F287 second AC unit

Bkings

Forgive me if this has been covered. I searched and couldn't find the answer. My wife and I just picked up a 2020 fuel 287. I would like to add a second AC unit to help deal with the Texas heat. Does anyone know if this camper is prewired for a second AC unit? I've read that some trailers are set up for a second unit.

Thanks,

B

danemayer

Hi Bkings,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Hopefully another Fuel 287 owner can shed some light on this for you. If not, you can call Heartland Customer Service at (574) 262-8030 or (877) 262-8032. Have your VIN # ready.

I know this is an old thread, but whyyyy heartland. Why only 1 a/c in a unit that’s 35 plus ft long with high ceilings .. ughhhh. Bedroom stays hot when temp is above 80 degrees. We live in S/E Georgia near Jacksonville FL. It’s hot 8/9 months of the year. We full time, traveling around southern U.S. And our 2022 isn’t prewired for a 2nd a/c, and our unit is 30 amp do to 1 a/c. DUMBBBB !!! This is about my only gripe of our toy hauler, but it’s. Big one!!!

centerline

I know this is an old thread, but whyyyy heartland. Why only 1 a/c in a unit that’s 35 plus ft long with high ceilings .. ughhhh. Bedroom stays hot when temp is above 80 degrees. We live in S/E Georgia near Jacksonville FL. It’s hot 8/9 months of the year. We full time, traveling around southern U.S. And our 2022 isn’t prewired for a 2nd a/c, and our unit is 30 amp do to 1 a/c. DUMBBBB !!! This is about my only gripe of our toy hauler, but it’s. Big one!!!
because not everyone lives where its so hot for so long.... and if heartland, or any other brand, were to just keep bolting (questionably useful) stuff on til the tires squatted, no one could afford the RV....

but there are other brands and models that have about everything you desire, so its really a question of, "did you purchase the correct RV for you needs".....

we had one of the weekend warrior toy haulers, and yes, they are voluminous inside and a single AC will not cool as desired when the afternoon sun is baking.

to remedy the situation, I installed a closeable wall vent and got a 12k portable, roll around indoor unit, and it alone cooled the entire rv reasonably well, and when I turned on the roof AC, it would quickly cool down to "too cold"...

Curious as to why you didn't buy a TH with 2 ACs?
Uneducated is my best answer, even though we have full timed for 6 yrs, never had a towable or anything bigger than 29 ft. Or 8 ft ceilings and 102 wide body. Never again, wiring for rig to 50 amp and adding 2nd a/c next weekend. I should have known better being a cert mobile rv tech, was drunk over the huge garage and patio off garage, and actually didn’t realize it only had one a/c fml…. cheers 🍻 🥃

LBR

I did a little digging and found a 2022 Fuel 287 FS. Reading thru it, it lists your 15K ducted AC, and also states prewired for a second AC, just for your FWIW installing your second one.

We factory ordered our 44+' CY with 3 ACs, but we only use 1 of them 5% of the time....so I made the same mistake as you, in a way.

All 3 of our 15K ACs draw 11 amps each after starting, so a 30A service **COULD BE USED MARGINALLY** if all occupants knew how to conserve those extra amps (not many know the tricks to do so..lol). I'm not condoning a second AC on 30A for you....but the wife and I are in the know to make it work. Soft Starts are also very useful.

Thank you, goin call heartland C/S and ask .. I pulled bedroom vent cover and only seen 12v wires Which I believe are for the 12v lights in bedroom.. but will call to verify..

centerline

I did a little digging and found a 2022 Fuel 287 FS. Reading thru it, it lists your 15K ducted AC, and also states prewired for a second AC, just for your FWIW installing your second one.

We factory ordered our 44+' CY with 3 ACs, but we only use 1 of them 5% of the time....so I made the same mistake as you, in a way.

All 3 of our 15K ACs draw 11 amps each after starting, so a 30A service **COULD BE USED MARGINALLY** if all occupants knew how to conserve those extra amps (not many know the tricks to do so..lol). I'm not condoning a second AC on 30A for you....but the wife and I are in the know to make it work. Soft Starts are also very useful.

30 amp service can run 2 ac units reasonably well if a "soft start" unit is installed on one of them....

I know this is a little late, but we just purchased one (2020 Fuel 287) and being in FL knew alo we had to have a second a/C. We had it added at purchase and they had to add a "soft start" to it to ensure the 30amp would be able to handle the load. Posted in case this helps someone.