Exterior letting loose

Shirkster

As far as the water heater goes, if the previous owners would have at least tried it out, it would have been replaced under warranty. But not 5 years after the fact. Yes the caulking looks like it dried out and the previous owners had it get rained on once or twice and then put it back in storage. Causing the delam. And if it did not have caulking on it when they bought it, it would have been fixed under warranty. Looks like you bought a used RV that had some unseen damage to it. Fix it up and have some fun. Or trade it in on a new Heartland and they will fix everything you do find that is wrong with it. They are very good at making good on warranty work.
Thanks for your input. Yes warranty work must surely would have been done if they got the camper out and used it..I believe it was an impulse buy on their part. We are fixing it, but we would never trade on another Heartland.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Fix it up and have some fun.

Or trade it in on a new Heartland and they will fix everything you do find that is wrong with it.

They are very good at making good on warranty work.

At least as good as the dealership is good at fixing warranty items.

We are dealing with that right now (trying to get our dealership to fix warranty items/issues).

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm still confused how a little delam pre-sale ended up being delam at every cut out?

I do know there are some other ER owners that had some issues with water intrusion on roof near the back cap, that ultimately caused some extensive repairs to the rear cap. Failed caulking can let in water and cause damage pretty quickly.

If the caulking wasn't there to begin with and the original owners never maintained it in 5 years, it could easily have let water into places, then done its damage over time.

Is HL responsible for caulking? Well, yes I expect my new coach to be caulked properly. But I also have a PDI and 3 mo after purchase to have caulking addressed under warranty, and then it becomes a maintenance item and my responsibility (as noted in the manual.)

So some of the blame has to fall on the original dealer (for not catching and fixing before the sale) and the original owner (for not doing a thorough PDI and subsequently maintaining it properly.)

It was neglected... Not used, not maintained. Anything neglected for 5 years will not be the condition it was new.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

HL may offer some assistance if they know they had a defective lamination process in wall panels from the time period of construction, but I would not hold my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

There were a few spots showing that were coming away from sides, back, as I said, everywhere something was cut out, lights, etc. caulking was very poorly done on one side of camper, from factory, other side well done, although my husband recaulked entire trailer. This trailer was built in 2010, the year of Elkhart Ind rv sales diminished with the economy. We are wondering if this trailer was actually started before that date and sat somewhere. All my cabinets are even pre drilled for shock absorbers to hold doors up, but none installed. You have to hold the doors up with your head to put something in cupboard. We were told that was not an Elkridge option ...so we ordered them...then received with no screws and one is a speciality screw. Heartland said they don't supply or sell screws...But back to the sidewalls, my husband is aware of the separation can be due to moisture...and to answer your question as to wondering why...our opinion is poor workmanship in production of this specific rv. There are lemons in all products and unfortunately after 40 years of working, have retired and got caught up in this one. Thanks for your time.

The "shock absorbers to hold doors up" are door struts. You can find them at several RV suppliers on the internet. Here are a few:

$3.25 http://www.rvpartscountry.com/RVCabinetDrawerHardware
Different style and maybe easier to mount package of 6 $8.75. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...net+strut.TRS0&_nkw=rv+cabinet+strut&_sacat=0

With an internet search you will find many more.

Philips or square drive flat head cabinet screws can be purchased at a local hardware store. You want a real aggressive wood thread.