Estes Park to Buena Vista?

NHCelt

Towing the Bighorn from Estes Park to Buenea Vista. Whats the best route considering our height and towing weight?

Gary521

Just how adventurist are you? We could send you over Trail Ridge to Grand Lake and onward or a saner route back thru Boulder and down to US 285.

Jim_G

If you take the I 25 route just be sure to miss the rush hour traffic. Generally after 9:00 in the mornings is the best.

Gary521

OK the less adventurist route. From Estes Park, take US 36 back to Lyons then continue on to Boulder. From Boulder, take route 93 to Golden. From Golden, take US 6 for a short way to 470 to US 285. US 285 to Buena Vista

NHCelt

OK the less adventurist route. From Estes Park, take US 36 back to Lyons then continue on to Boulder. From Boulder, take route 93 to Golden. From Golden, take US 6 for a short way to 470 to US 285. US 285 to Buena Vista

LESS adventurist probably better...the initial plan was 36 to 7 to 72 to 119 to 6 to 70 to 91 to 24...thoughts on that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary521

Route 72 is a bit tight and curvy but you can do it. It is called Coal Creek Canyon Road. 119 takes you thru Blackhawk where you can gamble if you can find a place to park. 91 cuts off I-70 at a ski area called Copper Mountain. This route takes you thru the old mining town of Leadville where Molly Brown made her fortune. This route is a little longer that the route I suggested but you will enjoy the scenery.

US 6 goes thru what is called Clear Creek Canyon. It is very pretty. I-70 goes thru Georgetown which is a very neat old mountain town. As you pass thru the Eisenhower tunnel on the Great Divide, you will hit a very long grade all the way down to Silverthorne.

edit> Just past Georgetown, I-70 starts to go up a grade. It is hard to see going this direction but there is an old narrow gauge railroad that runs in the valley. Suddenly you will go thru the tiny town of Silver Plume. Just past Silver Plume is a freak overpass that you would probably never notice. The strange thing is that there is not a road on either side of the overpass. It is a bridge to nowhere.

edit: messed up in my old age. Route 7 is called Peal to Peak Highway and will connect to 119 in small town of Nederland. Forget the Coal Creek Canyon stuff. That's past Nederland and you will not go that way.

Last edited: