Firearms traveling to Alaska via Canada

olcoon

ManDak,
You just cleared up a lot of questions, and gave some insight into the thinking of a Border Officer-Canadian or US, basically the same mindset. As a retired LEO I've had to explain to civilians-friends, family, or strangers; but why did he.... It's our job, and how we are trained to do it. As questions come up off & on hopefully you monitor the forum enough that you can put your two cents in so people can get correct info, instead of "Well, I think... or I know somebody who... always best to get the good stuff from someone who knows exactly how things work. BTW you've got a tough job, thanks for doing it! I've just got to ask, you are a Canadian Border Officer, but I noticed that you listed ND as your location. I "assume" you are an US resident/citizen and working for the Canadian Government?

For those of you going through Canada to Alaska and want to have a hand gun with you, there is a LEGAL way to do it, but it's a real PITA. Take your hand gun to someone here in the US that has a FFL, and have them ship it to someone in Alaska that has a FFL. When you go home do the same in reverse, or sell it to someone up there.

Lynn1130

ManDak, I understand the reasons for the honesty test and with 35 years in LE I have used the test in one form or another so many times I have lost count but to be honest I know that US or Canadian Border Protection has way more to do than do what look like fishing expeditions. I think you are trying to expand on a point but I am surprised that a simple no answer to a question of gun ownership would bring about a residue test of the vehicle. Contrary to what people in other countries believe, not everyone in the US has a gun in their car and in their house. If there is a suspicion then search the vehicle, if not, don't hold up the line.

Living in a border state, one that has a **** of a lot more problems than Canada could ever have with the US as a neighbor, and having worked with BP many times I found the officers way to overloaded to worry about trying to drum up a problem. I really appreciate what you guys do and appreciate the information that you are presenting. Thanks for the good info.

ManDak

Olcoon, you assumed right, I am a Canadian Border Officer, Canadian citizen, I married my American husband and I have PR status in the US. I commute from our home in the US (North Dakota) to my job in Canada (Manitoba). Kind of a complicated situation to follow for most.

And, by no means am I hear to lecture anybody, I can do enough of that at work, lol, just want to try to provide some info if possible.

" I think you are trying to expand on a point but I am surprised that a simple no answer to a question of gun ownership would bring about a residue test of the vehicle. Contrary to what people in other countries believe, not everyone in the US has a gun in their car and in their house. If there is a suspicion then search the vehicle, if not, don't hold up the line. " You are most certainly correct, Lynn1130, there are numerous other factors and indicators to consider. It is somewhat difficult to give a simple answer when the whole situation isn't know. Sometimes it can just be inexperience on part of an Officer too.

Hope I can help with any other questions if possible.

Birchwood

If you are not going hunting you will not need a gun.But then again if you are a drug dealer or prone to getting in trouble you should bring a big gun.

bigdob24

Just ship your hand gun to a dealer in Alaska and ship it back when done traveling.
Lots of folks avoid Canada's anti gun policy's that way.
Don't use The postal service , use Fed Ex or UPS.

avvidclif

Just ship your hand gun to a dealer in Alaska and ship it back when done traveling.
Lots of folks avoid Canada's anti gun policy's that way.
Don't use The postal service , use Fed Ex or UPS.

Ain't happening, most of mine are not registered or whatever you want to call it and I'm not letting them get in anybody's books.

olcoon

ManDak,
Last fall we worked the sugar beet harvest in Drayton, ND. We took a "day trip" to Winnipeg, and when going across the border the officer (a female) asked "What is your business in Canada" or something like that. I said we were on a day trip, and I could almost see the lights & sirens going off in her head. She said "A day trip from Missouri??!!" Then we had an interesting discussion until someone came up behind me. She said she had also worked the sugar beet harvest. She was kind of upset with me because I misread the signs, and got in the wrong lane, which she said happens often.

Tundra2084

Easy answer...IF IN DOUBT GO WITHOUT
OR
DONT GO AT ALL IF YOUR THAT WORRIED ABOUT SAFETY
Life happens and it's not always weapons you might need.
Just saying!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When in Canada a few years ago (Niagara Falls) I was approached by a lady who asked me for directions. When she asked her question to me began with "Officer, Can you..." I was dressed in an old T-shirt and blue jeans with nothing indicating I was a LEO. She said she could just tell I was. And I was a Texas Peace Officer. On another occasion I was approached by an Ex-con in Colorado that I had arrested several years before. He asked if I remembered him. Luckily nothing became of the confrontation but it was an eye opener. That is why LEO's carry their Off-dutys. Now retired for a number of years I still run into folks I have had problems with in previous years while On-Duty. I still carry and have a Federal License to carry which is permitted to Retired LEOs. Would I go to Canada without carrying? No. So I won't go to Canada. I have nothing against Canada or its citizens, it is just that you never know who has traveled there and might pop up from my past years.

jimtoo

A few years back we crossed over to Canada at Niagara Falls. When we pull up officer ask about owning guns and I answered that I did, when ask if I had any with me I said no. Was told to pull over to inspection area and another officer came out and spent 2 1/2 hours going through the trailer and truck. I ask if there was a reason they did not believe me and was told that I had Texas license plates and they search 95% of the vehicles with Texas plates because they know that everyone in Texas owns guns and most do not tell the truth.

