EVENT: Heartland Multi-Chapter Rally: SC, Hilton Head Island - 4/20/2012 to 4/22/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsSouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Re: EVENT: Heartland Multi-Chapter Rally: SC & NC, Hilton Head Island SC - 4/20/2012 to 4/22/2012

Jim and Harriet,
I thought y'all had already confirmed but glad that you are now.
As far as Sam' white elephant this might be a good time to 'splain the rules...
To Everyone attending-
First, Sam is my wife (Samantha) and she has this game called "white elephant."
Every one needs to bring a wrapped or bagged gift. PLEASE, do NOT go out buy anything. Pick something laying around your trailer or house. The more useless this item the better!!!! One gift per person. Each person will have a ticket with a number. When your ticket is drawn, you get to pick a gift from the "big pile" OR you can steal a gift that someone had previously picked. A gift can be "stolen" twice. If your gift is stolen, then you get to pick another from the "big pile".
The game goes on until all the gifts have been picked or stolen. What is really cool is watching how some useless item that you just wanted to get rid of becomes a prize possession to some else.
There might even be a gift or two that isn't so useless mixed up in the "big pile".
I have no idea why it is called a "White elephant" or why the gifts are in a "big pile". (Ok, Lance, no comments here please :eek:)
One little thing that happens for some unknown reason and can not be explained. Sometimes, overnight when it is very still and everyone has gone to sleep, some of these gifts end up under other people's trailers. Strange phenomenon I know-but it happens.:eek:

Thought I would post about the White Elephant Game! And give a brief history....
the game: Bring something you have either in your camper or home that is of absolute NO VALUE (yard sale quality!)!!! Wrap it in paper towels, toilet paper (for those that have abundance), paper bag, wal-mart bag, or wrap it pretty! Value is usually not more than $10.
All "gifts" will be put into the "big pile" and everyone will get a ticket with a number... as your number comes up - you either choose from the unwrapped "big pile" or steal from someone else (total of 2 steals is permitted - then it is YOURS!) Until all "gifts" are gone..... It's a lot of fun and I hope everyone enjoys this game....Now

to the history:

According to Wikipedia a white elephant is an item that is either useless, unwieldly, or expensive to maintain or otherwise not worth the expense of keeping. The term origionally derived from the sacred East Asian white elephant; a holy animal that could not be abandoned or mistreated. Since an elephant was and is quite expensive to keep, one which can be of no use to it's owner is quite a financial catastrophe! Often a noble or king who was displeased with a lesser noble in Thailand would gift them with a white elephant...a superficial symbol of status wealth and luck that would lead the lesser noble into bankruptcy and ruin.
So clearly a "white elephant" is something to be wary of, as it is intended to be useless, whether you are in a noble's position or at a Heartland Rally!
Now that the rules are here, please DO NOT go out and buy ANYTHING! find something you have that is the most useless item just hanging around and you could not even sell at a yard sale :rolleyes: and bring it! We will have fun!

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Re: EVENT: Heartland Multi-Chapter Rally: SC & NC, Hilton Head Island SC - 4/20/2012 to 4/22/2012

Samantha, Santha is thinking about a white elephant at our rally. We really enjoyed it at Willow Tree. You and Larry could
join us and handle the white elephant or I will have Santha call you. Randy, Santha and the Poodles

ncc1701e

Don't remember ever spelling the word YOU with an I? Did the post not say how YOU have improved the recipe?

Dick

Dick,

A question about FL if you don't mind. When we leave this rally we're headed over to the AL rally at Gulf Shores. I'm thinking of stopping en-route for a couple days in Northern Florida. You happen to have any suggestions of places to consider or to stay away from. I was looking at going down to Jacksonville and east of I10 as far as a route. But that is not set in stone. I think Millie would like to visit Panama City. I haven't been there since stationed there in 1969 with UASF.

I've noticed several of your post for different events in 2012. You guys are going to be busy travelers it looks like. Hope to see you at a couple of the stops.

Tom & Millie

davebennington

Tom,

We stayed at a nice campground on the way down to the RV show in Tampa, it was in Jasper, FL called Gateway RV park. It is just off I-75, the road into it was dirt but once you get there it is a really nice place. They are a Passport America campground. We met the owner while there, friendly and helpful.

d.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
How will I ever know how good yours are if I never get to taste some YOU prepared peppers :angel:. He asked!

I don't know about all this "I" & "YOU" stuff......

BUT I'm thinking about ME, and the "YOU" & the "I", probably should BOTH make the peppers for ALL the rest of US!!

Just saaaaaayin!! :cool:

Dick, I did get to sample/steal a few of Larry's peppers and "I" sure did enjoy your protege's recipe at our New Years camp out......several times :rolleyes:

Lance

hillsonwheels

Larry,

Could it be that there's a new YOU in the body of an admitted thief named Lance????? :eek: Maybe the penalty for theft is the new YOU gets to follow the "receipt" and do up some peppers for the rest of us to give the ole taste test! As he said....."
I'm just saaaaying!" :rolleyes: We don't even need a quorum to decide this do we? :cool:

Dick

lduguay

Larry,

Could it be that there's a new YOU in the body of an admitted thief named Lance????? :eek: Maybe the penalty for theft is the new YOU gets to follow the "receipt" and do up some peppers for the rest of us to give the ole taste test! As he said....."
I'm just saaaaying!" :rolleyes: We don't even need a quorum to decide this do we? :cool:

Dick

Oh noooooooo!!!!, you don't want me cooking......I BURN water!!!!!:eek:

