Filling water tank...when nowhere near city water

Oregon_Camper

We dry camp most of the time...this requires me to fill the water tank via 7 gallon containers. Never been an issue in the past...as I just put a funnel into the big opening for the tank.

Fast forward to having Big Horn 3160....the only connection to fill the tank is via a hose (no open spout).

How do you guys fill the fresh water tank, when you don't have city water (pressurized) via a hose?

danemayer

H Oregon_Camper,

There've been some threads on this in the past. If I remember correctly, the challenge is that you need enough pressure to open the check valve where the hose connects to the water inlet. Some people are using small 12V pumps to fill the tanks.

marvmarcy

Several ways to do it. I carry a 50gal bladder type tank on my truck and use a 120v pump that developes plenty of pressure. I have a big inverter with four big 6v batteries and two Honda 2000s, so plenty of power to run the pump. I've seen folks use regular 12v pumps like the onboard water pump. Some have modified the rv plumbing to use their onboard water pump.

Lynn1130

I carry a 35 gallon container in the back of the truck. I have a 12 volt RV water pump that used to be on the rig and I replaced with a new pump. I use it, with some hose attached. I use connections to the truck or the RV battery to operate it. An in-line switch makes starting and stopping easier as you fill.

I used to fill from 7 gallon containers using the same pump and battery but the larger container is more handy.

The trick with you situation is determining what pressure is needed to open the check valve. A 12 volt pump should do it but I don't know that for sure.

MikeR

I also carry a 40 gal. Bladder that I purchased at Camping World and a 12V water pump that I purchased at Harbor Freight. It works well and empties the bladder quickly. I made a 12V connection for the pump that plugs unto my trailer plug.

Oregon_Camper

I also carry a 40 gal. Bladder that I purchased at Camping World and a 12V water pump that I purchased at Harbor Freight. It works well and empties the bladder quickly. I made a 12V connection for the pump that plugs unto my trailer plug.

How do you fit the 40 gallon bladder in the bed of the truck with a 5th wheel hitch?

davebennington

You have asked a good question. We have not boon docked with our new unit yet, so I would like to know also. In thinking about how to fill the tank this thought comes to mind, could you fill the tank by using the winterizing function and suck to water in that way?

dave

danemayer

You have asked a good question. We have not boon docked with our new unit yet, so I would like to know also. In thinking about how to fill the tank this thought comes to mind, could you fill the tank by using the winterizing function and suck to water in that way?

dave

Hi Dave,

I think if you had the valve set to Winterize, and turned the pump ON, the water from the pump would be directed to the plumbing appliances, not to the fresh tank. BUT, I wonder what would happen if you had the valve set to TANK and turned the pump ON. Maybe the pump would provide suction to operate the check valve, and direct the water to the fresh tank.

Someone with a 4-way valve should try this.

dbbls59

Hi Dave,

I think if you had the valve set to Winterize, and turned the pump ON, the water from the pump would be directed to the plumbing appliances, not to the fresh tank. BUT, I wonder what would happen if you had the valve set to TANK and turned the pump ON. Maybe the pump would provide suction to operate the check valve, and direct the water to the fresh tank.

Someone with a 4-way valve should try this.
This wouldn't work Dan. As soon as you turned the valve to "tank" it switches it from "winterize" and would not suck through the winterization hose.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The only problem with using a waste container is that the plastic used in manufacturing may not be safe for potable water.
Here is a link to a product that is suitable for use with potable water. (LINK)
A little more volume and a little more $$.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Forum to slow for searching this morning. Somewhere on the site I have pictures.

I use a 28 gallon marine grade fresh water tank I got from a wrecked boat.
When needed it lays in the bed between the hitch and tailgate.

I use the winterizing hose to pull water from this tank and fill my trailer tanks as needed.
I already have my trailer "valved" so that I can distribute the water as I need.

If you can't do that with your current valves, a work around would be to use the winterizing valve's hose to pull the water from the rank and then use the shower hose to fill your fresh water tank.

Lynn1130

Yeah, but I don't use it for drinking. It goes for showers and toilet use so I am not too worried about that part. And I drank out of garden hoses for probably 15 years as a kid and I am still alive.
Generally those of us who boon dock are carrying bottled water for consumption. If you are going to drink it that container is good but I am not sure you need that just to carry water for other than drinking.

I would not recommend using it for water after using it for dumping your black tank.:p

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
This wouldn't work Dan. As soon as you turned the valve to "tank" it switches it from "winterize" and would not suck through the winterization hose.

This is correct. Last fall when winterizing my rig I was confused when the pump wouldn't pick up the antifreeze from my bucket. Upon review I found the valve was still set to Tank not Winterize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeR

The bladder is flat and lays on the bed and tailgate. As you fill it the vertical dimension goes from flat to about 6” high. Drive it back to the campsite from where you filled it and transfer the water to your fresh water tank. Fold the bladder back up until you need it again. Don't forget your blue tank. Sometime you're going to have to empty those holding tanks.

How do you fit the 40 gallon bladder in the bed of the truck with a 5th wheel hitch?

MikeR

I purchsed my 45 gal. bladder at Camping World. The price is $105, less money than the link above. Search for fresh water storage tank.

The only problem with using a waste container is that the plastic used in manufacturing may not be safe for potable water.
Here is a link to a product that is suitable for use with potable water. (LINK)
A little more volume and a little more $$.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

I was under the impression that with the 4-way valve, there is no separate antifreeze hose. Is that correct?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
That's correct. I use the same inlet for city water, tank fill, and winterizing. To winterize I attach short piece of tubing with a hose end that has a quick connect for my air compressor. Blow the lines, switch the valve, then pump in the antifreeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdfishing

I use the exact same equipment, purchased in exactly the same stores and used in exactly the same way as Mike R. And I thought mine was an original...I've turned several friends onto this setup and all are pleased.