Dual Pane or NO dual pane that is the question

golfrichv

My wife and I are taking delivery of a 2016 Bighorn 3750 FL in Jan. We live in Oregon. I did not order dual pane windows on this unit. We have a Durango 38' 5th wheel made by KZ that has dual pane windows, we bought it new. Within 6 years 5 of the widows were going bad. That's the main reason I didn't want dual pane again. Any thoughts on this?

danemayer

Hi golfrichv,

Congratulations on your Bighorn order and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Discussion on dual pane windows comes up from time-to-time. Most who have them are happy they do. They help with noise. In cold weather they may reduce condensation and icing on the interior panes. They don't have the R-value of a double pane residential window, but they may help some with heat transfer - in either direction.

I've seen reports of fogging dual pane windows in the time frame you mentioned, but as far as I know, it's not terribly common.

If you are having second thoughts, this might be a good time to see if you can have your order modified.

AAdams

We ordered dual pane on all our rigs. I wouldn't have a rig without them. On our '16 3750 FL the windows that are in the side of the slide out are the only framed windows and all the others ( all the windows that can be seen while the slides are in ) are frame-less dual pane. There is a slight advantage with the heating/cooling, but we like that it also helps with the sound. We hear less road noise, neighbors, etc.

wehavefun

We are getting them in our new 3760 EL, but at the dealer they did try to tell me I wouldn't be happy with them. I guess time will tell.
It's at Mor Ryde now getting the
Independent Suspension and disk brakes added. We will do PDI Monday at dealer.

aRAYwego

We are getting them in our new 3760 EL, but at the dealer they did try to tell me I wouldn't be happy with them. I guess time will tell.
It's at Mor Ryde now getting the
Independent Suspension and disk brakes added. We will do PDI Monday at dealer.
My dealer talked me out of them. I wish I would have ordered them. It's funny to note that the next 2 units that dealer ordered for their lot included dual pane windows. Still not sure why they would be against a customer ordering a rig with them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dennyha

When we bought our fifth wheel, the dealer claimed that they stopped ordering units with dual panes due to the number of customer complaints they were receiving. Sounds like a common theme from the dealers.

danemayer

When we bought our fifth wheel, the dealer claimed that they stopped ordering units with dual panes due to the number of customer complaints they were receiving. Sounds like a common theme from the dealers.

When dealers order RVs that are going to sit on the lot, they only want to order options that nearly everyone wants. If you don't care about a particular option, such as dual pane windows, and they're on the trailer you want, it just makes it harder to come to agreement on price. It's easier for the dealer to leave them off the order, have a lower price, and then make up a reason why you don't really want that option.

Westwind

It all depends on the type of use the RV is going to get, we bought our Bighorn off the lot in Maine, single pane windows. We snowbird in it in Florida and this past winter was a cold one with temps in the upper 30's and we made out fine, we keep the night shades drawn at night and we might have mild sweating on the windows but nothing to fret over, once they were up in the morning they would dry. Most campgrounds are fairly quiet so noise doesn't bother us.
If I were full timing in it I would probably spring for them - tops on my list would be automatic leveling and disk brakes then the windows. Safety first in my book.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
If I were full timing in it I would probably spring for them - tops on my list would be automatic leveling and disk brakes then the windows. Safety first in my book.

We're anytimers and auto leveling, disc brakes, DP windows and more is on my list for the next one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f250dieseldad

Had them on our last Bighorn, It did make it a little more quiet but that was about it. Don't have them on this Bighorn and don't notice any difference. Put your money into different options.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Our first Landmark we did not get the dual pane windows (I didn't think I wanted to spend the extra money). The last two Landmarks both had/have dual panes and I would not be without them. They help reduce the outside noise and in my opinion help keep the camper warmer in the cold weather and cooler in the hot weather.

golfrichv

I'm not convinced that dual pane is the way to go. I just had bad luck with them in the past. We are mostly in Oregon so I'm not really worried about the cold so much. I just hate looking out of cloudy windows. Drives my wife nuts and that's not good. Thanks again. Rich

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I ordered my North trail specifically with Dual pane windows. I certainly does make a difference in noise reduction. It also helps reduce the amount of propane I use. I added a heat strip to the rear AC unit and can pretty much heat the entire RV with just occasional cycling of the furnace. During the summer time, The dual pane windows seems to keep the heat out and certainly add an extra element of privacy during the day.

sengli

When we ordered our big horn we went to the factory several times over a 5 month period. During one of our visits we talked with the GM of the big horn line and a engineering guy as well. I point blank asked them about the dual pane option. Basically I was told the aluminum cased windows only had a .07 R factor rating which is very poor. Plus they went to explain that the added 300 lbs or so it would add to the coach. Plus the $2500 or more it would cost. Meant the payback potential just wasnt there, considering the current R factor related to the coach as a whole.
Granted they might not sweat as much in some cases. We didnt get them.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
When we had our first 4 rigs we always thought having dual pane windows would be a waste, however since we got dual pane windows on our Landmark, we would never own another rig without them. They completely take away all the window condensation and the temperature radiation from the windows is drastically reduced compared to single pane. The other advantage is the sound transfer from outside to inside. Huge difference. The R value difference is not a huge one overall, however like I said, when sitting next to the window on extremely cold days, or really hot days, does make a difference on what radiates through.

Rod