed it better. Later models have a little different EGR design, but if worked, that truck should do well. There is a limit on long idle times with the 2007.5's and up and including the 2011's which is mentioned in the later manuals and needs to considered on operating habits.

What do they consider long idle times? Are flashes for the computer handled $$ wise through the dealer or is it at the owners expense?

Thanks
Jamie