Firearms traveling to Alaska via Canada

dasmoeturhead

Its that easy if you don't have a gun and if you feel you need to travel with a gun then Canada is not the place for you.

I guess its not for me then. No way I would ever travel without a way to protect my family or property. Retired USCG Chief Marine Boarding Officer.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Why is it that current and former LEOs don't want to travel without some way to protect our families and ourselves? Could it be we know something other folks do not?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I'll stick my nose into this and say...you're all paranoid and if what is happening in this country in regards to law enforcement behavior is as widespread as one is made to believe then maybe the average citizen should be more concerned with THEIR safety.
I've traveled for business and pleasure for over 40 yrs all over the country. Only a few times did I feel uncomfortable in my environment but really never threatened and those were business trips where I basically had no choice.
Pleasure trips are totally different as I am able to determine my surroundings and have a choice whether I stay or move on. We have never overnighted in a CG, park, etc where I have felt the need to be armed against any personal threat.
In addition, trigger happy citizens are finding themselves in court on trial for murder and manslaughter thinking that a "stand my ground " defense is the ticket out. Well that's proven to be very uncertain.
I'm a second amendment supporter and the wife and I have CC permits and I will protect my family and friends but at the same time I'm not so narrow minded to limit my adventures and travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I'll stick my nose into this and say...you're all paranoid and if what is happening in this country in regards to law enforcement behavior is as widespread as one is made to believe then maybe the average citizen should be more concerned with THEIR safety.
I've traveled for business and pleasure for over 40 yrs all over the country. Only a few times did I feel uncomfortable in my environment but really never threatened and those were business trips where I basically had no choice.
Pleasure trips are totally different as I am able to determine my surroundings and have a choice whether I stay or move on. We have never overnighted in a CG, park, etc where I have felt the need to be armed against any personal threat.
In addition, trigger happy citizens are finding themselves in court on trial for murder and manslaughter thinking that a "stand my ground " defense is the ticket out. Well that's proven to be very uncertain.
I'm a second amendment supporter and the wife and I have CC permits and I will protect my family and friends but at the same time I'm not so narrow minded to limit my adventures and travel.

I really think of it differently than you. After over 30 years in Law Enforcement I have seen both good and bad citizens and good and bad officers. But after personally witnesses honest citizens being preyed upon by the lower element of society it is easy to see how you can be sitting in a Luby's eating your dinner when a unstable individual comes in shooting, or sitting in a theater minding your own business when a nutcase is intent on seeing everyone in the place dead. Or walking into a convenience store to buy a soft drink or loaf of bread when some drug-crazied individual decides to take everyone in the store on. You see, you can be doing all the right things, drive to an unfamiliar town on vacation when you wander into what looks like a nice area to go to the store when that happens. No I don't think LEO are paranoid, I think they have been there, done that, seen that, experienced that and know that Murphy's Law (what ever can happen will happen) it real. Safe travels. :)

travelin2

Everything you say is true however the post subject is "traveling to AK thru Canada ". I'm not so narrow minded to say if I can't have my gun I'm not going. Seeing Alaska via the Alaska Hwy is on my bucket list so to do so I left the firearms at home.
Currently in Fairbanks AK.

Capt7383

In response to travelin2. I have also never felt that my house would catch fire nor has it. I never thought I would get in an accident and I havent, but I sure as **** am not gonna cancel my insurance policies either. If you ever feel threatened and wish to move on I sincerely hope you are afforded that opportunity by you assailants. It has been my experience as a LEO for 35 yrs that that you will not be afforded that opportunity. I wish I had a dollar for every victim I talked to that said, "I didn't think that happened here". So much for choosing your environment. Good luck in your travels, btw why the ccw permits?

travelin2

In response to travelin2. I have also never felt that my house would catch fire nor has it. I never thought I would get in an accident and I havent, but I sure as **** am not gonna cancel my insurance policies either. If you ever feel threatened and wish to move on I sincerely hope you are afforded that opportunity by you assailants. It has been my experience as a LEO for 35 yrs that that you will not be afforded that opportunity. I wish I had a dollar for every victim I talked to that said, "I didn't think that happened here". So much for choosing your environment. Good luck in your travels, btw why the ccw permits?

Again the post is about traveling to AK thru Canada. We expect people that visit the USA to follow our rules so if I want to travel to Canada I have to follow theirs.
That said i will repeat myself in that I'm not going to stay in the lower 48 because I "can't take my favorite gun"!!!
In addition, I could get hit by a bus while crossing the street so in your way if thinking, I should never cross the street.
Duh...

Capt7383

Now your making progress. At least you now realize you COULD get hit by a bus. In your prior Post you seemed oblivious to that simple fact

avvidclif

Why is it that current and former LEOs don't want to travel without some way to protect our families and ourselves? Could it be we know something other folks do not?

