Florescent Light to LED

DougS

Doug S
My 2011 Landmark has 10 florescent ceiling light fixtures in it and at a replacement price of approx. $100 per LED light, I was looking for a way to convert the florescent lights with LED lights. I saw a YouTube video by RVGeek where a light fixture was converted to 12 volt LED Strip Lights. My local BatteryPlus store sells bright white LED Strip Lights @ $3 per foot and they solder wires on each strip. I disconnected the non working circuit board, removed the light blubs, and wired in 3 strips of 16 inch LED Strip Lights. For $13 per fixture, I have a real bright white light. I think 2 strips of LED might be enough per fixture, but for my dark hallway, the 3 strips worked well for me. I had thought of buying LED replacement tubes at the Tampa RV Show, but at $35 a tube and each fixture has 2 tubes, I thought there had to be a better (cheaper) way.
Next light I plan on converting to LED is the welcome back light, but I think 2 strips of LED should be enough.

Attachments

• Light 4.jpg
    Light 4.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Light 5.jpg
    Light 5.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 107

jbeletti

Nice mod Doug. Love to se it if you're at the FL rally. Wonder if you can get the LED strips in a warmer color temperature?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Nice mod Doug. Love to se it if you're at the FL rally. Wonder if you can get the LED strips in a warmer color temperature?

Jim, do a google search on led strip lights and you will find there are a number of suppliers that provide strip lights by the roll that you can cut attach wires to and wire into the fixture. The strip lights come in a variety of colors including warm white. They also have them that change colors and with remotes. Price is the only limitation. We have not converted ours yet but have been researching it after seeing the video.

DougS

Doug S
As was mentioned, LEDs do come in different colors and "warmer coolers", however, the warmer coolers seem to start going into the blue range. I have a roll of LED Light Tape on order through Amazon, but the light fixture I fixed did not get the memo and gave out. I also ordered wire end clips so soldering will not be necessary. I think the picture makes the light look brighter and three strips might be too much. Since there is a wall switch, I might use the switch on the fixture to control only the center strip if we find it too bright. I guess a dimmer switch could also be installed.
I elected to remove the light starter circuit board since it was shorted and I wanted the space for the third strip. If two strips are going to be used, the circuit board can remain. Getting the circuit board out was a pain, it is riveted in, so I had to grind it out adding an extra 5 minutes.

FiremanBill

They do come in all colors for sure! We use those strips for our night flying RC Planes.

Attachments

• PB025386.jpg
    PB025386.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 56

jbeletti

Doug,

If you get the stuff before the FL rally, we could setup an assembly line on your picnic table to mod the rest of your fixtures :)

DougS

Doug S
Jim,
Just got back from BatteryPlus with 2 strips for welcome back light and 2 smaller ones for the bathroom. I did find out the LED Light Strips I bought are in the 5,000 K range. These are extra bright which I wanted for the hallway with the wardrobes, bathroom, and welcome back light. I ones I ordered are in the 3,200 K range which should be softer. I also found out that not all BattryPlus stores carry the LEDs.

The wire connectors I ordered should be in Saturdays mail, but the LED light strip will no be here till April 2, after the rally.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Doug, did you order the 3200k LED's and connectors from Batteries Plus?
The wheels are turning in here.

Peace
Dave

jjwink

We purchased LED's at the Good Sam Rally but their installation directions are not very clear. We have white and black wires coming out the ceiling. Which one of these is hot and which is ground? This is a ceiling fixture at the entrance door.

danemayer

We purchased LED's at the Good Sam Rally but their installation directions are not very clear. We have white and black wires coming out the ceiling. Which one of these is hot and which is ground? This is a ceiling fixture at the entrance door.

jjwink,

I wouldn't assume anything based on wire color. A 12V test light or a Volt Meter will answer your question.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We purchased LED light tubes at Tweetys.com and replaced the Florescents in the rig. One LED tube puts out more light than two florescents tubes. We love them. We put two LED tubes in one light and it is so bright we almost have to wear sunglasses.LOL