Favorite Portable Pellet Grill

CDN

B and B
Tony and I purchased a slightly used Green Mountain Grill Davey Crockett from my boss last week. It has been well cared for, and included the grill cover and tote bag and half a hopper full of pellets. Some might say we got a "smokin' deal" on it.

He's not had a chance to tinker with it just yet, but looking forward to joining the pellet-heads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our GMG lives in the front bay. This coming weekend we have ribs on the GMG and maybe a pork roast. Have fun smoking!

Fox

As you've all peaked my interest I will subscribe to this discussion.

For over 35 years propane has been my preferred choice. While not as tasty as charcoal the instant on / instant off made it worthwhile to me. During that time-frame I have used 3 large Webers; about 4-5 years ago I purchased a Weber Q - specifically for camper use (where it is used to serve 2-4). While I still have the large Weber at home (instead of using it) I now transport the much smaller Q back to the house - where it's used 3-4 times /week. The covered up big guy now only gets fired up maybe once/ twice a year when we have a larger group of folks.

With that background I will say this, propane is my choice for burgers, steaks, chops. Then about 2 years ago I purchased a Traegar Pro pellet grill; which is now my preferred method for ribs, butts, chicken/ turkey, etc.

Regrettably I intentionally purchased Traegers largest 34" Pro model - and its oversize turns out to be overkill; I compensate by cooking large quantities, freezing much, and then giving most away. While my wallet suffers I'm their hero.

So ... now to the present time, I was not aware of an RV sized smoker. While I find this discussion interesting I'm not sold on carrying a second 'cooker'. Keep preaching its merits and I may just break down.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
As you've all peaked my interest I will subscribe to this discussion.

For over 35 years propane has been my preferred choice. While not as tasty as charcoal the instant on / instant off made it worthwhile to me. During that time-frame I have used 3 large Webers; about 4-5 years ago I purchased a Weber Q - specifically for camper use (where it is used to serve 2-4). While I still have the large Weber at home (instead of using it) I now transport the much smaller Q back to the house - where it's used 3-4 times /week. The covered up big guy now only gets fired up maybe once/ twice a year when we have a larger group of folks.

With that background I will say this, propane is my choice for burgers, steaks, chops. Then about 2 years ago I purchased a Traegar Pro pellet grill; which is now my preferred method for ribs, butts, chicken/ turkey, etc.

Regrettably I intentionally purchased Traegers largest 34" Pro model - and its oversize turns out to be overkill; I compensate by cooking large quantities, freezing much, and then giving most away. While my wallet suffers I'm their hero.

So ... now to the present time, I was not aware of an RV sized smoker. While I find this discussion interesting I'm not sold on carrying a second 'cooker'. Keep preaching its merits and I may just break down.

During my short tenure using the traeger it’s become the cooker of choice. As you, our large gas grill has become mostly obsolete!! At home we’re cooking everything on the traeger. Smoking whatever is awesome but What I’m liking is the NO flaring while grilling, burgers are juicier and chicken is finished without any concerns it’ll catch on fire
We too have the Weber Q in the BH for when the traeger doesn’t travel with us.

pegmikef

Whatever you do, do NOT buy the Traeger Scout table top smoker/grill until they have resolved the issues. Three of us bought one and none of them worked correctly so now they are anchors in our basements until it we get new ones. Very disappointed as two of us already have a couple the larger Traeger smokers and they work great.

Last edited:

travelin2

Since we’re sharing...in the traeger, we had brussel sprouts cooked in cast iron with chunks of smoked breakfast sausage seasoned with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
A rack of ribs was the accompanying entree!

Fox

Whatever you do, do NOT by the Traeger Scout table top smoker/grill until they have resolved the issues. Three of us bought one and none of them worked correctly so now they are anchors in our basements until it we get new ones. Very disappointed as two of us already have a couple the larger Traeger smokers and they work great.

Please elaborate ... what are the problems with the Traeger Scout?
I suppose I should re-read these posts and find an acceptable alternative (if I decide to get one).

BusManRG

I suppose I should re-read these posts and find an acceptable alternative (if I decide to get one).

Well we actually purchased the Traeger Ranger and we are having troubles also. We’ve called Traeger and I think they’re going to be supportive. The problem that we called about was tremendous fluctuation in the cooking temperature. We still believe that we have a faulty thermostat. I am not talking one or 2° I am talking 150° swing in cooking temperatures! While we had them on the phone regarding the thermostat they gave us a warning about a potential fire hazard with the drip pan. The drip pan is being re-designed to allow for better run off and they told us to expect a new drip pan early in August. Well, yesterday a drip pan appeared at our door. Husband hasn’t had a chance to take it out and look at it yet but at a glance he didn’t see any differences. We have a full-size Traeger at home and absolutely love it. It is probably our grill of choice over the Weber and I didn’t think that could happen. Like I said I think Traeger is going to stand behind us and make this good, at least I hope so. The Ranger and scout models are brand new and I believe were only released the end of June? Regarding the thermostat, they ask us to use it one or two more times and if there were issues they said they would make things right. My guess is that would mean a new thermostat.

