Filling Fresh Water Tank at Dump Station

Lynn1130

OK, I saw something this morning that made my stomach turn a little. Perhaps I am being over dramatic but let's see what others think.

Firstly, when I leave home to dry camp or hunt for the week or weekend my fresh water tanks are full and I don't plug up a dump station filling my water tanks. Maybe that is just me but today I watch two groups with trailers fill their fresh water tanks at the dump station. It backed up people wanting to dump and then I am wondering about the quality of the water coming from the same faucet that I hook my dump flush hose to. YUCK!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about backing up the dump station as much as I would worry about the water.
Ya never know where that hose has been. Every dump station I have been at warned against using it for potable water.
I was at a park once that had full hookups. There was a guy that drained his black tank and then took his white water supply hose and stuck it in the stinky slinky to rinse it out.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Maybe it is just me but I could not just sit by and watch someone filling their fresh water tank from a dump station hose. I would have to explain to them how unsanitary that is. They may not know. Really, there are some out there that just don't know or don't think. I would diplomatically tell them how they could get lots of different diseases that way. Then if they insisted on continuing I would tell them to be sure and stop at the store and get lots of toilet paper and Pepto-Bismal :)

dbbls59

OP said someone was filling the fresh water tank at a dump station, he didn't say they were using the dump station hose. Many dump stations have potable water faucets available also.

dhcolesj

dbbls59 is right, there are some dump stations that have both, however, they are clearly marked with warning signs and are separated by some distance.

GlenStMary

I thought I had seen everything until one day as we were having our septic tank for our home pumped out, I saw the guy standing there holding the hose going into my septic system in one hand and his sandwich in the other. He was eating and pumping out my septic system with his bare hands. I'm guessing this guy has a very high tolerance for disease.

porthole

Retired
I always assumed the "Do not use" - "not potable water" was mostly untested, well water.

Where we live, any new wells drilled cannot be used for domestic potable water supply, only stuff like car washing, lawn irrigation etc.