E-Z Pass Question

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
So, had problem on our last 2 trips on the PA Turnpike with our transponder not registering. So after multiple calls and several clueless conversations (Every different person we talked to had a different answer which was costing us money) we received a call from a supervisor stating that we needed a motorhome transponder for a trailer that size. So how is everyone registered with their E-Z Pass pulling their larger 5ers? To many people in Harrisburg telling us to many stories. Don't know what to believe.

Thanks for the help.

Kbvols

I move the EZ Pass transponder from car to truck and ensured both were identified on the account for the transponder. When researching the web site it indicated that was all that needed done and they would automatically account for extra axles when towing. I bought mine in Indiana but since ez pass is a network of several states it should work the same. We went to Wisconsin a few weeks ago and the transponder worked in both IN and IL and charged for the extra axles of the trailer.

Would it be possible the transponder is bad?

HOOKERUP

So, had problem on our last 2 trips on the PA Turnpike with our transponder not registering. So after multiple calls and several clueless conversations (Every different person we talked to had a different answer which was costing us money) we received a call from a supervisor stating that we needed a motorhome transponder for a trailer that size. So how is everyone registered with their E-Z Pass pulling their larger 5ers? To many people in Harrisburg telling us to many stories. Don't know what to believe.

Thanks for the help.
Thats a new one to me. Sounds like no knows what the other hand is doing. I never had any problems with toll bill. If thats the case get a NJ EZ Pass.

Westwind

I just checked my EZPass Account, I was curious but thought I knew what vehicles I had on my account, my car, truck and Bighorn were all listed, # of Axles etc. I use EZPass to get over the Bridge to get off the Island and all the way down south to the Delaware Memorial Bridge and trust me when I say they always bill me for the truck and the trailer. I normally pay 85 cents per trip on the bridge but when I have the truck it's $8, $2 per axle, or the full rate.
What they are telling you is that maybe you need to mount the transponder on the exterior of the vehicle, had a friend who had a C-Class and due to the body overhang over the windshield they had to get a exterior transponder that mounted on their license plate. I'd definitely put that on with pop rivets.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Granted I'm no where near as long as you but the PTC has no problem taking my money for the trip home last month.
Must be that new Ram
Windshield window tint????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
So, the story goes on. First thing this morning I get a phone call from another supervisor at the Pennsylvania Turnpike. It seems they met again this morning and discussed our issue and came to, you guessed it, another conclusion. They now say it was a transponder issue. All of our vehicles are registered on the account and our account is in good standing. We no longer need to go through the commercial department to register and have two transponders when we tow our fifth wheel. But get this, they still want to charge us $25 for every time or transponder did not work. Even though Ginger called and left them know there was an issue the day after on each account. I am just about ready to let the leash off of Ginger and let her have at them. Almost just have to laugh about this whole ordeal.

Thanks

porthole

Retired
FWIIW

All of our vehicles since we have first gotten ez-snap (9 or 10 at least), have been listed as requiring the license plate mounted tag versus the windshield mount.

We have used the windshield mount in every one of them.

I use a windshield mount transponder on the motorcycle. It is mounted in one of the saddlebags.
It works almost every time. Only issues with it are at the smaller NJ to PA bridges.
It works so good that if I forget to take the transponder out of the bike when it is in the Cyclone, I pay double for all the tolls.
And that is with the bike in the garage. I used to keep it mounted inside the front fairing, but that was a pain to remove. Even putting 5 layers of aluminum foil and a heavy leather jacket did not stop it from 'transponding'.
On the days I forget to put the transponder back in the bike the system picks up the license plate and charges the appropriate toll.

The Truck has a standard transponder and I always get charged the toll based on the number of axles. Never did any notification as to towing a trailer.

We have moved the transponder to loaner vehicles when taking cars in for service with no issues.

Here is the New Jersey statement on ez-snap and trailers.

<dl><dt style="margin: 15px 7px 5px 30px; cursor: pointer; font-size: 13px; padding: 2px 6px 5px; color: rgb(51, 0, 51); position: relative; top: 10px;">I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use my tag?</dt><dd class="show" style="margin: 5px 7px 0px 50px; line-height: 1.4em; font-size: 11px; padding: 2px 9px; position: relative; top: 10px; font-weight: normal;">Yes. In this instance the equipment in the lane is designed to identify that your vehicle is pulling a trailer and you will be charged accordingly. However, if you think this will be a regular occurrence, you should call the Customer Service Center and have them send you a tag programmed for the vehicle classification you use most frequently. You should never use your tag in a vehicle type other than the one you initially requested (i.e. Car tag in a tractor-trailer).</dd></dl>

Here is the New Jersey statement on violations. Take note there are only 2 situations that you can get a violation :rolleyes:

<dl><dt style="margin: 15px 7px 5px 30px; cursor: pointer; font-size: 13px; padding: 2px 6px 5px; color: rgb(51, 0, 51); position: relative; top: 10px;">Under what conditions can I get a violation?</dt><dd class="show" style="margin: 5px 7px 0px 50px; line-height: 1.4em; font-size: 11px; padding: 2px 9px; position: relative; top: 10px; font-weight: normal;">There are two situations in which you can receive a violation:
  1. Toll Evasion: When you drive through a lane without a valid E-ZPass tag being properly mounted in your vehicle.
  2. Insufficient Funds: When your account is insufficient and you travel through an "E-ZPass Only" lane.
  3. Class Mismatch: When the vehicle class of the tag you are using does not match that of the vehicle you are driving.
</dd></dl>

<dl><dd class="show" style="margin: 5px 7px 0px 50px; line-height: 1.4em; font-size: 11px; padding: 2px 9px; position: relative; top: 10px; font-weight: normal;">

</dd></dl>

- - - Updated - - -

For New Jersey you do not get a fine for having a transponder that does not work, as long as your account is valid.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm glad we are not forced to use the EZ-Pass here in Colorado.

