FIXED HVAC fan won't stop running! 2011 Trail Runner 26FQB

shawna

Even in the 'off' setting (it is a manual type furnace/AC control) the fan in my 2011 Trail Runner won't stop running.
The only thing that I did differently this spring was possibly put in the wrong battery. My boat and trailer battery were
beside each other and I chose the one that was not the deep cycle. (assuming the deep cycle was for my boat!)
Could the wrong battery type cause the system to malfunction? The trialer worked perfectly fine when I parked it last fall and removed the battery and it has been 'broken' since I took it out of storage this spring.

I do have it scheduled for warranty work but wondered if this might solve the problem. Not having to take the whole trailer in sounds good to me!!
(I haven't tried it yet since I have to drive out to my camp to get the other battery)

Any insight anyone can offer would help.
Thanks!
Shawna

danemayer

Re: HVAC fan won't stop running! 2011 Trail Runner 26FQB

Hi Shawna,

Any chance the battery is 6 volt rather than 12, or perhaps installed backwards?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

shawna

Wow. Quick reply....thanks!!
I must admit I know little about batteries...they were the same size and shape. lol.
I will check when i get home from work. Could that do it?

Eddhuy

I'd check the thermostat. If the fan is set to Lo or Hi, then it will always be on regardless of the status of the A/C. Make sure you have it set to Auto, then it should go off.

shawna

Thanks for the quick reply!
I have tried the Auto setting - and all the other settings just in case.
Tried turning the heat up and down. The system works - AC and heat; but the fan never stops.
The only thing that stops it is removing the fuse.

danemayer

Wow. Quick reply....thanks!!
I must admit I know little about batteries...they were the same size and shape. lol.
I will check when i get home from work. Could that do it?
6V will screw up the logic cards and give unpredictable results. If your non-RV battery was 12V but discharged down to say 9 volts output, it might do weird things. If you reversed polarity when installing, you could blow fuses on the power converter and do some strange things.

From your description, I think you're saying that the furnace blower won't shut off (not talking about the Air Conditioning blower). You might also check the wires going into the thermostat to see if anything is loose, disconnected, or out of place.

oldmannj

I'd also try taking the battery out of the remote. It may be stuck between functions. Pulling the battery should reset it if that is the problem.

Rickhansen

Is it the furnace fan or the A/C fan?

The furnace fan runs on 12vdc, and the A/C fan runs on 120vac. Both are controlled through separate relays which both have 12vdc coils. I suspect that one of those relays (indicated by which fan is on) has "welded" its contacts together. This could be caused if the furnace fan tried to run on 6vdc. When you half the voltage, you would double the current in that circuit which could weld those contacts.

Sometimes a firm rap with a screwdriver handle on the relay will release them. You might still need to replace that relay, but this might get you by for now and tell you which relay to replace.

shawna

:)Thanks everyone,
ok - The battery I put in was my boat battery - but is the same voltage and type, and it was not drained. I put in the proper battery and nothing changed.
The system does not have a remote - so no batteries to change in that. It is just an old-fashioned wall unit selector type thing. (as you can tell I'm great with technical terms....) Also I took if off the wall and checked all the connections etc. last week. I found nothing unusual.
I don't really know the difference between fans - I'm guessing you are right about the furnace fan. It is not blowing heat or cold air - it is just blowing through all the vents in the trailer - circulating air.
So maybe the relay or something like that - I don't know where to find that.......I have an apointment to bring the whole trailer in on Tuesday. Groan. The dealer said maybe the whole board? I guess that means the circuit board. That means waiting weeks for a new one - but I'm not scheduled to go camping again until mid-July so that's ok!!

Thanks anyway for all for your help and suggestions!
Shawna

shawna

By the way - I love this site - It is really nice seeing where everyone is from and what kind of trailer you have! I also like that I am a 'junior member' in my info. Can we keep it that way?? It makes me look younger! I bought my trailer brand new 2 years ago - and have learned so much. I wish I had signed in here two years ago!!

danemayer

Shawna,

You shouldn't have to wait long for furnace parts; if not in stock at the dealer, they can probably get them from a distributor pretty quickly.

Btw, the furnace blows air from floor registers. The air conditioning blows air from the ceiling.

shawna

Thanks Dan!
That makes sense. So it is the furnace fan - coming from the floor.
The dealer here actually said up to 3 weeks. Sounded crazy to me too.
Maybe they are setting my up for the worst-case scenario!
I'l re-post when they tell me what it is.

shawna

It was the board. Dropped it off Monday night and it is fixed and ready for pickup! Parts and service covered with $50 deductible. Way to go Smith's RV!!

Rickhansen

That's good news Shawna, thanks for the follow-up.