Flipped Shackle Help

BigGuy82

I remember seeing a thread on repairing a flipped shackle. Can someone point me there or give me some guidance on how to unflip this thing?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I would use the Level-up to lift the weight off of the tires. Then use a floor jack to jack up the good axle once you jack that axle up it should rock the equalizers back or forward enough to allow the flipped shackles to flip back up. You might need to then lower the unit down at this point to get it to flip all the way up.

Hope this makes sense

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BigGuy82

Problem solved. The rears were flipped. Raised the coach on the Level Up and put 2 X 12 blocks under each front tire. Lowered the coach so the rear tires were just barely off the ground. Put a hydraulic jack under the axle hanger bolts, one side at a time and pumped it up until the shackle flipped. Put a wood block under that tire and then did the same to the other side. Lowered the coach - drove off the blocks. Viola!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Problem solved. The rears were flipped. Raised the coach on the Level Up and put 2 X 12 blocks under each front tire. Lowered the coach so the rear tires were just barely off the ground. Put a hydraulic jack under the axle hanger bolts, one side at a time and pumped it up until the shackle flipped. Put a wood block under that tire and then did the same to the other side. Lowered the coach - drove off the blocks. Viola!

Cool!

Now we know who to call when we have that problem! :cool:

I've flipped a shackle or two several times. It happens when both tires on one axle leave the ground and/or the axles aren't on level ground usually. When the weight of the tires unweight the springs. They shorten and the spring and shackle flip over

I usually try to reverse the process. Place blocks under the tires to get the equalizers in their normal position as I lower the rv. I lower one side at a time if both sides have flipped. Once one side is corrected. It helps force the other side to straighten itself out.

Seems simple. But sometimes I've had to wedge a board under the spring end at the shackle. But it helps to block the tires so the equalizers are level on both sides of the rv first
[h=1]

2010 Ram 3500 HD traded in for new 2015 3500 HD DRW mega cab with the 3.42 gears
I haven't hooked up yet, we'll see how it pulls with 17" wheels. (Pulls great !)
2014 Cyclone 3100
G614 Goodyears
Good Sam gps
Trimark keyed alike
Xantex 2000 watt inverter "Inverter Service Center"
Blue Sea System toggle source selector
L.E.D. running lights
Quadra Bigfoot levelers
Dexter wet bolts
Boyo wireless backup camera
EMS-HW50C
TST 507RV
Smittybuilt air compressor
Splendide 2100XC
26k Husky hitch
Mor Ryde pin box
6-volt 240 AH batteries
Added dinette
Replaced L.E.D. tail lights with Leading Edge Trailer light bars (made in the US)
[/h]

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've flipped a shackle or two several times. It happens when both tires on one axle leave the ground and/or the axles aren't on level ground usually. When the weight of the tires unweight the springs. They shorten and the spring and shackle flip over

I usually try to reverse the process. Place blocks under the tires to get the equalizers in their normal position as I lower the rv. I lower one side at a time if both sides have flipped. Once one side is corrected. It helps force the other side to straighten itself out.

Seems simple.

But sometimes I've had to wedge a board under the spring end at the shackle. But it helps to block the tires so the equalizers are level on both sides of the rv first.

I know I'd hurt myself if I tried this . . .

Nobody is more dangerous to me . . . than ME! :p

Heck . . . I blew out my left knee just vacuuming the Prowler! :rolleyes:

DOH!