Dometic 1350 cooling issues

RonaB

Hi, I have a Bighorn with the Dometic 1350 fridge. I live in S. CA and on hot days (so far hottest has been in the 80's but summer where i am goes into the 90's and 100's!) the fridge has a problem staying cool. I have it on the coolest setting, 5, and it can climb into the high 30's or low 40's. I have 2 battery operated fans inside facing the fins and i just had a tech install two 12V fans on the lower outside vents to push the hot air up and hopefully out.

The fridge is in the slide which i understand does not allow for good venting. I dont' crowd the fridge, keep the back walls free, and try to get in and out of the fridge as quickly as possible. Door seals seem fine. RV tech says everything is fine.

My concern is how hot the fridge will get as we approach summer and the 90 and 100 degree weather.

Any suggestions? anyone switch out for a residential fridge? Thanks! Rona

danemayer

Hi RonaB,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

We haven't heard too much about RM1350 cooling problems recently because Heartland switched to Norcold 4 or 5 years ago. But there's a rich history prior to that. I'm sure some of our owners will chime in with things for you to look at.

Here's a link to a thread where someone replaced a 1350 with a Samsung residential unit.

RonaB

Hi RonaB,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

We haven't heard too much about RM1350 cooling problems recently because Heartland switched to Norcold 4 or 5 years ago. But there's a rich history prior to that. I'm sure some of our owners will chime in with things for you to look at.

Here's a link to a thread where someone replaced a 1350 with a Samsung residential unit.

Humm....my Bighorn is a 2017,it's the Traveler,maybe that's why it's a Dometic?

danemayer

Humm....my Bighorn is a 2017,it's the Traveler,maybe that's why it's a Dometic?
Well, there have been a number of Norcold issues. Maybe Heartland figured it was time to cycle back to Dometic. Or maybe they're just spreading orders across 2 vendors to meet demand, and Traveler gets the Dometic.

I wrongly assumed you had an older trailer.

Is the freezer cooling ok when the refrigerator is struggling?

RonaB

Well, there have been a number of Norcold issues. Maybe Heartland figured it was time to cycle back to Dometic. Or maybe they're just spreading orders across 2 vendors to meet demand, and Traveler gets the Dometic.

I wrongly assumed you had an older trailer.

Is the freezer cooling ok when the refrigerator is struggling?

I should have stated the year of it but in any case, yes, the freezer works fine! I also have a 2001 motorhome with an old Dometic and it cools fantastically, but it's small and not in a slide out so venting is better. I've read the 4 door fridges seals aren't as tight as the 2 doors. thanks so much for replying :). I'll see as the weather gets hotter how it handles and then decide if i'll put a residential in.

danemayer

If the freezer is working well, but the refrigerator is warm, you may have an air leak in the refrigerator compartment. Make sure the flap between the doors is closing smoothly. If it gets stuck, the refrigerator will get very warm. If you use a dollar bill to test the door seals, trap the bill inside the door seals and pull it out. You should feel drag on the bill.

Also, the drain hose on the back side needs a little cap to allow water to drain, but restrict warm air from coming in.

RonaB

If the freezer is working well, but the refrigerator is warm, you may have an air leak in the refrigerator compartment. Make sure the flap between the doors is closing smoothly. If it gets stuck, the refrigerator will get very warm. If you use a dollar bill to test the door seals, trap the bill inside the door seals and pull it out. You should feel drag on the bill.

Also, the drain hose on the back side needs a little cap to allow water to drain, but restrict warm air from coming in.

as far as a drain hose, i've had the back vents off i have never seen a drain hose. wonder where it is?

when i first got the RV in Feb. i did the dollar bill test and it didn't hold well at all but the RV tech said the seals on the 4 doors won't hold like on a 2 door, i guess that makes sense?! I've just been told that the fridge is very large and they put it in a small area so not much venting and without the roof vent they these units just don't cool well. i'm hoping the 2 fans we put on the rear vents will help, waiting for the weather to get hot again.