Excessive electrical useage

icechex

Recently arrived at RV Park in Texas, and am using average 55 KW per 24 hour period. At 16 cents per killowat my monthly electric bill will be around $300!

What could be wrong here?

We are running basically one AC and it cycles off day/night.

Any ideas?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Maybe a meter problem?
I just got my bill from Texas Utilities for month ending May 17th and we used 37 kwh per day for a 2600 square foot house and we are not the best at conserving electricity (we like the house cool, run A/C a lot). We are also paying 8.9 cents per kwh.
Let us know what you find out.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
icechex... I'm not sure about Texas RV Parks, but some states (and I'm thinking Texas is one of them) do not allow RV Parks to make money (raise kwh cost) off of utilities. You might look into it and ask them to show proof of kwh cost, and if not maybe question them about why they are charging such a high rate. Maybe they need to review their cost and change vendors or programs. Or you might just have to shop around for a RV Park that charges a lower rate. My guess is the meter is off. (and they charge too much!)

icechex

Thanks for the info.... I'm still trying to figure out the high usage. I'm afraid it's something to do with the "New" RV. Incredible usage going on compared to previous experience (in my old RV).

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Try turning everything off at the breakers inside the rig and look at the meter on the pedestal. If it's still running, something's wrong. If you've been running your air conditioner on low fan setting, it may have iced up. It will run itself to death trying to cool the rig and not be very efficient. So climb up there and take a look at that, as well. If you see a glacier inside the cover, you may have found the problem.

guyc66

Last month our two a/c units ran a lot down here in South GA and we still only averaged 26 kwh a day. I think your meter may have issues.

icechex

John

Thanks, but I tried turning everything off and the meter 'did' quit spinning. As for the AC's they are both running clean, and pulling correct voltage/amps. I'm at my wit's end .... can't figure this out. Only thing I know to do is contact factory and hope they have a clue. One thing for sure - I don't believe I'm the only Heartland owner to have this problem, although 'some' may of not had it ....yet. Thanks for the reply. The RV owners have said they will change out meter - but - based on my own experience in the Air Conditioning field (40+ years) I doubt if the meter is bad. Can't remember ever changing one, although there's always the exception - so - I'm going to have them put a new one in - just to cover all the bases.

danemayer

Ok, I'm not an electrican, but let me pretend for a minute that I am.

Let's assume the A/C was running flat out as hard as it can 24 hours/day. That's 15amps * 120 V = 1800 watts * 24 hours = 43.2 KWH per day. It can't draw more than that or it would trip the circuit breaker.

Your power converter is pulling several amps round the clock to run 12V systems and keep the battery charged. Let's assume 14KWH.

That would get you into the 55 KWH territory. But your A/C should not be running continuously, so it can't be drawing anywhere near 43.2 KWH.

I second the suggestion to shut everything off and see if the meter is still running, showing other loads. The turn on everything except the A/C unit and watch for a while to see what's going on. Finally, turn on the A/C.

vangoes

Don't forget the other two kwh hogs.......the water heater and the refrig. Try isolating them by running on propane for a day and check kwh usage.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you had a surge suppressor with a display, you could tell how much each device is pulling and on which line. The hardwired Progressive unit is good for that. Another power savings is to covert all of the 12v bulbs to LED's. Less draw on the battery and the converter.

ParkIt

If there is a leeching problem with the unit you'd want to figure it out pretty quick, not so much for the use but more important is making sure you don't get 'trailer shock' from the unit itself.
Do you have the side by side refer and outdoor kitchen? If so check what they are pulling, it might be enough to put you over the top.

wdk450

If you come from an air conditioning backround do you have a clamp on ammeter you could double check the Wattmeter against?

FARMER45

Rv parks are on a commercial rate which is much higher that a house rate and they also have a demand meters that also increases the rate. I know this because I am in the process of putting in a park for long term parking ( oil field workers). We have a rate of 19 cent per kwh, also it's a electric company that has not deregulated , so I can not switch to a better rate
i hope it is a bad meter

Gaffer

I think he said he had 2 AC units.

Ok, I'm not an electrican, but let me pretend for a minute that I am.

Let's assume the A/C was running flat out as hard as it can 24 hours/day. That's 15amps * 120 V = 1800 watts * 24 hours = 43.2 KWH per day. It can't draw more than that or it would trip the circuit breaker.

Your power converter is pulling several amps round the clock to run 12V systems and keep the battery charged. Let's assume 14KWH.

That would get you into the 55 KWH territory. But your A/C should not be running continuously, so it can't be drawing anywhere near 43.2 KWH.

I second the suggestion to shut everything off and see if the meter is still running, showing other loads. The turn on everything except the A/C unit and watch for a while to see what's going on. Finally, turn on the A/C.