However, I am a qualified "Taste Tester" as my Boyish Figure demonstrates!!:rolleyes:

hillsonwheels

And, as I recollect and it can be seen in the posts.................there was an I in those posts that is also known as.............TADA............LARRY!!!!!!!!!! I rest my case. :D

Dick

hillsonwheels

Tom,

Didn't respond to your question about I-10 routing and campgrounds because I didn't want to get "hot peppers?" all over the post to you. I can't really say much about any particular CG because most of our trips have been on the east coast and south of Lady Lake. There are two in the Tallahassee area that I know about. We helped some Class A friends set up a rally at Big Oak and it is really a nice park from a visitor's viewpoint. The other, Tallahassee RV Park, is east of town close to where we lived while in Tallahassee. It has grown considerably since we left the area. In Trailer Life it looks like a good one. I do know that the guy who built it up also has an old car (and more) museum nearby that is worth the price of admission.

Have heard that there is a Yogi Bear CG near Madison that is ok.

If you have the time and wanted to drop off I-10 down to Hwy 98, I'm sure Carabelle, Panama City Beach, Navarre and Perdido Key would be worth looking into. If nothing else just to see the colors of the Gulf and the powdery white sand.

Wish I had more to add. 'Spect someone else will chime in with favorites in the I-10 corridor.

Dick

SouthernNights

Samantha, Santha is thinking about a white elephant at our rally. We really enjoyed it at Willow Tree. You and Larry could
join us and handle the white elephant or I will have Santha call you. Randy, Santha and the Poodles

Randy, I will tell Sam but I think we will be up north during that time. If we arent, you can be sure we will be in Ga.

mntnman

Past Chapter Leader, SC and KY

Larry, Sam & Terry, Renee, it was great that you to spend the day in HHI with us. It was good to work out some of the details for the rally. Just glad the weather was nice today 77 in January that is hard to beat.

SouthernNights

Had a great day with Terry and Renee at Dale and Michelle's Lot at Hilton Head.
Here are a few shots of beautiful Hilton head Resort
IMAG0371.jpgIMAG0369.jpgIMAG0368.jpg IMAG0372.jpg
FYI: the attendance list located on post #1 has been updated and is accurate as of 1/21/12.

We are going to be limiting the attendees to this rally to 25 trailers.
If you have not signed up for this rally but have plans on coming, please call Sarina soon and then post on this thread that you have made your reservations. This is a beautiful venue with lots to do (or not). Very easy to get to from I-95. Remember-YOU get to pick your site on arrival. The Resort will not be assigning sites over the phone. There are a few sites that back up to the ICW!!

I would also like to remind everyone attending that we will be helping the Bluffton Self Help organization with our donations. A donation list of needed items and their website can be found on post #1. This is not a perpetual help center but rather a one time help organization for people who have had a rough time during this economy. It would be great to show them that Heartlanders care.

These items will be picked up from your trailer during the day on Saturday. If you do not intend on being at trailer during the day, please leave them by your trailer steps with a note that says Bluffton on them. In case of bad weather, we will make other arrangements as needed.

Attached is the Itinerary that is also posted on post #1

See you there!!

Attachments

• South Carolina Hilton Head Rall1.pdf
    27.7 KB · Views: 18

trdeal

Larry, Sam & Terry, Renee, it was great that you to spend the day in HHI with us. It was good to work out some of the details for the rally. Just glad the weather was nice today 77 in January that is hard to beat.
Dale,Thanks to you and Michelle for taking time out of your day to meet us there and for all you guys have done in the planning of the activities for the rally.It was a great day and a great cg. Thanks also to Larry and Samanatha for allowing Renee and I to spend Friday night in their new LM in there back yard and for hauling us around on Saturday. We had a great time with some great people. We got back home around 9:30 last night. Thanks again.

SouthernNights

One more thing:

On the itinerary we will be having a Heartland owner's Club sponsored breakfast of Pancakes and Sausage on Saturday morning.
We will also have a Master Egg Chef-aka Dale Heuer- cooking eggs to order!!!
So if you like eggs over easy, scrambled, fried or an omelet-Dale is the man to see!!!:D

There are some minor changes that will be made to the itinerary and as soon as I figure out how to post the revised PDF I will get it on here. The changes are just in time scheduling. Also listed on the new and improved Itinerary are the locations of each event.

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader

EGG-CELLENT Dale!

One more thing:

On the itinerary we will be having a Heartland owner's Club sponsored breakfast of Pancakes and Sausage on Saturday morning.
We will also have a Master Egg Chef-aka Dale Heuer- cooking eggs to order!!!
So if you like eggs over easy, scrambled, fried or an omelet-Dale is the man to see!!!:D

There are some minor changes that will be made to the itinerary and as soon as I figure out how to post the revised PDF I will get it on here. The changes are just in time scheduling. Also listed on the new and improved Itinerary are the locations of each event.

brauch

Camping Wife

Reservations made today. Will arrive 4/18, staying until 4/23 (maybe longer??)
Ed may want to spend more time fishing !!!

SouthernNights

Reservations made today. Will arrive 4/18, staying until 4/23 (maybe longer??)
Ed may want to spend more time fishing !!!

I bett once you get here you will want to stay for a month. Don't forget to tell Ed to make his reservations for fishing directly with Live Oac. ( I know that is not how you spell Oak-but that's the way they do. :D)

Happy y'all will be there. It just wouldn't be right with out Pokie and Nicky there.

Status
Not open for further replies.