EVENT: North American Heartland Rally: WY, Gillette - 6/14/2012 to 6/17/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Night before last, here in Colorado, we had to pull all the slides in, the wind from the passing storm was intense. South of us, on the SE side of Denver, they had a tornado touch down and about and inch and a half of hail...really glad it didn't come here!! Really looking forward to cooler weather in Gillette.

wdk450

Friday we had steady strong winds here at CamPlex. Saturday, we had winds during the day, and thunderstorms with lightning, wind, rain and pea sized hail. Wind again this morning.
And oh, we have some sort of large moths that get inside and are resistant to Raid spray. I finally sucked them up in the vaccuum cleaner.

Last edited:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Weird! we'll bring some Colorado moths with us...we are having the EXACT same issue here...what the heck is in these storms??? LOL

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Millers....they're everywhere.

Peace
Dave

We've killed about ten inside the rig in two days. There were about ten more under a bike bag that was on the ground in front of the BH.
I think they're lawn armyworm moths. Trace

jbeletti

Time for a pre-rally update. Sorry, I failed to post about yesterday's events. We had a few arrivals - not many. The Heartland Show Trailer arrived with parts for the service repairs along with a small advance team.

We had a largely attended potluck dinner. Probably the windiest any of us have had. But it was great. Thank you to Al and Donna Larson for providing the hamburgers and corn on the cob. We had tons of great side dishes too.

Today (Sunday) was a big arrivals day. Around 23 arrivals I believe. As of now, we're at 52 rigs checked in. Not bad for Sunday - 4 days before the official rally start date.

I saw a lot of small gatherings by attendee RVs today and tonight. It was great seeing people getting out there and meeting each other and giving hand shakes and hugs to their friends.

The Larsons, Nichols and Padavanos had a Happy Hour behind our RV, between theirs tonight. Great time. Then a bunch of them decided to go to Apple Bees for dinner. We went along. I think 14 of us went out.

The Service Team's chartered bus arrived today. Jim Fenner came out, found his golf cart and took in the lay of the land here at the campground. A few of the attendees that know Jim, um, decorated his golf cart today. Looked like it was a mardi Gras float :) Not sure what Jim thought of that as he was inside an attendee's coach when I went by his cart.

Looking forward to tomorrow. A number of attendees will be arriving again. Service starts. We meet with our caterer to do a walk through. And a good number of us are going to Perkin's at 9am for breakfast. If you're at the rally now and missed my Perkins thread, feel free to join us at Perkins at 9am. Go west on Boxelder to 59, then left (south). Not far down on your left, before Walmart).

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
The temps are suppose to be in the 70's & 80's the whole week with sun... Just hope that the wind dies down

wdk450

I had occasion to talk to some locals about the moths (while taking my truck in for transmission overhaul). They said:
1.They are a bi-annual seasonal event here. We just happen to be here at the right time.
2. They can squeeze through small cracks as thin as a credit card.
3. Put a pie plate with water and dish detergent under a light all night to attract and drown them. The light on my computer desk should do. Otherwise I have been using my stick vacuum cleaner to suck them up.

Are there any group evening meal plans tonight??? (not including moth entrees)

wdk450

To All Gillette Rally Attendees:

I was thinking the weather would be windy again, precluding outdoor group events tonight. Well, the wind has died down, but there seem to be no group events tonight. Therefore I am proposing a SMALL group movie night IN MY BIGHORN LIVING ROOM. I counted seating for 10 so far in my living room area. There is more floorspace for more seats. Maybe we can settle the age old question of "How many people can you fit in a Bighorn?"

The movie: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, starring the Bee Gees, George Burns and Steve Martin, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Billy Preston, and Earth,Wind & Fire.

The movie is centered around the mythical small town of HEARTLAND. Consumption of adult beverages and singing of all the Beatles tunes is encouraged. Microwave popcorn will be on hand.

Showtime: 7 P.M.

Place: Space D-80

916-288-8043 Cell

jbeletti

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the tip on the moths.

No group meal outings that I am aware of. So, meet your neighbors and make some plans :)

jbeletti

Big pre-rally day here in Gillette today.

Twenty of us went out for breakfast this morning. Fun time!

Then the service team got started working on coaches. I spoke to a lot of people and got great reports on the service team.

Several of the show coaches from Stalkups RV showed up today. The rest will show up tomorrow and get all setup for us to go into by Wednesday morning.

We met with our caterer this morning and did a run through of our catering events. Great people.

I spent a lot of time running around the campground this afternoon, saying hello and visiting with attendees. Love to do that and have to do it while I still have time. got to say hi to a lot of people I already know and meet a lot of people for the first time.

There were many small gatherings at RVs this evening before and after dinner. It was great to see everyone getting together. I spent some time where the service team had gathered after work for refreshments and mingling with attendees here at the campground. What a great group of guys and gals that traveled here from Elkhart to take care of us.

The check-in and service teams were really busy today. We had around 20 rigs arrive today. We've hit the 50% mark!

Status
Not open for further replies.