Food Committee for Rally 2007

arisce

Hello,
Just a note to let people who are thinking about coming to the 2nd Annual Rally that we all had a great time talking to each other over thr shared meals that Jim had organized for us. This year there is a FoodComm of 3 people who are in charge of organizing the meals, etc. I have posted a bit of information about the meals this year in Jim's area, so you may want to look there also.
Any ideas or suggestions? Any volunteers?

One proposal was BBQ potluck Thursday night to welcome everyone and get to know the new arrivals.Feedback, pls?

Karen, Big Horn RL 3600, site #411

arisce

Hello fellow Heartland owners,
We are continuing to plan for the next rally and starting to firm up our plans for the meals. So far, this is what has been suggested/agreed upon:
1. Thursday night BBQ outside at the sites with everyone contributing a dish.(Bring your own meat)
2. Friday breakfast at own trailer
3. Friday lunch-sandwiches, etc and box lunches for LSI crews at sites.
4. Friday supper-Amish meal at Yoders.
5. Sat breakfast at own trailer
6. Sat lunch and supper-sponsored by Heartland as we will probably be touring 1 or 2 of their factories.(menus still to be decided)
7. Sun breakfast-communal breakfast in the rented room

We will need volunteers for many areas. Volunteers are needed to purchase food to make the lunch on Friday as well as volunteers to make the lunches. Also we need set-up and clean-up crews for Friday lunches.
We will need volunteers to purchase food, make the breakfast on Sunday and then clean up as well.
As Thursday night's supper is potluck, we will need only a few volunteers to set up tables outside. What is needed are tables-if you have one, please consider bringing it to the rally.

If you are planning to come to the rally, please consider volunteering. Many hands make light work!
Please also start to think about what dish you can bring to the potluck BBQ supper-appetizer, salads, desserts, rolls, etc.
If you have a great dish for breakfast on Sunday that is easy to make, please let me know.

These plans are tentative but we are starting to finalize things, so if you have a comment or suggestion, please post it.
I know we had a blast at the rally last year and are anxious to return this year to see our Heartland friends and meet new ones.
Thanks.
Karen and the Food Committee

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Thanks Karen and William,
I have a suggestion for everybody that will be attending the Rally. I remember that at the past Rally many people brought wonderful dishes to share. I thought it would be nice if the person who brought the dish could print out and share the recipes also. This would let everybody there know what is in the dish and if they really liked it, could snag the recipe too.

Thanks,

Mark

arisce

Great idea, Mark! So, attendees, if you bring a dish, please bring several(many) copies of your recipe. Looking forward to seeing you and Linda again at the rally.

jbeletti

So long as I get a copy of each recipe for those who want to share it at the rally, I will post them all in the 2007 rally recipes thread like we did for 2006. I still need to make Pat's carrot cake, Karen's brownies and Gene's goulash.

Jim

jcd8822

Joseph
We were just talking about the covered dish supper we had at this year's rally. I got to thinking how it worked out so well, considering no one knew who was bringing what. There was a good variety of great food. We did not end up with all salad, all veggies, or all deserts. (I saw that happen once.)

I also started thinking about a group that got together years ago for "progressive dinners." They had cocktails and hor dors at one home, moved on to another home for salad and main course, then ended up at another for desert. I never got excited about the driving from one house to another. One group that had the extra bucks in their pockets always used a chartered bus.

ANYWAY, we could do our own version of this where you had three groups, one for salads, one for main course dishes, and one for deserts. A couple could sign up for the gourp they wanted, or they could sign up for two if they were so inclined. Or, we could just publish a list under those three catagories and people could sign up that way. In doing something like this we will be assured of a great variety again next year.

Joseph

jbeletti

Joseph,

A progressive dinner in groups of trailers - that's a quite unique idea. Just thinking outloud here - wonder if we could work it out where we end the night so that we all end up in the rented building?

Jim

arisce

Joseph,
A unique idea! Perhaps if the rally is extended an extra day, we could include this type of supper one evening. Jim has a good idea of ending up in the rented building-for desserts and coffee/tea? and socializing. We could add appetizers to the beginning of the supper with salads and main dishes the next 2, followed by desserts in the building. The Food Comm will keep this in mind. Thanks.

gawelsh

My hysband George and I are planning to attend - our Mt Rushmore has been ordered and we're thinking of how much fun it will be to travel "out west" from central PA to meet everyone and "ooh and ah" over all the Landmarks :)

Trust me, you don't want me to be in charge of cooking anything - although we'll surely bring a covered dish for potluck. But we'll both volunteer to help with setting up and cleaning up - we're pretty darn good at that !

We'll keep communicating with everyone, as the plans for the rally evolve !!

arisce

George and Lindsey,
Thank you for volunteering to help with the setting up and clean-up. Much appreciated! We also might need large plastic/folding tables if we go ahead with the potluck BBQ supper on Thursday night. If you have one, is it possible to bring it along? Thanks.

arisce

Hello again,
The days for the rally have been finalized and remain at 4-Thursday to Sunday. So the above posting (#2) will be in effect. However, from reading the messages on this forum, it seems many people will be coming in early (like us). So I am suggesting those "early birds" have a "progressive supper" on Wednesday night, meaning we travel from trailer to trailer, eating a different course at each site (see post #6 from Joseph). I think it would be lots of fun. If you are planning to come in early and would like to participate, pls drop me a line on this site. We would need appetizers, salads, main meals and finally desserts. I will bring an appetizer and a dessert. (But will also make the brownies for Thursday supper, so don't worry Jim, you will get them!) Feedback, please. Thanks.

Tom of Ypsi

Karen and William,
This sounds good to us all we have to do now is sign up when applicable. Also if you have any openings for checking in or cleaning up I (Tom) will volunteer and I do not know about Judy (she is working at the moment) but I am sure you can count on the two of us.
Thanks
Tom & Judy Atkinson

Paul & Nan

Paul and I will be there early, probably Monday-so we will be in for whatever in the way of dinners, help, etc. Nan

arisce

Thank you Paul and Nan. Have put both of you down on my list. Anything you wouldn't mind doing for the Food Comm? Any special dish you would like to make for Wednesday's progressive supper or Thursday's potluck BBQ?

arisce

Thanks Tom and Judy.
We are looking forward to meeting you both at the rally. We had a blast last year and can't wait to return this year. We made so many new friends and it is really enjoyable to hear from them on this forum or thru e-mails. We also ate VERY well last year so we hope the Food Committee will be as good as last year's.

Tom of Ypsi

Karen & William, We are also looking forward to next years rally and hopefully we will be there a few days early. If the house sells by then we can be anywhere we want at anytime we want since we will be fulltimers. Looking at last years rally pictures we did notice one thing wrong, we were not there like we were suppose to be. Hopefully things will be better next year.
Keep up the good work, much appreciated, and hope to hear more from you soon.
Tom & Judy

gawelsh

Thursday Nite Potluck

Hi,Karen & William - George & I will be arriving on Thursday and will help in any way possible with the potluck that nite - I can make a wonderful 'southwestern' appetizer with Lime-flavored Doritos that is out of this world. Or I can prepare 'western potatoes' that I cook in the oven as a side dish. Tell me what you need. George & I will help set up, tear down etc and have a table that can be used - about 4 - 5 ft long. I'm
not a great cook , but we'll work hard for food:) We're coming in from Central PA and are so excited about the Rally....can't wait to meet everyone !!

Princess Kathleen

Arriving early

Hi,
We will be arriving early and would like to participate in the progressive supper by cooking a gumbo....

PK and Vance