Dometic awning not extending or retracting

Yesterday when I tried to extend the main awning using the switch inside the coach, the awning only extended about 90% of the way out and then stopped. I tried retracting and no movement either. There is one click noise coming from the awning tube when retract or extend is pressed but no movement. I tried the remote and the same thing happens. Then this morning I tried to retract the awning and it retracted but not fully it stopped a few inches short and then quit again. Now it will not retract or extend again. Just one click when the switch or remote is pressed. I checked the breakers and fuses and nothing blown there.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks!

GWRam

Greg,
The next time you push the awning retract button have someone look at the fuse panel at the same time. Look for a red light under any fuse which may be blown. On my unit the red light under the blown fuse will only light up when you are attempting to use an item on that circuit otherwise no light. Make sure your battery is properly charged or your plugged into an external power source.
If awning still is not retracting, there should be a plastic plug/cap that you can remove from the awning motor cover and you should be able to retract the awning with a ratchet and socket.
Dave

jam20ster

Wondering also if maybe batteries are low. The way you could tell this is to hold down the battery light indicator while using awning. What might be happening is that the batteries are low but have enough to get the awning started and then dip low which is causing them to cut out. Your battery light indicator should indicate this while holding down the button.

Thank you for the tips. It doesn't appear to be a power/battery issue. We are on 50 amp shore power and all other electronics are functioning normally including the other Dometic awning on the slide out. I also checked the the wires on the awning arm near the motor with a volt meter and i am getting power there when the button is pressed. I am thinking it must be the motor that is malfunctioning.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Actually, if the awning is extended, it will take two people to get it back up. One holding onto an awning strap so it doesn't snap back and knock person #2 off the ladder when he releases the spring that is wound by the motor. Go online to Dometic and find the instruction manual for your awning. It may be in the forum Tools tab, as well.

My awning motor died while still under warranty the near the end of the first season we had it. Fortunately, it was retracted and would not extend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tundra2084

I hate to tell you this but it sounds exactly like ours when the motor went bad. Our unit had the first motor go when it was only 6 months old and it was replaced under warranty. One year later we had to have it replaced again while in Florida for the winter. Last year it was again replaced because it would not go in all the way. These are not cheap things to get replaced every year but when it's broke you either fix it or hopefully it dies with the awning in so you can at least get home.

It's currently extended 2 -3 inches and won't extend or retract. I hope it will be okay to travel in that position as we are heading from Florida to Moryde in Elkhart to get some work done. We are also hoping to get into the Heartland service center to get some other warranty issues fixed. We just need to add this one to the list.

danemayer

It's currently extended 2 -3 inches and won't extend or retract. I hope it will be okay to travel in that position

I'm pretty sure you'll need to do something to secure the awning so it doesn't get caught in the wind and unroll as you're towing. If the airflow catches that 2-3 inches, it could all start unrolling and tear the entire awning mechanism off the trailer.

mlpeloquin

Use a hose clamp with some rubber hose to cushion the arms from the metal hose clamp. Gorilla tape across it to make sure the bouncing doesn't dislodge/move the clamp.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I've never messed with it but you defiantly need to get it all the way in or it wont be there when you get to Florida. I think there is a hole to stick an Allan wrench in. I'll go look at mine and get back to ya

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Looks like if you take the 2 allon screws out on the motor side, you can manually roll it in.... Then if you're lucky you can get the top screw back in. If not use a zip tie on each end or something like that

f20676642a63776f6a3af5d4b105bac6.jpg

d5bb0c558e7cb408b458ac0c2612af2f.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hi Dan.
Here's a picture of the awning in it's current state. It's just barely ajar. I don't see any place to zip tie it or strap it.

Thank you!

Greg

Awning.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Jerrod! I will take a look and see if I can roll it in the last little bit.

danemayer

Hi Dan.
Here's a picture of the awning in it's current state. It's just barely ajar. I don't see any place to zip tie it or strap it.

Thank you!

Greg

View attachment 46645

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Jerrod! I will take a look and see if I can roll it in the last little bit.

I think you have to keep the roller from rotating. You might have to get advice from Dometic if you can't get it all the way in.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya my hope would be to pull the Allen bolts and get it in as far as you can and then get that top Allen bolt back into one of the 2 holes. That would be my best solution for the problem.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looks like you might be able to slip a zip tie under the channel on the wall. Then use another (or two) to pull the arm in tight.

MTPockets

Our motor went bad which was ultimately determined as caused by a bad switch. It was still under the two year warranty at the time so we got a mobile tech to contact Dometic who sent the replacement motor along with an improved switch. No problems since. Mobile tech charge was $75.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Hi Dan.

Thank you!

Greg

View attachment 46645

You definately don't want that awning coming unrolled while on the road . . . had that happen once with our old Coachman TT.

Was in strong winds and looked in the mirror and the manual awning was all the way out and flapping in the wind.

I was lucky that I was less than a mile from a truck stop and was able to get it rolled back up with no damage or hitting anything with it.

I never trusted it again after that and always bungee corded both ends at the top for added security.

Camper10767.jpg