Forum Issues - June to August 2012

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Forum

Yes this has been a problem lately.
It is being addressed, but may take some time.

Peace
Dave

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

Not ten minutes ago, and last night at 3am.

I agree...it has been terrible here. Making it difficult to some pre-planning for our 2013 event. In addition to the "busy" error I am having problems with the PM edit window including creating links etc. I think if we wait a few days they will get it ironed out!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

I spent some time with Jim Beletti Saturday. He assured me he is aware of the situation and he is doing everything in his power to get this resolved. Please be patient. There's more to it than most realize.

Westwind

Re: Server Question

Thanks for the reply, now I know it's not me. Also thanks to all that keep this forum going. I know it takes work and I and I'm sure others greatly appreciate the time that you put into it.

jimtoo

BOB,,,, take 3 deep breaths,,think cool ocean breeze,, relax..drink a cool one... LK is working on it. :)

jdfishing

I've gotten into the habit of not "logging out" when I'm done on the forum. It makes it a little easier when I return. Basically just lazy. Am I contributing to the problem of a "busy server?"

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

I've gotten into the habit of not "logging out" when I'm done on the forum. It makes it a little easier when I return. Basically just lazy. Am I contributing to the problem of a "busy server?"
I do the same thing. It's a good question though.

rick_debbie_gallant

It seems that all of this "server busy" stuff started with the advent of the different apps available for phones and other devices. Before then there did not seem to be the problem. Any body else notice this as being the case.

ILH

Last night was particularly bad - couldn't read or post angthing. After about 30 minutes, I finally gave up and turned off the PC.

pegmikef

Now it seems to be becoming more frequent. I have been getting bumped out almost everytime I have used the forum in the last couple of days. Doesn't seem related to time of day or number of users.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I agree ... it is becoming more frequent and yes more frustrating. And I too remain logged on and just close the browser. Don't know is I am adding to the problem. Since many of us do that, if that is part of the problem maybe some sort of announcement about that can be made. Guess this is a mixed blessing ... an indication of success

wdk450

I am surprised to see over 300 users on the forum most every time I check in. I guess with over 15,000 units sold this might be expected.
How do the Microsoft or Apple websites handle the large volume???

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

On other thing I have noticed is my page count will only go to 14 and not higher. It used to go higher that that but lately only to 14 even though I know there are more pages.

danemayer

I am surprised to see over 300 users on the forum most every time I check in. I guess with over 15,000 units sold this might be expected.
How do the Microsoft or Apple websites handle the large volume???

I spent quite a bit of my work life managing server product lines and performance was always a key concern.

Large companies that have many thousands of simultaneous users employ a large network of servers. Sometimes its a very large number of small servers. Sometimes it's a smaller group of very large servers. All kinds of combinations exist to handle very large numbers of simultaneous users. Expensive load balancing software and high-end databases and related tools are used to maintain performance. Software licenses in this category can easily run into 6 figures annually for a larger server. A large server can also easily sell for 6 figures. I'm out of date on Microsoft, but I visited their server farm in 1993. At that time, they used hundreds of small Intel-based servers that cost upwards of $15K apiece and one midrange computer that probably cost upwards of $500K. That was before the internet boom of the late 90s. By comparison, web traffic was miniscule back then.

By contrast, this forum is the relatively small VBulletin application that probably runs on a shared space of a small server. It's mostly written in PHP code, which is an interpreted language that runs much slower than compiled languages. The database that actually stores the information is probably on another shared server owned by the same service provider. There are usually no load balancing tools except for some primitive capabilities built into the application. The database is almost certainly the free MySQL software that is very good, but has much less capability than the IBM or Oracle database software used by large companies. I'm in no way denigrating VBulletin or MySQL. They're both great programs. But large companies spend a lot of money to get better software.

So this is not to say that our current problems require a move to a large distributed network, or to expensive software. For what this forum does, the setup is probably quite adequate, but there's a yet to be determined problem that's affecting performance. It could turn out that we've hit some threshhold and a dedicated server (instead of a shared server) might be the answer, but it's more likely that something isn't working the way it's supposed to and it's just hard to figure out the problem.

Incidentally, I'm assuming Heartland is paying the bills for this forum as well as for the Heartlandrvs.com website. If it were up to me, I'd spend more money on the Heartlandrvs.com website performance first. I've noticed it's improved recently, but slow performance there is a sure way to lose sales. The site design is pretty, but the response time is generally very poor. Investing in a dedicated server would be a good move there, along with getting better help on how to combine pretty design with fast response.

RanCarr

Why the constant problem connecting to this Forum?

I didn't know where else to post this but connecting to this Forum is really becoming a problem. I get the "server too busy" error for days now and yet this is one of the slowest forums I've ever been on. Maybe the server should be changed to one that allows more than a handful of people to connect at one time. How on earth can it be "Too busy" 24/7? :(