EVENT: Heartland Regional Rally: OR, Canyonville - 9/13/2017 to 9/20/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeletti

Jim,

I would take your blue route, which is about 2 hours shorter and a very nice drive. Its a beautiful drive with lots of nice scenery and most of it is 2 lanes each direction or more. We have driven all of the routes and they are all good roads that you can haul our rigs on without a lot of issues.

The trip through the Columbia River Gorge when you drop down to I-84 from Tri-Cities can be a little windy sometimes, but not too bad. If you are looking for a nice place to stay, Boardman RV Park and Marina is a beautiful park to stay in and is literally right off of I-84 not to far from when you get on it.

Rod

Thanks Rod!

jbeletti

Jim,

The blue route is nice, but depending on what you want to do on your way here, I'd recommend a slightly different path.

Bozman to Spokane and then enjoy the Silerwood Theme Park. I have never been, but I've heard it is nice and the RV Resort is also suppose to be nice.
https://www.visitspokane.com/listing/silverwood-theme-park-&-boulder-beach-water-park/10324/

Spokane to Bend.
Now, call NOW for reservations to Crown Villa RV Resort. No question the best RV Resort in Bend. Then enjoy Bend! It is awesome. More breweries than anywhere else. Just a great "downtown" experiance. Plan to stay here 3-4 nights...you will really enjoy it. Here is a link to a video I just created, showing the entrance to Crown Villa. We stayed here for 8 nights...could have done a month EASY! Note...if you need WiFi from the park, get one of the sites closer to the Clubhouse. We were in the pull-through sites and couldn't really use their WiFi, but that is fine, as we have unlimited data on our phones and hotspot.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxEvZw2XQ1MNnRFa09MQ1lhZkk

From Bend, it will be an easy 3.5 hour drive to Canyonville, down Hwy 97 to Hwy 138.

Note...you WILL encounter some smoke along the way. Oregon is in TERRIBLE fire season and there is simply no avoiding it.

The main reason I am recommending you go down Hwy 97 to Bend is to enjoy more of Central Oregon. If you go the other way to Portland and then down I-5, it is really boring...just a long freeway.

Look forward to meeting you.

Thanks Jim! We have no plans to stop along the way except for our overnights., so probably won't take the Bend route. Appreciate the feedback.

Oregon_Camper

Billiam

Bill - thank you for the feedback. Where are you staying in Kennewick? While I have no reservations for our 3 nights of travel, Kennewick is one of my "planned" stops.

View attachment 54367

Jim,

We are staying at Columbia Sun RV Resort. A very nice park. Here is phone number 509-420-4880. You should have no trouble making reservations here because there seems to be openings every night.

Bill

jbeletti

Jim,

We are staying at Columbia Sun RV Resort. A very nice park. Here is phone number 509-420-4880. You should have no trouble making reservations here because there seems to be openings every night.

Bill

Funny you mention that. I've already backed up from Boardman to smooth out the daily mileage a bit and selected Columbia Sun RV Resort as it fit the mileage I wanted and has an amazing score on RVParkReviews.com.

Not making reservations anywhere just yet - still tweaking the plan :)

Google ChromeScreenSnapz358.jpg

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Jim,

Bill

Columbia Sun is a GREAT park!!! Anytime we stay in that area, that is where we stay. It is very well maintained and the staff there are so friendly and accommodating!

Rod

G_S

Jim,

The blue route is nice, but depending on what you want to do on your way here, I'd recommend a slightly different path.

Bozman to Spokane and then enjoy the Silerwood Theme Park. I have never been, but I've heard it is nice and the RV Resort is also suppose to be nice.
https://www.visitspokane.com/listing/silverwood-theme-park-&-boulder-beach-water-park/10324/

Spokane to Bend.
Now, call NOW for reservations to Crown Villa RV Resort. No question the best RV Resort in Bend. Then enjoy Bend! It is awesome. More breweries than anywhere else. Just a great "downtown" experiance. Plan to stay here 3-4 nights...you will really enjoy it. Here is a link to a video I just created, showing the entrance to Crown Villa. We stayed here for 8 nights...could have done a month EASY! Note...if you need WiFi from the park, get one of the sites closer to the Clubhouse. We were in the pull-through sites and couldn't really use their WiFi, but that is fine, as we have unlimited data on our phones and hotspot.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxEvZw2XQ1MNnRFa09MQ1lhZkk

From Bend, it will be an easy 3.5 hour drive to Canyonville, down Hwy 97 to Hwy 138.

Note...you WILL encounter some smoke along the way. Oregon is in TERRIBLE fire season and there is simply no avoiding it.

The main reason I am recommending you go down Hwy 97 to Bend is to enjoy more of Central Oregon. If you go the other way to Portland and then down I-5, it is really boring...just a long freeway.

Look forward to meeting you.

97 will be much more smoky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RottsNScotts

Jim - I am watching your route planning as I will be leaving KY on Wednesday, 9/6, and finally heading home to WA! I am concerned about the routing as well so will be watching to see how it goes for you!

Everyone have a great time!

RVFun4Us

Jim and anyone else traveling I-84. Keep in mind they had a terrible fire along the gorge close to Portland. Right now, I-84 is closed in both directions from milepost 17-62. They are looking at the best time to reopen when the fire is not a threat. So if you are traveling that way, you may have to take a detour to the Washington side via Bridge of the Gods in Cascade Locks or on the Oregon side via Highway 35 out of Hood River to Highway 26. Oregon Trip Check is a good site to look at when traveling Oregon highways (www.tripcheck.com) or you can download to your mobile device also. Everyone travel safely and see you in Canyonville.

Oregon_Camper

Jim and anyone else traveling I-84. Keep in mind they had a terrible fire along the gorge close to Portland. Right now, I-84 is closed in both directions from milepost 17-62. They are looking at the best time to reopen when the fire is not a threat. So if you are traveling that way, you may have to take a detour to the Washington side via Bridge of the Gods in Cascade Locks or on the Oregon side via Highway 35 out of Hood River to Highway 26. Oregon Trip Check is a good site to look at when traveling Oregon highways (www.tripcheck.com) or you can download to your mobile device also. Everyone travel safely and see you in Canyonville.

Agree...

Here is a snapshot from Google Maps, showing the closure. Not sure when folks had plans to use I-84, but you need to make alternate plans for the near future. I'd recommend Highway 97 to Highway 58 to Eugene to Highway 138 to Roseburg (both will drop you out at I-5)

Capture.jpg

jbeletti

Jim and Bob - thanks for the updates.

It looks like 14 is open. Wondering if that's a decent route to get from Hood River to Portland, then 205 to 84 to 5 and down to Salem.

Google ChromeScreenSnapz362.jpg

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
14 has some narrow tunnels. All of our rigs can fit through them, but it is tight.

Rod

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Oregon_Camper

Jim....

1 - Low Tunnels
2 - Only one lane each way
3 - Rolls through small towns
4 - Worst of all...with I-84 closed (Freeway) a LOT of folks will be using that, which I think will result in some major traffic.

jbeletti

What about 97 south from 84 at Biggs Junction, down to 20 to 126 then west to Eugene?

Unsure what 126 is like going through Willamette National Forest.

Google ChromeScreenSnapz363.jpg

Google ChromeScreenSnapz364.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.