For the "other folks" it's called the rose colored glasses syndrome.

lynndiwagoner

Funny thread. I always pack when I'm on the road. Always. I don't go to States that don't allow my right to be armed. Now, if I were going to Alaska, I would probably ship the gun to a firearms dealer in Alaska and take my chances in Canada. I guess law abiding Canadian citizens can't be trusted with a firearm.

brianharrison

I guess law abiding Canadian citizens can't be trusted with a firearm.

Not true; we like to own long guns and shoot some pretty cool wildlife with them. In fact there are a large contingent of Americans who come here specifically for our hunting and professional guides for exotic animals. Typically handguns are used to shoot people - we frown on that and keep the weapons out of the hands of the less trustworthy - LEOs use that to their advantage up here.

Simply, Canadian laws are written such that handguns are restricted weapons and there are stringent rules and permitting regarding these types of firearms (amongst others). Long guns are less restricted and have less rules and permit requirements.

I encourage you to go back and read ManDak post #13 and #14 of this thread.

It is just that Americans prefer to CC handguns - haven't seem a concealed rifle strapped to the hip of an American in my travels lately.....

Brian

avvidclif

Not true; we like to own long guns and shoot some pretty cool wildlife with them. In fact there are a large contingent of Americans who come here specifically for our hunting and professional guides for exotic animals. Typically handguns are used to shoot people - we frown on that and keep the weapons out of the hands of the less trustworthy - LEOs use that to their advantage up here.

Simply, Canadian laws are written such that handguns are restricted weapons and there are stringent rules and permitting regarding these types of firearms (amongst others). Long guns are less restricted and have less rules and permit requirements.

I encourage you to go back and read ManDak post #13 and #14 of this thread.

It is just that Americans prefer to CC handguns - haven't seem a concealed rifle strapped to the hip of an American in my travels lately.....

Brian

In other words the government doesn't trust it's citizens to own handguns, and barely allows long guns.

Laws are only for the law abiding. I haven't seen a law yet that would stop a criminal.

ILH

In other words the government doesn't trust it's citizens to own handguns, and barely allows long guns.

Laws are only for the law abiding. I haven't seen a law yet that would stop a criminal.

I live in a densely populated Canadian city and I own multiple long guns. It is neither difficult nor unusual to own them in Canada. And yes, I have permits to own them.

avvidclif

I live in a densely populated Canadian city and I own multiple long guns. It is neither difficult nor unusual to own them in Canada. And yes, I have permits to own them.

I don't have to have a permit, period. Handgun or long gun.

lynndiwagoner

I would think that Canada should allow U.S. Citizens who have CCW licenses to carry them across the border on the way to Alaska. You have to jump through many hoops, be fingerprinted, and have a background check before they issue you a license here in Oklahoma. States that don't require a license would be more suspect as anyone can carry a pistol, probably as it should be. I'm pretty sure a Canadian Citizen could shoot someone just as easily with a long gun or shot gun instead of a pistol, just saying.

buddyboy

We both have our CWPs, but are not permitted to carry concealed or open in several states. We comply. We believe that part of the responsibility with gun ownership is knowledge of and compliance with the laws in different locations. It doesn't mean we agree with their laws, merely that while in their borders we are in their jurisdiction. We do not remain in these locations long, and will, in fact, avoid these locations when practical. Guess the bottom line is that gun ownership does come with the responsibility to know when it's not okay to have guns with you. In this case, it's not a disagreement with laws within the USA which are in conflict with the second amendment, but the laws of another country which does not have a similar Constitution.

JMHO

Martha

scottyb

I will honor Canadian laws whenever I get to travel there. It's their sovereign right to make these laws. I just disagree with their logic. Gun laws only affect law abiding citizens. They have no effect on criminals. It is already unlawful for criminals to possess firearms, yet they manage to do so anyway.

lynndiwagoner

I understand...... different country, different culture. I would certainly respect the laws of Canada IF I ever traveled there. I just don't understand the logic. I promise not to say anything else.

ManDak

Firearms as well as marijuna use/possession are always a passionate topics of debate. :) Ironically enough, the US actual has very stringent regulations in regards to the export of arms and ammunition and not as simple of an answer as that Canada should just allow Americans to CC in their country. I understand both sides of the argument and as a everyday Canadian living in Canada I never felt the inkling to own a handgun for protection. After moving to the US, plus the CBSA's recent mandate to arm our Canadian border officers, I do somewhat feel some merit to owning a personal handgun. Why, I'm not even sure, I think more so now that I live in the US, is just because I can?? :confused: So as an American resident I proudly say that I own 2 personal handguns and one lovely mossberg shotgun with pretty birdies on it for going pheasant hunting (a lovely Chirstmas give from my American husband) I am the envy of my Canadian coworker "gun nuts" that I can pretty much go out and buy what I want including the same version of our duty firearm which isn't available for personal possession in Canada due to it's prohibited classification as well as another handgun that would be prohibited in Canada that is small, cute and I call my purple sparkle gun! I do see how guns are somehow like the theory of tattoos - once you have one -you just want more!