Dual Whisper Dometic A/c on Bighorn

I purchased a 2017 Bighorn 3760EL mid Sept.2016 and my AC wasn't cooling so I started looking in the ducts and taking pictures. What I saw was poor construction. I contacted Heartland and sent them the pictures. They took my RV back to the manufacturer and said they would put a whole new roof assembly. I received my unit back today and still same issue. Not cooling like it should. Started taking the duct covers off and took more pictures. Unbelievable. It looks worst than before. This is a nightmare. Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions on making these fools at Heartland fixing this problem.

SNOKING

I purchased a 2017 Bighorn 3760EL mid Sept.2016 and my AC wasn't cooling so I started looking in the ducts and taking pictures. What I saw was poor construction. I contacted Heartland and sent them the pictures. They took my RV back to the manufacturer and said they would put a whole new roof assembly. I received my unit back today and still same issue. Not cooling like it should. Started taking the duct covers off and took more pictures. Unbelievable. It looks worst than before. This is a nightmare. Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions on making these fools at Heartland fixing this problem.

If you are in 95+ temps then two AC is not going to cool it. We have a 3575el and have been leaving the t-stats and 72 degrees(you have to stay ahead of the game). Door side is to the South/sun. Trailer has gotten up to 78 if we do not close night shades during the day. Having the awnings out helps. We got our grey awning drop screens today and when the wind is low so we can have the awnings/screens deployed I believe these will help more.

Really need three AC's.

If you are in 95+ temps then two AC is not going to cool it. We have a 3575el and have been leaving the t-stats and 72 degrees(you have to stay ahead of the game). Door side is to the South/sun. Trailer has gotten up to 78 if we do not close night shades during the day. Having the awnings out helps. We got our grey awning drop screens today and when the wind is low so we can have the awnings/screens deployed I believe these will help more.

Really need three AC's.

Three AC units would be nice but that doesn't fix the poor construction of the duct system. Not sure who designed the duct system but pretty sure it's not right. They have both AC units blowing in the same duct. From some of the threads I've read on here and talking to some AC experts it's not the correct way.

danemayer

Three AC units would be nice but that doesn't fix the poor construction of the duct system. Not sure who designed the duct system but pretty sure it's not right. They have both AC units blowing in the same duct. From some of the threads I've read on here and talking to some AC experts it's not the correct way.

In talking with Landmark 365 owners who have 3 air conditioners, it seems like the duct design works well because the coaches can be cooled down quickly and comfortable temperatures can be maintained in the hottest weather.

Heat transfer from direct sun on the side walls, and on the windows, always seems to me to be the biggest problem when it comes to cooling these coaches.

SNOKING

Get a roll of silver back HAVC tape and start fixing all the leaks you can, including removing the AC covers and carefully the foam piece inside.

Yes, they get a F- grade for there work on the ducks. However yesterday in 95 degrees we easily maintained 72.

Look at what I found with my rear unit.

Chris

I'm a prospective Bighorn buyer of a 3970RD, we live in Texas so I'm very focused on a\c issues.

I've read some post about the issues with the a/c and got concerned.

I took the cold air vents off and with my phone took pictures up and down the cold air plenum.

What I saw was the silver duct tape that was put on to seal the gaps between the large styrofoam pieces that make up the air plenum all the way down the trailer, the tape was falling off.

Any of you all seen this issue and got any ideas of how to fix it?

Last edited:

danemayer

I'm a prospective Bighorn buyer of a 3970RD, we live in Texas so I'm very focused on a\c issues.

I've read some post about the issues with the a/c and got concerned.

I took the cold air vents off and with my phone took pictures up and down the cold air plenum.

What I saw was the silver duct tape that was put on to seal the gaps between the large styrofoam pieces that make up the air plenum all the way down the trailer, the tape was falling off.

Any of you all seen this issue and got any ideas of how to fix it?
I think it might still be pretty hot in Texas early this week. Maybe the dealer will let you run the A/C units in the coach to see how it actually handles the heat.

Last edited:

pday1213

Get a roll of silver back HAVC tape and start fixing all the leaks you can, including removing the AC covers and carefully the foam piece inside.

Yes, they get a F- grade for there work on the ducks. However yesterday in 95 degrees we easily maintained 72.

