Drain Valves Open Or Closed Over Winter

Squirlee

I have winterized my Oakmont with the plumbing antifreeze. I pumped it through to all sinks, taps, toilet, shower and the washer prep. Filled all the p-traps (except the washer drain as it is never used). I also made sure the fresh water inlet and black tank flush had some antifreeze in them as well.

I put about a half gallon down the fresh water line into the tank. Not sure if it needed it or not.

My question is this, do I now open all the drain valves (I have a fresh tank drain, hot water and cold water drain) or just leave all the lines full of antifreeze (I know it sounds like a stupid question, just not sure if the intent of the antifreeze is to flush the water out or if it is meant to keep the lines full all winter).

Also, if anyone has any comments on things to watch for please feel free to post them here. I used the winterization guide here.

Thanks as always.

gasman

Camp Socializer
The intent of the antifreeze is indeed to flush out the water. You could open the valves you referred to just until pink comes out and then shut them for the winter. This would assure that the valves don't freeze.

porthole

Retired
When I winterize:
I drain the water heater and use the bypass valves.
I use clean compressed air to blow out all the lines.
I run antifreeze through all the lines.
I run the washing machine through a normal cycle while connected to an antifreeze bucket.

When all that is done I open all the valves and let what ever is in the lines drain out.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't open the tank drains when I winterize the rig. Never had a problem in the spring with the valves.