Edit: Jacks and Slides not working (except manually).

HPnMORE4J

Get a clicking sound from the jack solenoid but jacks wont come down, now the main slides won't retract and the fridge which is the AC/DC only type wont come on that runs off batteries. Batteries show 12.6 but thinking it might be the load.
Any ideas?...lol

danemayer

If on shore power, the voltage on the levelup display should show 13.2 or higher. If showing 12.6V while on shore power, there's a problem. A simple test is to turn on interior 12V lights and then disconnect shore power (and truck connection if hooked up). If the lights go out when shore power is disconnected, it means that battery power is not getting to the interior of the trailer (which explains the refrigerator issue). Usually, that means the manual reset 12V DC mini-circuit breaker near the battery has tripped. You probably have a row of breakers covered by a red rubber boot. There's a teeny-tiny reset button on one breaker. After resetting the breaker, reconnect shore power and recheck voltage at the levelup display. Should increase to at least 13.2V. If the lights did not go out, you may have a battery problem, or perhaps a ground problem.

All that said, a fully charged battery, isolated from shore power/truck, should read 12.6V DC. At that charge level, it should be able to operate the hydraulics motor to run slides and jacks. So it's possible you also have a bad battery. A quick thing to check is to ensure all cells have water. To fully test, take it to an auto parts store or service center to get it load tested.

HPnMORE4J

Two different issues, got the A/C power from the inverter figured out.
No battery/power issues found, I also ruled out a bad slide switch as I pulled all wires from it and still same.

I was able to manually retract the slides by turning the hex head clockwise on the manifold and using a hex on my drill on top of the pump with clockwise rotation.

When I got home with everything in the same position I flipped the breaker back on, the slides then extended on their own, pump kept running until it popped the breaker again. The pump seams to run on it's own until it builds up to much pressure therefore throwing the breaker.

(right now thinking it may be the pressure switch?)

Last edited:

danemayer

No battery/power issues found, I also ruled out a bad slide switch as I pulled all wires from it and still same.

When I got home with everything in the same position I flipped the breaker back on, the slides then extended on their own, pump kept running until it popped the breaker again. The pump seams to run on it's own until it builds up to much pressure therefore throwing the breaker.

(right now thinking it may be the pressure switch?)
Your symptoms are a bit confusing. The initial description was the classic description of a battery/power issue, yet you didn't find one. And now, the slides extend on their own and pump doesn't shut off.

Sounds like you've corrected the battery/power problem, even if you don't know what you did to correct it.

"I pulled all wires" from the switch, and "pump seems to run on it's own" (as a new symptom), suggests that you may have placed wires incorrectly when you reconnected the switch. For the slides to extend on their own, power to both pump and solenoid must be energized. The single point of failure for both, would be at the switch, and given you pulled all the wires, the wiring is the likely culprit.

The hydraulic pump, to my knowledge, has no pressure switch. It's shutting off because the power goes through a 12V DC mini-circuit breaker near the battery and by keeping the pump running after the slides are fully extended, the current draw goes up and the breaker trips. The breaker will probably need to be replaced now as it's likely been weakened and now will trip more easily after you get the other issues resolved.

HPnMORE4J

Your symptoms are a bit confusing. The initial description was the classic description of a battery/power issue, yet you didn't find one. And now, the slides extend on their own and pump doesn't shut off.

Sounds like you've corrected the battery/power problem, even if you don't know what you did to correct it.

"I pulled all wires" from the switch, and "pump seems to run on it's own" (as a new symptom), suggests that you may have placed wires incorrectly when you reconnected the switch. For the slides to extend on their own, power to both pump and solenoid must be energized. The single point of failure for both, would be at the switch, and given you pulled all the wires, the wiring is the likely culprit.

The hydraulic pump, to my knowledge, has no pressure switch. It's shutting off because the power goes through a 12V DC mini-circuit breaker near the battery and by keeping the pump running after the slides are fully extended, the current draw goes up and the breaker trips. The breaker will probably need to be replaced now as it's likely been weakened and now will trip more easily after you get the other issues resolved.
The A/C electrical issues was merely the GFI on the inverter wasn't reset, everything seem to happen at the same time but as I can see now, shouldn't be related. The batteries are good.

The switch was properly disconnected and re-connected to rule out the continually running motor due to bad switch, pictures and diagram were taken to make sure every wire was properly relocated, and the issue is the same as before the switch was disconnected.

Yes, the system does have a pressure switch (pic attached), even though mine is a 6 bank system. (pressure switch blue/gold)

Hydraulic System1.jpg
Manifold.jpg

Last edited:

HPnMORE4J

When you figure it out, please circle back to let us know what was wrong.
Of course!
I've been on the phone with Lippert tech support several times and they are scratching their heads at the moment. They said if I couldn't manually retract them it would most likely be a valve or low pressure. They retracted so that I believe is ruled out. Now to get back to them with what I've found.

Something is telling the pump to keep running until it throws the breaker.

Last edited:

HPnMORE4J

I believe it is the Trombetta. When I talked to the first tech he ruled it out but I wasn't convinced.
The pump goes on when switch wires are disconnected from it and both terminals test out closed full time which they shouldn't, therefore not disconnecting power.
I have one on order. More to follow.....

Last edited:

danemayer

I believe it is the Trombetta. When I talked to the first tech he ruled it out but I wasn't convinced.
The pump goes on when switch wires are disconnected from it and both terminals test out closed full time which they shouldn't, therefore not disconnecting power.
I have one on order. More to follow.....
For hydraulic slides or jacks to move, 2 things must happen. 1) the pump runs 2) a valve opens.

I don't know of a connection between the trombetta and the valve. The valve could be open mechanically, allowing movement when the pump runs. But in that situation, the slides would move when you operate the landing gear. If the valve is not open mechanically, something is energizing it, along with energizing the pump.

HPnMORE4J

For hydraulic slides or jacks to move, 2 things must happen. 1) the pump runs 2) a valve opens.

I don't know of a connection between the trombetta and the valve. The valve could be open mechanically, allowing movement when the pump runs. But in that situation, the slides would move when you operate the landing gear. If the valve is not open mechanically, something is energizing it, along with energizing the pump.
The Trombetta should stay open until a switch tells it to close and route power to forward or reverse.
This one is staying closed full time (both terminals hot) without the switch telling it to close therefore sending full time power, running the pump until the breaker kicks it off.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you suspect the solenoid had failed why not pick up a new one. Probably about $130 and will take guessing out of the mix. Etrailer

Peace
Dave

wdk450

I think I have also seen the Trombetta relays on E-Bay for a LOT LESS than Lippert charges.

HPnMORE4J

Amazon $49, one on the way
Just noticed after I ordered it they dropped to $38. If I wanted to wait I could get one off ebay for about $25, or take off for $18
...lol, go figure!

Last edited: