Extra battery

Jmmon416

I apologize if this has been discussed. I looked through some but not all articles and did not see this topic. I currently have a group 24 battery that seems to barely make it through one night. I would like more battery reserve. Can I just wire another battery in parallel with existing battery without making at other changes? If yes, will battery charger charge both batteries. If no, what is the easiest and cheapest solution? I was thinking that I could install a selector switch, but this would mean switching over to other battery to run, and still would need way to charge battery. Thanks

danemayer

Hi Jmmon416,

You'll want two batteries bought at the same time and wired in parallel. Don't mix different age batteries. They'll both charge just fine. No need for switches. If the battery boxes/compartment supports the size, I'd suggest you move up to Group 27, which will also help.

Jmmon416

Danemayer you seem to be pretty active on here and it is much appreciated by me. As a first time Toy hauler owner. I have I stupid question maybe, but can't seem to find the answer. Do I run generator with the hatch open or closed? Does it matter? A couple times my generator has shut down and I got concerned that I am supposed to run with it open. Does it matter? I thought I read somewhere to run with it closed.

danemayer

Danemayer you seem to be pretty active on here and it is much appreciated by me. As a first time Toy hauler owner. I have I stupid question maybe, but can't seem to find the answer. Do I run generator with the hatch open or closed? Does it matter? A couple times my generator has shut down and I got concerned that I am supposed to run with it open. Does it matter? I thought I read somewhere to run with it closed.

One of the Onan manuals says:

CAUTION: Operating the genset with the access cover off can lead to overheating of components.
Always secure the cover after starting the genset.

Jmmon416

I believe this is referencing the access panel on the generator itself and not the hatch. This is my confusion I guess. I never run it without access panel on the generator itself. Just looking for clarity

danemayer

You may be right that it's referencing the generator cover rather than the compartment door. But opening the compartment door may also change the air flow and lead to overheating.

Oregon_Camper

Regarding your battery choice. You can either do 2 6v batteries or 2 12v batteries. Depending on your situation, they both have benefits. We dry camp 80% of the time, so I wanted a system with a lot of amp hours (we have 2 trojan T-1275 batteries, wired to solar)

I've attached two images below. One shows you how to wire two batteries together, and the other is a picture of my 2 batteries in my Bighorn. I replaced the battery box shown in the picture, as they were too small to close the venting lid. Just forget to take pictures of that once I was done. :(

Capture.jpg Capture3.jpg

danemayer

Is there an "off the shelf" battery case that will hold 2 size 27 batteries - width to width.

Hi bhornauer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a great group of helpful people here and I'm guessing someone will be able to point you to a suitable battery case.

DougS

Doug S
"Is there an "off the shelf" battery case that will hold 2 size 27 batteries - width to width."

OK now don't laugh, but I installed a covered tote type box from Walmart made by Ziplock for under $15. This box is made for household goods but I was able to modify the box. The box has a foam seal for the lid and four easy to use hold down latches for checking the water.
This box is slightly bigger then needed but affords plenty of room for extra cables going to my inverter. I found plumbing pipe fittings for vent hose. I used a 1" by board to seperate the batteries and screwed through to hold down the box. I also install a hold down strap for the whole box which is not in the picture. I found on the internet dual boxes but I wasn't willing to spend over $100 that they wanted.
Now I can remove the lid in seconds to check battery water without removing a dozen screws.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 73

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Yes, There are dual battery boxes for Group 27 batteries.

Marine type boxes are sealed and can accomdate a vent line such as found in 5th wheels.
http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=84-1480

Or they can be open vented for locations outside such as found on travel trailers.
http://www.batterymart.com/p-120215-quickcable-dual-27-31-battery-box.html

Commercial ones can be expensive.

I modified a commercially-made container that fit 3 group 31 batteries fit my NT perfectly. You would have thought that the box was made for batteries considering how well they fit.
http://www.homzproducts.com/product/durabilt-15-gallon-tough-tote-2/
4415CMOG-06.jpg