Firearms traveling to Alaska via Canada

avvidclif

Don't even think of crossing the border to Canada with a firearm unless you like going to jail. That's why I'll never travel to Alaska.

olcoon

Didn't look at the link DocFather posted, but I've probably read it before. Don't think about taking a hand gun, or have any ammo for one in your truck or coach, you'll have A LOT OF PROBLEMS. You can take a long gun but don't state it's for "protection", from critters or bad guys. I've known of people who have travelled through Canada to Alaska with long guns with no problems, but they filled out the necessary paperwork BEFORE crossing the border & mailed it to the proper Canadian authorities, and had it approved before they left. When they crossed the border they stated they had the firearm, were pulled to the side, asked a few questions, paperwork was reviewed & they were on their way. I also know people who have taken shotguns to Canada for hunting with no problems. It can be done, you've just got to jump through the hoops.

DocFather

Didn't look at the link DocFather posted, but I've probably read it before. Don't think about taking a hand gun, or have any ammo for one in your truck or coach, you'll have A LOT OF PROBLEMS. You can take a long gun but don't state it's for "protection", from critters or bad guys. I've known of people who have travelled through Canada to Alaska with long guns with no problems, but they filled out the necessary paperwork BEFORE crossing the border & mailed it to the proper Canadian authorities, and had it approved before they left. When they crossed the border they stated they had the firearm, were pulled to the side, asked a few questions, paperwork was reviewed & they were on their way. I also know people who have taken shotguns to Canada for hunting with no problems. It can be done, you've just got to jump through the hoops.

Exactly. And it IS possible to get a carry permit for a handgun as long as the barrel us a certain length or longer. "Handguns with at least 4-inch barrels are considered "restricted" firearms and are allowed in Canada, but require the completion an approval of an Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms.This Non-Resident Firearm Declaration costs $50 Canadian."

Jim-Lynn

As Brian said - don't even think of crossing the border with any type of gun. CASE CLOSED

Jim

mlburst1

We traveled through Canada on our way to Alaska and back with a shotgun with absolutely no issues.

The other three couples with us also had long guns.

We all filled out form RCMP 5589 (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm) and presented them at the border crossings - you will have to go inside and pay the current fee which is good for 90 days and then you're on your way.

This is for long guns only.

SilverRhino

I assume that when you get to the border they ask if you have firearms? Safe bet that there are a number of people that just say No and go on their way with their gun.

I would look so guilty they would immediately search my entire rig if I tried it.....but I'm sure that a lot of folks do it.

Lynn1130

I think the question was "do I need a firearm" and the thread changed to transporting firearms into or across Canada. The short answer to the question is NO you don't need a firearm. If you need some protection from critters once in Alaska buy some bear spray but dump it before you try to go back through Canada.

If, however, you are planning to research taking a handgun or long gun through Canada the information posted will help.

ManDak

Hi, Mind if I chime in here. Finally, something I have knowledge on. If you keep my little secret I'll let you in on it that I am actually a Canadian Border Officer. These are the facts. Sorry, no handguns. I have arrested people just as said that are on their way to Alaska that thought that they could just tell a little fib and be on their merry way. Yes, I'm sure there has been people that have got past me but I will tell you the ones that don't are not proud people after I find it and they are arrested and lose their gun forever and turned back. Not a cool trip for them.
Yes, you can take long guns (shotguns/rifles) though Canada. There is actually an in transit option on the form - or at least there was on the old forms, maybe not on the new ones. I can't always keep up as they tend to change them. But, fact of the matter is that it's not that hard, declare them, fill out the form, pay a $25 fee, and away you go. Now, doesn't mean that you won't possibly get searched or additional questions - that's just our mentality we have. American+Going to Alaska = Handgun. Don't be offended and if you don't have a handgun then don't stress about it. Let the officers do their job and you will be on your way.
Hope that helps and clears up any mis information. Any other border related questions - feel free to ask. Oh... and no poultry products or eggs right now - Avian flu outbreak and there are current regulations on that. :)

ManDak

Oh and one more thing... Actual "Bear" spray is legal in Canada. It has to say "Bear" spray or protection from bear's on the container and usually they are a large canister not the dinky little pepper sprays...trust me.... I have sprayed out hundreds of those little mace/pepper sprays in my career and I wouldn't risk my life thinking those dribbles would protect me from anything.... get the big can! Once again, just declare it, have it handy (as you probably already should if you really want it for protection) as the officer may want to see it and confirm that it is actually labelled as bear spray. And it is going to be used for "protection from bears and wildlife" not personal protection. ;)

ManDak

"Exactly. And it IS possible to get a carry permit for a handgun as long as the barrel us a certain length or longer. "Handguns with at least 4-inch barrels are considered "restricted" firearms and are allowed in Canada, but require the completion an approval of an Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms.This Non-Resident Firearm Declaration costs $50 Canadian.":

Just to clarify that statement from DocFather. Actually, handguns are ONLY allowed into Canada if you are attending a certified pistol competition. There is no "permit to carry". You would require a invitational letter from a registered shooting organization such as the IPSC and then must apply for an "Authorization to Transport" from the RCMP. The pistol would only be allowed to be carried to and from the actual shooting competition.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And a few years back, I was repeatedly asked what firearms did I own, not if I had any with me. And I repeatedly answered that what I owned was none of her business because I didn't have any of them with me and she was welcome to search if she didn't believe me. After a few minutes of this, she waved me on with a frustrated huff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
And a few years back, I was repeatedly asked what firearms did I own, not if I had any with me. And I repeatedly answered that what I owned was none of her business because I didn't have any of them with me and she was welcome to search if she didn't believe me. After a few minutes of this, she waved me on with a frustrated huff.

Same thing a couple years ago at the Niagara Falls crossing. Guy kept asking my buddy and me what guns we had at home after we told him we had none with us. Probably didn't help that my buddy had on a T shirt from his shooting club!!

ManDak

Basically, the question is an honesty test. Have any firearms with you? "no" Own any firearms? "no" So, there has never been any firearms in your vehicle? "no" I run a residue test on your belongings/vehicle and find gunpowder reside. Hmmm, why is there residue, why might not he/she being totally honest with me? What are they hiding? Maybe I need to start digging/searching a little more deeper? You don't want to answer a simple question? Hmm, what are they trying to hide?

And, yes it is our business.

• [h=6]"Canada Customs Act
    Section 11.4
    Presentation and reporting — within customs controlled area[/h](1.1) Every person who is in a customs controlled area shall, if requested to do so by an officer,
    • (a) present himself or herself in the prescribed manner to an officer and identify himself or herself; and
    • (b) answer truthfully any questions asked by an officer in the performance of his or her duties under this or any other Act of Parliament."

You don't want to answer our questions, we do not have to let you into Canada. As a non citizen is is a privilege to enter another country, not your right.

Rayz

As a Canadian, I wouldnt be overly concerned with needing fire arm protection from critters. It is an exceptional case where a bear or cougar get close enough to harm you unless of course you are well into the bush hiking/working etc... then its also rare that an encounter occurs, I am more leary about people harming others though, but for now anyways it is relativly safe to camp/boondoggle etc..here.
If I am not mistaken, it is the same for Canadian's travelling to the US, we are not allowed to carry any rifles/handguns into the US unless we have completed an application throughg Homeland Security and have been sponsored/ invited from a range or club.
There has been one or two occasions where I would have felt a lot safer if I had some protection while inside the five but thats the ruels we bide by.