Look at what I found with my rear unit.

Chris
Chris,
In your top picture what did you end up doing to seal things up? Do you have an "after" pic so I can see what I am going to be looking for and how to possibly correct it. Thanks

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I'll weigh in here and say I had trepidations about the whisper quiet system when we ordered our new 3270 but so far I'm pleased with its performance. Both units blow very cold air. Actually I covered half of the two rear most vents to reduce the cold air blowing down on us while seated on the couch and theater seating. Ditto the bathroom vent.
While in Chattanooga last month we had 90 plus degree heat
c9cbc04031cd69b139f71876792d1227.jpg
with little shade for 4 days in a row and we maintained a comfortable temperature (75-76) for us with the rear AC unit only.
I will say the front AC is far from "quiet". Actually it's louder than the previous version we had in the 3010. Sounds like a train and turbo prop in a tunnel together . On my list for the dealer to inspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dykesj11

Hey, for that noise issue while you are waiting to have the dealer check, look at page 9 of the Heating and Cooling HUG. The guide is dated but we found the approach useful in our 2016 BH 3575EL. Good luck

SNOKING

Chris,
In your top picture what did you end up doing to seal things up? Do you have an "after" pic so I can see what I am going to be looking for and how to possibly correct it. Thanks

Like I said, get a roll of the foil backed HVAC sticky tape and seal every crack you can see and/or reach. That big hole just took multiple pieces of take to seal it off.

Gaps like this where the return was ducted in got taped up also. Gap is to the right of the aluminum plate visible in the photo. Chris

ldprice47

We are currently looking at ordering a BH3760EL or a BC4010RD and am concerned with the whispe quiet problems I have read about with older units. Is there any one out there with a new unit with the fix and how is it working. Living in Central Texas, the sumers can get pretty hot and keeping the unit cool is very important. I will be ordering the unit with dual pane windows to increas R value to keep the cool in.

jimtoo

Hi Idprice47,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Hope to see you at a rally in a Heartland unit sometime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our late 2016 BC 4010RD did not have the problem Dometic ACs, but I would say our ducts are not the most efficient. We made modifications, but it still struggles to keep cold with temps over 95 in TX.

We do not have dual pane windows, and I think that would help. Shade is your biggest aid in fighting the heat. Even with temps over 100, if you can get out of the sun, the AC doesn't have to work so hard. Spent a weekend in San Antonio in July, and the large trees shading us mid afternoon made all the difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuclearcowboy

We spent 10 days in West Texas in July of this year and the temps were brutal. One thing that we did was put a windshield shade in the windows facing the sun while we were away from the RV - just slipped them behind the day/night MCD shades and it helped a LOT!

ldprice47

We spent 10 days in West Texas in July of this year and the temps were brutal. One thing that we did was put a windshield shade in the windows facing the sun while we were away from the RV - just slipped them behind the day/night MCD shades and it helped a LOT!

We did pull the trigger on the Big Horn and the only thing we didn't get that I wanted was the dual pane windows but they really wanted to move the unit real bad and the dealer was just too good to pass up. Still will be better then our 35 foot TT with one 15K a/c unit. Was tough this past July staying at Palo Duro Canyon State Park outside of Amarillo, TX with it being 105+ during the day. The easy part is if the sun is on the door side. The unit has two awnings to help and the other side has only 2 small windows. The challenge will be the rear end cap if it faces west and there I think the windshield shade will make a big difference.

On the plus side, the unit has the new whisper quiet has the fix they are doing now. Time will tell.

SNOKING

We did pull the trigger on the Big Horn and the only thing we didn't get that I wanted was the dual pane windows but they really wanted to move the unit real bad and the dealer was just too good to pass up. Still will be better then our 35 foot TT with one 15K a/c unit. Was tough this past July staying at Palo Duro Canyon State Park outside of Amarillo, TX with it being 105+ during the day. The easy part is if the sun is on the door side. The unit has two awnings to help and the other side has only 2 small windows. The challenge will be the rear end cap if it faces west and there I think the windshield shade will make a big difference.

On the plus side, the unit has the new whisper quiet has the fix they are doing now. Time will tell.

Congratulations on the new BH. You will have to watch your loading and rear axle weight on your TV with SRW truck. Chris