We have it here in Colorado, but I don't use it as almost every time someone in front of me goes into the 'Express Lanes' . . . when they exit back onto the highway, they are either right in front of me . . . or behind me!

Waste of money, as far as I'm concerned.

Bohemian

On the rare occasion we have been misbilled by EZPass NY, they have quickly corrected it. About twice.

Westwind

I had only one problem when my Credit Card was terminated by the bank, numbers had been compromised and a new card was issued to me, BUT I failed to change the number on my EZPass account and they had no valid credit card to charge my tolls to. It took two months and about 4 phone calls to straighten the confusion out, but they credited the penalty charges and I was happy.
I did have problems talking to the local folks who didn't understand the problem, ended up talking to someone after 4 calls that was able to look my record up and straighten everything up.

porthole

Retired
I had only one problem when my Credit Card was terminated by the bank, numbers had been compromised and a new card was issued to me, BUT I failed to change the number on my EZPass account and they had no valid credit card to charge my tolls to. It took two months and about 4 phone calls to straighten the confusion out, but they credited the penalty charges and I was happy.
I did have problems talking to the local folks who didn't understand the problem, ended up talking to someone after 4 calls that was able to look my record up and straighten everything up.

Almost the same issue. Tolls in Jersey were not a problem, the account just kept getting billed until it was rectified.
Toll in Delaware came with a $25 penalty, as the out of state account was not in good standing.

travelin2

I'm glad we are not forced to use the EZ-Pass here in Colorado.

Waste of money, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not forced to use ezpass but I can save 30%, give or take, on tolls ...
Adds up to more evening refreshments

porthole

Retired
In New Jersey when ez-snap first came out we received:
no cost transponders
no minimum cash 'floating' in hyperspace
off peak discounts on some roads
discounts on the 2 main highways at all times

Then we got minimum float cash of $35, with a replenish rate at $10. Unless you use it a lot, then the minimum is $65 replenish
The we lost the NJ Turnpike and Garden State parkway discounts
Then we lost the NY off peak bridge discounts
Then we got a fee for paper monthly statements of $1 a month
Then most people balked and elected to just get the statement online
The we got a every two month $1 fee if we went that route
Then we got a $1 a month fee, like it or not

The Garden Sate Parkway, for the most part is a nice road, with no trucks above the 105 mile marker. Started in 1947, and tolls introduced in 1950 to fund the construction add-ons.
Tolls were supposed to cease in the early 1970's once the parkway was paid for.

Yeah that didn't happen, now rated as one of the busiest toll roads in the country.

Bones

Another option is to travel no toll routes if possible

- - - Updated - - -

In New Jersey when ez-snap first came out we received:
no cost transponders
no minimum cash 'floating' in hyperspace
off peak discounts on some roads
discounts on the 2 main highways at all times

Then we got minimum float cash of $35, with a replenish rate at $10. Unless you use it a lot, then the minimum is $65 replenish
The we lost the NJ Turnpike and Garden State parkway discounts
Then we lost the NY off peak bridge discounts
Then we got a fee for paper monthly statements of $1 a month
Then most people balked and elected to just get the statement online
The we got a every two month $1 fee if we went that route
Then we got a $1 a month fee, like it or not

The Garden Sate Parkway, for the most part is a nice road, with no trucks above the 105 mile marker. Started in 1947, and tolls introduced in 1950 to fund the construction add-ons.
Tolls were supposed to cease in the early 1970's once the parkway was paid for.

Yeah that didn't happen, now rated as one of the busiest toll roads in the country.

I've learned that we are promised a lot of things that never really happen.

travelin2

I've learned that we are promised a lot of things that never really happen.

Ah yes indeed. Governments are designed to explode/expand not implode!!!!
Many things were originally implemented for the "short term" only to be forever embedded...

Dloebrich

I have the truck and trailer both registered and the transponder in the truck. 3 years and no problems. Some states go by length, others by weight.
I don't remember exactly but I know there was some confusion when we first signed up as to how to register all the vehicles. Maybe your troubles are rooted in the original set-up?

Bones

I have the truck and trailer both registered and the transponder in the truck. 3 years and no problems. Some states go by length, others by weight.
I don't remember exactly but I know there was some confusion when we first signed up as to how to register all the vehicles. Maybe your troubles are rooted in the original set-up?

I've never heard length only axles.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Here is the deal with the toll roads . . .

Sleep in and leave your camp ground around check out time (usually 11 a.m.) . . .

And the high cost of using the bypass !

And you will miss rush hour traffic!

Doesn't matter which metroplex you are in . . .

Which is cheaper . . . $11 for a fast drive?

Leavin an hour early?