EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: WA, Deer Park - 7/25/2014 to 7/27/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenglish

Bob & Kim, we will be bringing our 4 Goldens (all show dogs) to the event so Daisy will have someone to play with.

Rodbuster

Good evening Rod,

We would like to be included in your wine tasting event.
I've been saving a bottle of "Two Buck Chuck" for something special. This stuff will certainly raise the bar....just hope there's enough to go around. Dick

WINE TASTING EVENT: We have a new event added to the schedule. We have added a wine tasting at 7:00pm (or shortly thereafter if the potluck has not yet ended) on Saturday evening. This will be a blind wine tasting event and the winner of the best white wine and the best red wine will get a prize. To participate in this, each person brings a bottle of their favorite wine to site 25 by 4:30 pm Saturday and we will label them and bring them to the event later that evening. Everyone participating will also need to bring along your own wine glass. The wines will be judged by all those who participate in this event. Kelly and I will provide some cheese, crackers and other snacks to help the experience along with the prizes. Please let Kelly and I know if you are interested and will be joining us for this, so we know how much snacks to get.

Participants:
Rod and Kelly Ditrich
Mark Carlson
Carlos and Kindra Benavidez
Jeff and Wendy Gerbing
Bruce and Carol McLaughlin

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Sounds like Kona will have lots of playmates! She likes to play chase. Now she will have some dogs who can keep up with her.

Kristy

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
The event is growing! Sounds like it is gonna be a fun one.

WINE TASTING EVENT: We have a new event added to the schedule. We have added a wine tasting at 7:00pm (or shortly thereafter if the potluck has not yet ended) on Saturday evening. This will be a blind wine tasting event and the winner of the best white wine and the best red wine will get a prize. To participate in this, each person brings a bottle of their favorite wine to site 25 by 4:30 pm Saturday and we will label them and bring them to the event later that evening. Everyone participating will also need to bring along your own wine glass. The wines will be judged by all those who participate in this event. Kelly and I will provide some cheese, crackers and other snacks to help the experience along with the prizes. Please let Kelly and I know if you are interested and will be joining us for this, so we know how much snacks to get.

Participants:
Rod and Kelly Ditrich
Mark Carlson
Jeff and Wendy Gerbing
Bob and Kim Walter
Pat and David Hole
Tom and Marla English
Dick and Fran Bernard

Rod and Kelly, count Tom & Marla English in for the Wine tasting!!!

Good evening Rod,

We would like to be included in your wine tasting event.
I've been saving a bottle of "Two Buck Chuck" for something special. This stuff will certainly raise the bar....just hope there's enough to go around. Dick

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
Rod, please count Doug and Doris in for the wine tasting! Doris is the "wino", but I like the "brown wines"...you know, Makers Mark, Jack, Pendleton...etc. Hey, maybe we should have a blind Bourbon tasting too?! (Kinda kidding)

Looks like there are LOTS of wine folks...we should definitely include a stop into Maryhill Vineyards. They have several terrific wines and one in particular that even I like!!! (Most of the time, it all just tastes like sour grapes to me)

Can't wait to head out next week for the Oregon Rally and then on to Spokane! Wohoo!!

For20hunter

Got it Doug and Doris

Participants:
Rod and Kelly Ditrich
Mark Carlson
Jeff and Wendy Gerbing
Bob and Kim Walter
Pat and David HoleTom and Marla English
Dick and Fran Bernard
Doug and Doris Anderson

Rod, please count Doug and Doris in for the wine tasting! Doris is the "wino", but I like the "brown wines"...you know, Makers Mark, Jack, Pendleton...etc. Hey, maybe we should have a blind Bourbon tasting too?! (Kinda kidding)

Looks like there are LOTS of wine folks...we should definitely include a stop into Maryhill Vineyards. They have several terrific wines and one in particular that even I like!!! (Most of the time, it all just tastes like sour grapes to me)

Can't wait to head out next week for the Oregon Rally and then on to Spokane! Wohoo!!

For20hunter

Here is a travel update through Spokane that Judy and Tom Meyers sent to me.

