Equa-Flex Suspension on Bighorn

randes

Thanks to all of you for the timely advice.

I plan to repack all of my wheel bearings this week. Hopefully, if I can jack up the frame and take the weight off my tires, I will also be able to get some grease in the Equa-Flex Zerks. After reading the instructions from the MOR/Ride web site, I don't think I have the equipment necessary to replace the bushings, I don't have the jack stands to hold up the frame for one thing and I'm not sure if my 4 ton bottle jacks will be adequate to jack up the trailer by the frame. So I will probably try and get the work done after I reach South Carolina. I'll order the kit from MOR/Ride and have it ready.

It would be nice if Heartland would publish an itemized maintenance schedule for each new trailer. Perhaps they do now. My BH is 3 years old and Heartland was only 3 years old when I bought it. They have come a long way since then. A 2011 Big Country pulled in next to me this afternoon. Boy is that one beautiful trailer with that Gray fiber glass outside and the Cherry trim inside. I wish I had stock in Heartland. Ha!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Hi Roy, there are a couple service centers on the west side of Coulmbia that I have heard are good.
One is not a dealer just a service center but I cant remember the name.
If you PM Dale Huer ( mntnman) I think he knows the name of that one.

The other is John's RV right off of 20 west of Columbia. Cant remember what brands he sells, it is not HL, but maybe they work on other brands.

I have no personal experience with either of these-just have heard about them.

BTW, what cg are you staying at in SC? We are leaving on the 16 for VA but should be back the following week and then up to MT Airy NC the first weekend in Oct.for the rally. I think your wedding is that weekend

randes

Hi Larry,

We will be at the Magnolia RV Park and CG off exit 60 on I-26 near Joanna, SC. We will arrive around Sept 27-29 and will probably stay there 2-3 weeks. The wedding is on Oct 2nd.

If you have time to stop by, we would love to see you folks.

Roy, Sarah and Maggie (Our Border Collie)

aatauses

You can take out the zerk with a small wrench or socket set. Check to see if it is damaged/broke. If it looks ok you should be able to put it on the end of your grease gun and see if it will accept grease---if not replace the zerk--they can be purchased at most auto parts store.
I have also seen people take a paperclip and push in on the small needle on the zerk to "free" it.
al

randes

I know it has been several weeks since I started this thread, but I wanted to write the last chapter so that anyone else reading about this problem would know the results I had. As I mentioned in my Post #21, I did repack and adjust my breaks before leaving Denver, CO for Greenville, SC. I also solved my original problem at the same time due to the good advice I received from this forum.

I jacked up each axle until the tire was off the ground. (See my post #11 on how I do this so as not to damage the axle.) Then I placed a bottle jack under the raised frame. After repacking the bearing and before I put the tire back on, I lowered the axle as far as the bottle jack, (under the axle), would allow. At this point, most of the weight was off the axle. Then just as Cookie said in post #2, I was able to grease the zerk associated with that wheel with out any problem. Next I raised the axle again, put the tire back on and adjusted the brake before continuing on to the next tire. Fortunately, the bottle jack which I placed under the frame, right next to the furtherest back spring bracket, allowed me to work on both tires on the same size without having to move the jack position on the frame.

I still have to change out my old spring bolts with new Wet Bolts, but at lease for now, I know the OEM bolts are greased.

A great big THANKS to everyone with all your help!

Roy Andes

lwmcguir

You can take out the Zerk with a small wrench or socket set. Check to see if it is damaged/broke. If it looks ok you should be able to put it on the end of your grease gun and see if it will accept grease---if not replace the Zerk--they can be purchased at most auto parts store.
I have also seen people take a paper clip and push in on the small needle on the Zerk to "free" it.
al

you can use WD-40 or another penetrant to soften the hardened grease that often times keeps the Zerk from accepting grease. they make a great tool for that or you can just spray it in there and use something sharp to mix it around.