Sandy

travelin2

Well, since we're talking about cooks on our favorite pellet grills, here is a little something I did in a cast iron skillet on mine this morning.
8adaf81a2ab007c951feb3d31f2f1249.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I certainly like pineapple upside down cake!! Had to try my hand at it. I’ve a sweet tooth so I added some pats of butter and brown sugar to the bottom of the skillet I’d lined with parchment paper. May not look as pretty but it sure is tasty!!
bda390f010fc8cedf8205c877b67f9cd.jpg
b20b0f3fee630b7abdbdd4d514a4d756.jpg

pegmikef

As another poster already expressed (about the Ranger), it is virtually impossible to control the temperature. We purchased three at the same time and they all suffered from the wild temperature swings. There is no way to smoke anything because in its current configuration, the lower temperatures are completely ignored. One of the problems is the heating element is offset to the right of the auger output, so a lot more pellets are pushed into the firepot, before ignition. On the larger, non-portables, the heating element is located directly below the auger output and the pellets are ignited quickly and there is no excess buildup. Traeger is working with us on this issue.

Fox

Last evening I performed a quick review of the numerous mentioned brands. While there appeared to be some quality units there I am NOT about carrying (loading / unloading) a 60 - 80 pound smoker.

Until something more portable (and reliable) comes along I'll smoke stuff at home, freeze it, and then pack it into the camper for later consumption. Too date I've been successful doing just that with both butts and ribs - and then warming them up with a conventional oven.

Two different cooks, butts (16 hours into a 24 hr cook) and a served rib-eye roast.

Attachments

• 16 hours.jpg
    16 hours.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Ribeye.jpg
    Ribeye.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 55

jbeletti

Last evening I performed a quick review of the numerous mentioned brands. While there appeared to be some quality units there I am NOT about carrying (loading / unloading) a 60 - 80 pound smoker.

Until something more portable (and reliable) comes along I'll smoke stuff at home, freeze it, and then pack it into the camper for later consumption. Too date I've been successful doing just that with both butts and ribs - and then warming them up with a conventional oven.

Two different cooks, butts (16 hours into a 24 hr cook) and a served rib-eye roast.

Fox - while I do carry a "portable" smoker (though not lightweight) and enjoy using it on the road when setup for a week. Like you, I also enjoy bringing previously smoked and frozen meats. I use the heck out of my vacuum sealer at home and I freeze smoked ribs in 1/3 to 1/2 racks, pulled pork in 1/2 to 1 pound packs etc. Good stuff.

jbeletti

I certainly like pineapple upside down cake!! Had to try my hand at it. I’ve a sweet tooth so I added some pats of butter and brown sugar to the bottom of the skillet I’d lined with parchment paper. May not look as pretty but it sure is tasty!!
b20b0f3fee630b7abdbdd4d514a4d756.jpg
Looks great to my Lyle!

Fox

I don't have a sweet tooth - but I do have a sweet eye.
Is it appropriate to post these pics here?

Fox

So Jessica Rabbit is off limits; in the future I'll try to keep that in mind.

BusManRG

As another poster already expressed (about the Ranger), it is virtually impossible to control the temperature. We purchased three at the same time and they all suffered from the wild temperature swings. There is no way to smoke anything because in its current configuration, the lower temperatures are completely ignored. One of the problems is the heating element is offset to the right of the auger output, so a lot more pellets are pushed into the firepot, before ignition. On the larger, non-portables, the heating element is located directly below the auger output and the pellets are ignited quickly and there is no excess buildup. Traeger is working with us on this issue.
We’ve talked with Traeger again. There is a button that used to be on the external panel of the thermostat switch. They’ve now preset it and it’s behind the panel. If anybody is interested PM me and I will forward you the instructions from Traeger on adjusting that switch. I’ll be honest I let my husband talk with Traeger about this and I just received the email. Something about adjusting how fast the pellets are released into the auger. They called it a P switch. If I eavesdropped on the conversation correctly, the switch was preset to 2 and it would probably be better at 4.

Sandy

jbeletti

We’ve talked with Traeger again. There is a button that used to be on the external panel of the thermostat switch. They’ve now preset it and it’s behind the panel. If anybody is interested PM me and I will forward you the instructions from Traeger on adjusting that switch. I’ll be honest I let my husband talk with Traeger about this and I just received the email. Something about adjusting how fast the pellets are released into the auger. They called it a P switch. If I eavesdropped on the conversation correctly, the switch was preset to 2 and it would probably be better at 4.

Sandy
Hi Sandy - that would be the "feed rate" adjustment. I think most pellet grills are adjustable in that manner. RecTec as well, though I've never done it, others have.

mlpeloquin

Well we were walking through Costco and low and behold a big Louisiana smoker with cold smoker/warmer combination at a price I could not resist. What a smoker! I knew Traeger had made a folding leg conversion kit for my Treager. Well go figure they don't produce it any more. So I cut the legs and added L brackets and threaded knobs to remove the legs. Fits in the storage bay, but in the future I think I will just put the wheels on one set of the shorten legs and go with that. My old and trusted and loved stainless steel grill has not been used since I purchased the Treager. Gave it to my son who lives in a condo that does not allow anything but gas units. My Q sits in by back yard in case we want to do some hamburgers and hot dogs. Cannot beat the smokers for taste!