A couple weeks ago, I had a conversation with WSDOT/Public Information in Spokane. Since there will be a caravan of RVs heading up to Deer Park, he suggests that you use the same alternate route as semi trucks since this bypasses neighborhoods (and most of the downtown area) and takes away any doubts about any clearance concerns for some of the higher profile rigs:

• Take Exit 283B (Freya Street) off I-90.
  • Freya is a main road that changes names as it heads north; ie, Freya St. -> N. Greene St. -> N. Market St.
  • Turn left onto Francis Avenue (estimate Francis is 2-1/2 to 3 miles north after taking Exit 283B); and head west on Francis to 395/2/Division Street.
  • Francis intersects 395/2/Division Street. Follow signs north (right) to Deer Park and follow the instructions from there that you already have to Spokane RV Resort.

Also, as you know, 395/Division Street from that point on does not have near the traffic as you have if you go the other way because you are bypassing the lights and congestion of the busy downtown area.

After talking to WSDOT, Tom and I are going to take the 283B Exit route this year instead of Maple Street.

One last thing. The person I spoke with says that the posted minimum height on the railroad viaduct off I-90 to 395/2/Division Street is 13'3" at the outside arch; maximum 13'6"-13'10" as the arch curves up; so, it is very important for everyone to know the exact height of his/her rig at it's highest
point. This is just an FYI for anyone who plans to take the Division Street Exit. Gosh, I think most everyone knows this ... but just passing along the message.

SAFE TRAVELS ALL! See you soon!

Rod

shovelguy

I am sad to say we will not be able to attend this rally. Dean fell down the steps inside our rig and broke two toes on his left foot. He is going to have surgery as soon as we get back from taking care of my elderly mother the next two weeks. The surgeon said he could not put it off any longer than that. We are really bummed about this. Let me know where to send our money for the t-shirt. So sorry but it is what it is. J

Last edited:

Manzan

Grampa Fish, I am partial to Single Malt Scotch and those tastings are fun if a bit more expensive. I hosted one and the three or four single malts I planned on grew to seven. I even invited designated drivers and we all had a good time.

Carol and I are looking forward to meeting all of you soon. We're travelling from SW Montana to crash the party. If it turns out you like us, that's all good. If you don't, blame the Kramers. They're the ones who turned us on to this adventure. See you all on July 23rd.

For20hunter

Doug and Carol,

We are all looking forward to it. I hope your time in Montana was great. Hopefully you got to check out glacier and Yellowstone. Those are two of the most beautiful places on earth!!

Rod Ditrich

For20hunter

LESS THAN 2 WEEKS TO GO! Kelly and I are getting excited and have been looking for a couple of things to do for those of us that are hanging around the area after the rally for a few days. Here is a list of a few things we found that looked interesting and fun.

• July 27th (Sunday) 12pm - Summertime Show and Shine Car Show 1115 N. Government Way, Spokane, WA 98224 - Free
  • July 27th (Sunday) 5:30pm till sunset - Arbor Crest Concerts on the Cliff (wine tasting, live music and great food from Beacon Hill Bistro)- Arbor Crest Wine Cellars 4705 N. Fruit Hill Rd, Spokane, WA 992217 - $8.00 tickets
  • July 28th, 29th and 30th at 6:30pm Spokane Indians baseball game (AAA baseball) - Avista Stadium 404 N Havana St, Spokane, WA 98202 - $5.00-$11.00 tickets

Spokane is an area rich with things to do so get out and explore. Riverside State Park has some beautiful and scenic bike and hike trails and the Spokane Falls downtown Spokane at the Riverfront Park is also an amazing place to go walk around and see the sites.

For20hunter

Got it! Sorry about that, I added it in a couple of posts but it got left out of the last one. Here is the latest list. Anyone interested that is not on this list, please let me know.

for those of you joining us before the Rally at Maryhill, they have an AWESOME winery (hint, hint) :rolleyes:

Wine tasting Participants:
Rod and Kelly Ditrich
Mark Carlson
Jeff and Wendy Gerbing
Bob and Kim Walter
Pat and David Hole
Tom and Marla English
Dick and Fran Bernard
Doris Anderson

Rod Ditrich

Last edited:

SeattleLion

Should we plan what to bring for the pot luck? I've been to some where there were all deserts. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.