Will I be going back to Canada... not likely.

Jim M

olcoon

Just reading this thread, you can really notice a difference between Canadians and US Citizens. US Citizens really like the freedom the Second Amendment affords us, for a lot of reasons. I'm not downplaying our good neighbors to the North, we are very similar in our way of life. However like Jim, I'm a retired LEO, and have met with several people while off duty I've had to deal with before I retired, and some of them weren't the best of people. A lot of these times I had the family with me. Like Jim nothing happened, but you never know what is going through someones mind. Even if I wasn't a retired LEO, with the state of the world I'd still be carrying a weapon. Kind of reminds me of a book I once read. Here is a quote from the book, which I think says it all.

“Understand one thing, Mr. Chantry. You can make laws against weapons but they will be observed only by those who don’t intend to use them anyway. The lawless can always smuggle or steal, or even make a gun. By refusing to wear a gun you allow the criminal to operate with impunity.
We have the law, but even the law cannot be in your bedroom at night.”

From the book North To The Trails by Louis L’Amour

mlburst1

Roy,

I agree completely with your quote - this one always comes to mind when anti's rail against gun ownership - "When seconds count, the police are still minutes away"

Mike

Lynn1130

Carry or not carry is a personal preference but having been a LEO for 35 years, having two daughters, one son-in-law, and two other members of the family that are/were LE (retired), I can tell you that cops are paranoid, period. Is there danger out there, yes. Is there a chance it will get you, yes. Is the chance likely, no. Now if you live in a small town and see the same people every day, and you were the local law, then carry. In my case, I live in the big city where danger lurks around every corner ;) but I don't go into those areas any more. I used to get sent to them but I don't have to do that so I don't. I do carry, in the truck but in all of my many years of retirement I have not seen one instance of a need to use or have a gun on me. I am and was a trained observer. I tend to be looking for where "trouble" might develop and avoid those locations. Does it mean I might miss one and walk into it, maybe. I have just seen too many officers shot, injured or killed when all of the information and numbers were with them and some unknown popped up.

I always taught new officers that they may run into a situation where they need to act or think they need to act when they are off duty. Part of good reasoning and common sense is to decide, at that time, whether to act or be a good witness. And what always come to mind is the citizen who felt he needed to act at a robbery in progress here and shot a bystander by accident. I think he is still in jail awaiting trial.

I am not saying don't protect your family or yourself but I am saying if you carry, use some common sense. And I am sorry, but I can't follow the reasoning that someone will not travel in another country without a gun. I would think if someone is that paranoid they should stay home, lock the doors, and sit in the armchair with their weapon locked and loaded. I would have missed many countries around the world with that frame of mind.

http://www.crimeinamerica.net/2010/12/13/what-are-my-chances-of-being-a-victim-of-violent-crime/

Grey Ghost

Just read this thread and have only this to say" Response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. Just saying!

Lynn1130

I don't know what city you live in but police and fire in Phoenix for Priority One calls (true emergencies) is just over 5 minutes and in some metro cities nearer 3 minutes.

travlyn2s

Re: Firearms into Canada Having lived in Alaska 25+ years and now make almost yearly trips to Alaska through Canada from Idaho. #1 Handguns are not allowed. 2# Hunting/rifles can be taken. You 'should' have make/model/serial # for rifle. Bolt action rifles, the bolt should not be in rifle. Any ammo stored separately. Declare at border if asked and be prepared to show. Not sure but AR15/K47/automatics probably not allowed. There is no "set" of questions they will ask, so be prepared.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Just crossed the border into BC from WA earlier this week. CA border guard was polite and courteous. Less than 5 minutes and we were on our way. A few simple yes/no questions. Yes, I'm without a firearm this trip, no pepper spray but I have bear spray which I declared when asked. I was more worried he'd be upset with the amount of alcohol I had on board !! No search of TV or BH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birchwood

Just crossed the border into BC from WA earlier this week. CA border guard was polite and courteous. Less than 5 minutes and we were on our way. A few simple yes/no questions. Yes, I'm without a firearm this trip, no pepper spray but I have bear spray which I declared when asked. I was more worried he'd be upset with the amount of alcohol I had on board !! No search of TV or BH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its that easy if you don't have a gun and if you feel you need to travel with a gun then Canada is not the place for you.