Equil-i-zer Hitch Pins

CliffP

I know these are meant to wear some but has anyone had any issues with them bending? Had a four hour round trip pull today that seemed normal and shouldn't have put any extra strain on the hitch. Any idea what caused this? I had to tap them out with a hammer.

2012-06-06 18.34.26 resize.jpg 2012-06-06 18.33.58 resize.jpg

berky

I don't have an Equal-i-zer, Cliff, so I'm not real familiar with the installation/setup. Is it possible you made a real tight turn, maybe when backing up? Or perhaps the bolts holding the brackets to the trailer's A-frame have worked loose?

olyfire

I'm into my third year with equil-i-zer and have not seen any bend with the hitch pins. If your not adjusted correctly and there isn't enough tension the main tension bars may be able to hit the pin hard when turning. Cannot see anything else that would bent them.

CliffP

I had to turn pretty sharp at the gas station on the way there but pins came out easily when I unhooked. Coming home I do have to turn about 45 degrees when I back up the driveway. That's the only place that makes sense to me. The drive is about 100 yards but only two slight turns. There wasn't any other obvious sharp turns. The bolts holding the brackets A-frame are tight. So far I'm planning to pick up a couple of spares and will try to use these for now.

CliffP

I'm into my third year with equil-i-zer and have not seen any bend with the hitch pins. If your not adjusted correctly and there isn't enough tension the main tension bars may be able to hit the pin hard when turning. Cannot see anything else that would bent them.

We are using a different truck while ours is being serviced. Same model so didn't think about adjustment. That would make sense. Going camping tomorrow, will check on it in the morning before we take off.

olyfire

When I changed trailers I had the dealer do the truck and trailer measurements. The bracket that the hitch pins go into had to be changed in height by two hole to make it correct. So when changing truck or trailer it's a good idea to check for correct installation.