Favorite Portable Pellet Grill

pegmikef

We’ve talked with Traeger again. There is a button that used to be on the external panel of the thermostat switch. They’ve now preset it and it’s behind the panel. If anybody is interested PM me and I will forward you the instructions from Traeger on adjusting that switch. I’ll be honest I let my husband talk with Traeger about this and I just received the email. Something about adjusting how fast the pellets are released into the auger. They called it a P switch. If I eavesdropped on the conversation correctly, the switch was preset to 2 and it would probably be better at 4.

Sandy

Yeah that was one of the first fixes they had us try. Did NOT fix the problem. It actually doesn't slow the feed rate (so there are less pellets), it just introduces a pause before the pellets are released or after (I forget). We tried all the p options and had the same problem. On the scout, the button is still on the panel, but covered with a sticker. Then we were told not to use the grills because of a fire hazard . . . we are still dealing with them.

Fox

As those two mentioned Traeger units appear to be the best for me (w/ size and weight considerations) I'm unhappy to hear these updated reports.
However I am tickled pink to not have to deal with these issues ...

Thank you for being the trial dummies (said love- inly).

Attachments

• crash-test-dummy.jpg
    crash-test-dummy.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 40

BusManRG

Yeah that was one of the first fixes they had us try. Did NOT fix the problem. It actually doesn't slow the feed rate (so there are less pellets), it just introduces a pause before the pellets are released or after (I forget). We tried all the p options and had the same problem. On the scout, the button is still on the panel, but covered with a sticker. Then we were told not to use the grills because of a fire hazard . . . we are still dealing with them.

Well darn it! I thought maybe we had a solution. I still have faith in Traeger that at some point we will find of solution or a fix or a replacement. Seems like the old PTG grill was fine. I wish we had room for A bigger model but we don’t.

Sandy

Fox

I wish I was mistaken but the original dedicated Traeger company is not the same as todays Traeger.
Like many before him he (Traeger) sold the rights to his name to others.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well we tried out our new-to-us GMG Davey Crockett. Tony smoked and then seared ribeyes on it and WOW! Amazing! We love it!
171ddadd78590f44537d954e772dfb76.jpg
911e3bbed80c9e3e5014de5dc40e0f1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Ok so we are Pellet-cooking converts! Tony cooked some t-bones one weekend, and just burgers and smoked some baby-backs. Wow!

25482cc3d07b59b4599ab8570b740857.jpg

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Need a like button on this forum!!!

Our pellet smoker is our go to cooker now! The Weber is relegated to the garage at home.

travelin2

Ok so we are Pellet-cooking converts! Tony cooked some t-bones one weekend, and just burgers and smoked some baby-backs. Wow!

25482cc3d07b59b4599ab8570b740857.jpg

Try something other than meat.
Clean off any excess grease...I did apple crisp last weekend. Have also done mac & cheese, sweet potato halves, baked beans, corn bread, sweet corn on the cob, etc

TravelTiger

Oh! Yes I forgot to mention he smoked corn on the cob as well!

pjones1969

Did some jerky today……

- - - Updated - - -

Ribs look good Tiger!

Attachments

• 2D4954A6-B8F1-488A-9D03-176648CA2244.jpg
    2D4954A6-B8F1-488A-9D03-176648CA2244.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 56
  • B9F32936-1912-4C8F-9840-7803AF067166.jpg
    B9F32936-1912-4C8F-9840-7803AF067166.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 51

travelin2

How did it come out? Looks wonderful!

Pretty good or y’all would never have known. LOL!!!

We bought them already boiled (while you wait) at a lobster shack. Peeled them back at the camper
On the smoker about an hour on low heat, just smoke, then a final half hour at about 275. Basted with melted butter every half hour
Moist and tasty. Just a hint of smoke. Still plenty of lobster flavor
We plan to pick up several to go before we leave in a few days